PDA

View Full Version : Losing Antifreez

NoGeezsGap
02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
I am losing about 1/2 galon of antifreez every 200mis. but it is not leaking and I don't see any white smoke from the exhaust pipe. I did notice that my windows fog up when I have the heater set on recirculate.
Could it be that I losing it from a bad heater core?
Thanks,jim

russiankid
02-21-2007, 04:21 PM
What color is your oil. Do you notice any oil deposits in the coolant?

NoGeezsGap
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I haven't realy looked

MessyHonda
02-21-2007, 04:25 PM
pressure test the cooling system

NoGeezsGap
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
smokes on warm up but i won't call it white smoke

russiankid
02-21-2007, 04:28 PM
just on warm up but I won't call it white smoke
Smell the white smoke on warm up. If it doesn't smell like burned gas of some sort, then your head gasket could be blown.

lostforawhile
02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
pull the carpet back from the passenger foot well and see if it's soaked,you would be amazed at what that padding can absorb. actually check under the carpet near the center of the car right under the dash,the heater core itself is almost behind the area where the levers are.it's built into the back of the unit with all the airdoors etc in it. your windows fogging up on defrost is almost a dead givaway that it's your heater core.

w261w261
02-21-2007, 06:12 PM
1. Take a look at the oil on your dipstick. If it looks gooey, like an emulsion, then that's water mixed in, and you probably have a head gasket leak.
2. Take a look at your coolant. Wait til the engine is cool, then take off your radiator cap. If the coolant has an oil slick in it, then combustion products are probably getting into it, via the same blown head gasket.
3. Buy a bottle of Barr's. It has little worm-like things in it, which may fix a small leak. It can't hurt, usually. Follow directions.
4. If you have your heater on "recirculate," the moisture from your and your passengers' breath is building up on the windows. Change the setting to "fresh." If it goes away it's not your heater core. Usually, when the heater core is leaking, you will notice a wet passenger carpet, or the smell will be kind of sweet, and there will be a deposit on the bottom of the windshield.