PDA

View Full Version : Fan Has A Mind Of It's Own!!!

azazel_18_2
02-22-2007, 09:36 AM
I can rebuild engine and transmission but HATE and I mean HATE Wiring problems. My radiator fan has a mind of it's own. It can be the hottest day in August and the fan will never come on and it will run the correct Temp. It can be 20 degrees outside and drive it for a mile and the fan will kick on!!! It does this intermittenly. I replaced the coolant temp switch that controlls the fan and the fan relay and still have the same problem. Sometimes after I kill it regardless of the temp I will go outside 5 minutes later and the fan will kick on and run for a while. It's pretty annoying having my heater have a hard time getting warm when it's 20 outside and my fans are running most of the time. HELP!!!!

LX-incredible
02-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Are both fans running? As for the little fan coming on after the car sits, I believe it's controlled by the one of the thermosensors on the thermostat housing pipe, not the one on the radiator. You can check your fans: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57926 Post #17

azazel_18_2
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Ok. I have replaced the sensor on the housing. There was 2 different ones so I replaced them both. Just the radiator fan comes on, not the one for the condensor. I have already tested the fan and they work they just kick on sometimes when they aren't needed!

LX-incredible
02-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Anytime the the main cooling fan is on, the auxiliary should be on as well. The auxiliary is the only fan that should come on independently and only when the engine is extremely hot and switched off. Check the operation of that round metal relay.

shepherd79
02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
actually, the main fan is controlled by a switch/sensor on the bottom of radiator. check it.

the smaller fan will only come on if you have AC on. when you turn AC on, both fan should come on at the same time.

when AC is off, only larger fan will kick in when engine gets hot.

azazel_18_2
02-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I will replace the sensor on the bottom of the radiator. To bad I didn't replace it when I replaced the radiator a month ago!!!

LX-incredible
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Both fans on mine will run when its hot, even when the AC is off. The only time a fan runs independently is when the engine is very hot and the car is shut off and that is the aux fan. Is this normal, has something been modified? All wiring looks stock.

MessyHonda
02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
yeah i replaced my radiator cuz the guy i got it from blew it...i didnt replace the lil switch...and then my car started to overheat...what i did was bypass the switch so when i turn on my car the fans kick in....and yeah....also check your termostat after i replaced mine the engine would warm up faster even with the fans on all the time

shepherd79
02-23-2007, 05:46 AM
yeah i replaced my radiator cuz the guy i got it from blew it...i didnt replace the lil switch...and then my car started to overheat...what i did was bypass the switch so when i turn on my car the fans kick in....and yeah....also check your termostat after i replaced mine the engine would warm up faster even with the fans on all the time

why would you bypass it? you don't want fans running all the time. your car probably running cooler than it should be, thus you gas mileage sucks.
just get a damn switch and put everything the way it was from a factory.

ps. replace thermostat with OEM one. it is a lot better quality, and it will help to heat up the car faster in cold weather.

MessyHonda
02-23-2007, 09:25 AM
why would you bypass it? you don't want fans running all the time. your car probably running cooler than it should be, thus you gas mileage sucks.
just get a damn switch and put everything the way it was from a factory.
ps. replace thermostat with OEM one. it is a lot better quality, and it will help to heat up the car faster in cold weather.

ok you know wut im going to order the 24 buck switch today.... and i did replace the thermostat with OEM

i went to go cheap and i got like 3 from the junkyard....i had to drain the radiator 2 times...and it did not work....so yeah i bypassed it.