PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

1989se-i
09-06-2002, 12:34 PM
Im new to this so i dont know if this is normal: I was lookin at my belts when my car was running, and the fuel pump "pulley" seemed to be wiggling back forth a little bit.

Is this normal, or should i replace my fuel pump?

If it needs to be replaced, can i get a non-direct drive type, high performance fuel pump.

Maybe I should just replace it......

Also.... can i put a smaller pulley (to make the fuel pump spic faster) on my fuel pump, to increase fuel pressure...?

anchovies
09-06-2002, 01:01 PM
fuel pump pulley?
Where is it?

dj99
09-06-2002, 01:08 PM
Don't think so. Maybe your A/C compressor belt, water pump belt, power steering pump belt or alternator belt, but no such thing as a fuel pump belt. Your fuel pump is in your fuel tank.

1989se-i
09-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Lol. I knew that... i was just testing you guys...... ;)

The thing that has a wiggly pulley is right above the compressor.

AZmike
09-06-2002, 03:08 PM
That's your power steering pump. If the pulley bolt is tight you might be able to bend the pulley straight, but if everything is tight and it's still working I wouldn't worry about it. You might end up doing more harm than good if you screw up trying to straighten things out. If it ever does go bad a used pump is about $70 at a yard.

smufguy
09-07-2002, 08:23 AM
i can get a used altenator, distributor, pwr steering pump and a compressor all for $25 each.

well anwayz, if ur talkign about the one all the way on the top near the valve cover, its your pwr steering pump. so when the car is not cold. push on the belt and see how much it deflects and also look under the belt to see if its fucked up. IF its not, ur all set. If its messed up change it and also. the pwr steering pump is adjustable as u know by moving the lower bolt which would loosen or tighten ur belt tension.