PDA

View Full Version : Bought A Transmission

HondaBoy
02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
well, for the 5 years i've had my 3gee, its never had a good transmission. always had pretty hard shifts. a couple of years ago, it started slipping so i did a fluid change. within the last few weeks, it has started slipping bad and would erraticly shift gears and sometimes just not go into the gears. so now, its totally screwed. when i start the car, it has a whine to it and as it warms up will not go into gears at all. so today i went and paid for a new transmission, another automatic. i think the car is an '88 that its out of. i paid $220 for it and has a 30 day guarantee, which means if it doesnt work out, i can go back and exchange it. hopefully, i can put it in and not run into any major problems. the car has 177000 miles, but from people that i know the 88-89 transmissions dont have so many problems. my uncle has one and it still shifts really nice. i've drove a few differnt years and seems like the newer ones shift through the gears better. my friend has an '86 and is starting to have the hard shifting that mine started with. anyways, i should be picking it up on monday and try to get it in that day. i think sunday i will take the old one out so i dont have to mess with it when i get the new one.

MessyHonda
02-23-2007, 10:55 PM
how much did you end up spending.....i paid like 400 bucks for a JDM tranny....came with like 40k....first one didnt go into 4th gear....so i got another one....(oh yeah 6 month warranty)......and it works alright...sometimes going into 4th it feels like it does not shift as smooth cuz the engine revs up to like 4k and then back down...depending on how hard i have the pedal down on the floor

shepherd79
02-24-2007, 05:53 AM
how much did you end up spending.....i paid like 400 bucks for a JDM tranny....came with like 40k....first one didnt go into 4th gear....so i got another one....(oh yeah 6 month warranty)......and it works alright...sometimes going into 4th it feels like it does not shift as smooth cuz the engine revs up to like 4k and then back down...depending on how hard i have the pedal down on the floor

when ever i see those claims that JDM enines and trannies have 40-50K miles on them, i laugh all the time.
it is not likely you will find engine or tranny that is 20 years old with that many miles.
a lot of them have double the mileage they claim to have.

i hope that tranny works out for you hondaboy. why don't you just convert to 5 speed and forget about auto problems.

MessyHonda
02-24-2007, 07:57 AM
when ever i see those claims that JDM enines and trannies have 40-50K miles on them, i laugh all the time.
it is not likely you will find engine or tranny that is 20 years old with that many miles.
i hope that tranny works out for you hondaboy. why don't you just convert to 5 speed and forget about auto problems.

yeah it all depends.....but the inside of the engine was clean even when i blew out the headgasket...

HondaBoy
02-24-2007, 11:19 AM

it was going to cost me a few hundred more that i dont have to convert it to manual. other than that, i'd have no problem converting it to a manual. with a manual, i'd need the tranny, cv axles, linkage, shifter assembly, pedal set, master cylinder, clutch and flywheel, along with the rest of the little stuff that goes with it. so probably would spend upwards of $450. i spend about $220 with the auto. its from a yard that i know and they are legit with paper work and all. but, later on possibly within this year i plan to do a 5 speed swap. but i want to get a bunch of parts together so i can rebuild it.

shepherd79
02-24-2007, 05:50 PM
why do you need master cylinder?
you don't need that.
all you need is driver side axle, pedals, tranny with flywheel and clutch set, and shifter with linkages.
everything else is electrical.

Oldblueaccord
02-24-2007, 06:58 PM

I have used those Japan motors before. My understanding is they dont drive far in Japan and that there some kinda rule that after a certain milage that the motors need to be replaced so they sell them overseas. Now the flip of that is most of the motors you see here are from like taxi cabs and delivery trucks (22r toyotas) so thats where the milage gets rung up.

As far as the auto you just gotta find someone that can rebuild them correctly and I'd use and external filter system on the fluid and a cooler to boot.

wp

HondaBoy
02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
yeah, thats a real bitch that the tranny has no pan that pops off. i've really never seen too many cars with it like that except for hondas. i'm probably taking the automatic transmission service class next semester, so i will likely bring my old one to tear down. dunno if i want to rebuild it because i will most likely get a manual tranny later on if i find a decent one and also if i have money for it. anyways, i'll be researching into what to do for the manual swap since i have a vauge idea of what needs to be done. if i do go manual, i'll go ahead and get a new clutch assmebly and get the flywheel resurfaced. or better yet a light weight one. probably want to get a rev limiter also, but that'll come when i get the ignition box.

Oldblueaccord
02-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah its the absolute worst thing Honda has ever done no pan to drop and change the filter.

wp

MessyHonda
02-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah its the absolute worst thing Honda has ever done no pan to drop and change the filter.
wp

also the pitchfork......cuz you have to remove it to replace the axle ...honda really screwed up on thoes .

bullard123
02-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Jdm engines and tranny's are calculated in km's which are less than miles and also many good running cars don't pass inspection so they aren't driveable therefore they import the useless engines and tranny's out of them.

HondaBoy
02-26-2007, 12:42 AM
also the pitchfork......cuz you have to remove it to replace the axle ...honda really screwed up on thoes .

pinch fork? i dunno, but i never had to replace anything when replacing an axle. my tranny didnt even reqire draining the fluid before axle swaps. i guess tomorrow i will try and get my tranny here and put in. dunno if i'm going to get that done or not.

MessyHonda
02-26-2007, 08:52 AM
pinch fork? i dunno, but i never had to replace anything when replacing an axle. my tranny didnt even reqire draining the fluid before axle swaps. i guess tomorrow i will try and get my tranny here and put in. dunno if i'm going to get that done or not.

you will see what im talking about when your axel does not go thru the pitch fork

HondaBoy
02-26-2007, 04:23 PM
oh, i know what your talking about now. i just use a pry bar and it comes right through. not that hard, but i'm not going to be on a lift either. thats what i did last time i replaced the axles.

HondaBoy
02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
well picked it up today. by the fluid color which was redish, looks good. mine was dark brown the first time i changed the fluid and recently when it quit working.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05751.jpg

russiankid
02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
oh, i know what your talking about now. i just use a pry bar and it comes right through. not that hard, but i'm not going to be on a lift either. thats what i did last time i replaced the axles.
I just use a very long screw driver, works great.

MessyHonda
02-27-2007, 08:16 PM
eww auto...

HondaBoy
03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
nah, auto is nice. this is my daily driver so its great for the city. manual gets tiring in traffic. anyways got my old one out and the new one is ready to go in. should have it done tomorrow. my uncle that is staying with us is helping me do this so its going well.

you can see where my distributor has leaked all over the transmission. i've had the O ring for it for a long time but never replaced it. so now i'm going to so that mess doesnt happen again from happening again.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05754.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05752.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05757.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/DSC05755.jpg

MessyHonda
03-03-2007, 12:47 AM
nah, auto is nice. this is my daily driver so its great for the city. manual gets tiring in traffic

well im too busy not being in trafic......you know you are a smart driver when you can take 2 or 3 ways AKA short cuts home. last time i got trafic and i took the streets to the next back way...i was flying 45-50 on some lonly back way streets it saved me like 20-30 mins.

teck
03-03-2007, 06:46 AM
good luck on the tranny. and lol @ messy i drive mostly backroads and i fly like that

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I'll jump in with a good tip for us manual guys. Always but a bead of permatex around the bell housing when changing tranny or doing a clutch. It saves oil coming down and ruining the clutch. Its and old Chevy 350 trick I learned.

Check your thermostat housing real good for leaks its a good time to fix it out in the open like that. It looks crusty.

wp

HondaBoy
03-03-2007, 03:46 PM
today i got the transmission up and bolted to the engine. now i need to do a few more things and it should be done tonight, but i wont hold to that.

HondaBoy
03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
well monday i got the transmission going. i've been driving the car all week and it shifts really nice. my original never shifted this nice for as long as i've had it. also, seems like the torque converter is better in this one. i think my other one was slipping bad. take for instance it was getting to be pretty hard to pass 100 mph, now it just pulls along easily.