PDA

View Full Version : Vtec

Immeraufdemhund
09-06-2002, 01:01 PM
What would be needed to get VTEC in our cars? or is it even possible with a modest budget?

netfreak
09-06-2002, 01:11 PM
Get a B20 swap with VTEC head or a B16A. I'll bet it would cost more to get a VTEC A20A if it's even remotely possible.

B16A's run for $1100 USD I think.. Thats a complete package too with ECU, axles, tranny.

matrixdrrrrr
09-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by netfreak
Get a B20 swap with VTEC head or a B16A. I'll bet it would cost more to get a VTEC A20A if it's even remotely possible.

B16A's run for $1100 USD I think.. Thats a complete package too with ECU, axles, tranny.

what the hell? 1100 usd? thats insane! where is this deal if you don't mind me asking... everywhere i've seen its like 5600 +...and thats with no tranny.. has like hydro converters.. thats it..

djsbon
09-11-2002, 03:25 PM
my friend got a b16a ('90) from canada with $1550 USD

night
09-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by matrixdrrrrr

what the hell? 1100 usd? thats insane! where is this deal if you don't mind me asking... everywhere i've seen its like 5600 +...and thats with no tranny.. has like hydro converters.. thats it..

anything in the 5xxx range is gonna be an R engine.
a 1st gen b16 is dirt cheap. ive seen em for 800-1500

netfreak
09-11-2002, 09:01 PM
http://www.jspecauto.com/engine%20prices.html
http://www.jdmhondaparts.com/engines.htm

Anyone else with cheaper prices please post. I'm looking to do the B16A swap sometime.

Immeraufdemhund
09-12-2002, 04:55 AM
that one at jspecauto. What all does it include? Cause that is a nice price. I'm assuming we would still have to get Mounts. I do have a question though. How does a person put on those engine mounts? do they weld it on there? I'm not looking to do it cause i wouldn't want to mess it up, but i'm just curious.

Immeraufdemhund
09-12-2002, 04:58 AM
Another quick questoin. Which one is more economical, the b20 or the b16? I'm assuming the b16 since it's found in 1st gen cars. But with having to get parts over all which one would be cheaper?

Immeraufdemhund
09-12-2002, 05:02 AM
Even though i'd be leary of getting any engines off of ebay here's a site that is selling a bunch of things i with a b16a.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1561546435

netfreak
09-12-2002, 10:31 AM
The complete package price includes tranny, ECU, axles, and whatever else it says. You will need the mounts. I believe they just bolt on to the frame.

The b16a is newer than the b20 and has more support but lacks the torque that the bigger engine has. It's also a VTEC engine which the b20 is not without a head swap.

superaccord
09-12-2002, 02:16 PM
The B16 motor has really dissapointed me. It only has 111 lbs of torque. Our cars come stock with more than that. The damn motor wont pull the heavy car very strongly. If I were you guys looking for vtec, low prices, and after market support, dont get the b20 or the b16. Get a non vtec B series motor, and put a vtec head on it. Take an american Ls integra motor with like 127lbs of torque or something like that with 140hp. U put the vtec head on it , it will raise the numbers on both. Thats the ultimate swap. beside the type r, and gsr.

night
09-12-2002, 04:00 PM
yall need to give it up with the torque thing.

122lbs of torque at 4000 rpm and a 4.06 final drive is complete shit compared to 111lbs at 7000rpm and a 4.4 final drive.

superaccord
09-12-2002, 05:47 PM
I still say Ls motor with Vtec head over B16, and so does Super Street, and Import Tuner. Torque is important bro..

wickedaccord
09-12-2002, 07:41 PM
IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEBODY HAS SPOKEN ABOUT THE TORQUE THING THAT'S BEEN GOING ON IN HERE FOR "YEARS" sure i believe that torque is good with short runs, but whoever like to do light to light or freeway races or quarter mile runs, should know that a vtec motor will always win over a non vtec motor. I GAURANTEE anyone here, that my gsr motor WILL take out ur FULLY BUILT A20 motor. im not trying to be big headed or have a big ego. but reading posts in the 3geez since 1999 about the b16 in our car is a total understatement about the lack of torque. like NIGHT said, a20 torque dies at 4000.. while the b16 will still be goin to 7000rpm. hell, if u havent driven a car with a b16 motor, then u shouldnt judge just yet.

jus got my GSR motor done. will post up pics TOMORROW!

PEACE!!

jon

wickedaccord
09-12-2002, 07:44 PM
by the way.. ls/vtec is not always good. unless u got the money to spend on buying new pistons or even a new head all the time then go for it. and i know, a lot of ppl here dont like to spend the money (no offense!) becuz i like to keep the money side on a good budget too. but friends who do ls/vtec, it's funny to see them look for parts for their motor every month. good luck with ls/vtec!

jon

pric
09-12-2002, 07:52 PM
The B16 motor has really dissapointed me. It only has 111 lbs of torque. Our cars come stock with more than that. The damn motor wont pull the heavy car very strongly. If I were you guys looking for vtec, low prices, and after market support, dont get the b20 or the b16. Get a non vtec B series motor, and put a vtec head on it. Take an american Ls integra motor with like 127lbs of torque or something like that with 140hp. U put the vtec head on it , it will raise the numbers on both. Thats the ultimate swap. beside the type r, and gsr.

The 3rd gen is actually lighter than the 99 Si. Ya'll keep talking about peak power that is not what it is all about. It's about the power band, were you make that power and how long you make it across the rpm range. Plus having the gears matched up to your power band.

wickedaccord: You might want to take a look at justanothermike's dyno sheet of his all motor A20A3 the torque does not die @ 4000. However, don't get me wrong the B18C is hard to beat real nice motor you got there it has the ability to make lot's of power. Can't wait to see some pic's!!!!!

night
09-12-2002, 11:03 PM
nice dyno, but i think he is running a pretty good cam. which can be kind of decieving. the CR and PnP is all he really has left. if he pushes the cam much more it wont be streetable. which is the ONLY adavantage of VTEC. you can get some wild ass cams and still keep a near perfect idle.

yes, building a B costs more, but you know they have more potential. unless you think you can reach 230+ whp with an A20.

i am building a CRVtec and expect 210hp minimum and high 150's torque at the wheels. maybe i could do it with an A20 if i wanted to trailer it to the track, but i dont. i also want to hear 9000+ RPM.

that said. i hope mike keeps pushing the hell out of it. its cool to see. i would like to build one for a crx one day. just for the hell of it....

theBeline
09-14-2002, 05:11 PM
I'm getting a B16A for 1500 with everything! Including labor!!! HOW SICK IS THAT!? Next is a supercharger from the same guys! HEHEHE

toastyghost
09-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by netfreak
The complete package price includes tranny, ECU, axles, and whatever else it says. You will need the mounts. I believe they just bolt on to the frame.

The b16a is newer than the b20 and has more support but lacks the torque that the bigger engine has. It's also a VTEC engine which the b20 is not without a head swap.

I think you're confused about which B20 we're discussing here... the B20/VTEC swap is done with a CR-V motor, not the JDM B20A or USDM Prelude B20 you're probably thinking.

netfreak
09-14-2002, 06:58 PM
Oh.. you can't head swap the jdm b20a to VTEC?

RobT5580
09-15-2002, 05:16 PM
theBeline, i dont think you will be able to get a supercharger on that engine under our hood. If its the Jackson Racing one it looks like out master cylinder is in the way and even with the Vortec i think the powersteering is in the way unless you drop power steering and put in the extra money for the vortec and thats if it will fit on the other end. and if you doing the swap you will need more than the mounts, the axles, shift linkage, wiring, ac bracket, throttle cable bracket are all different you will need at minimum the mounts, axles, throttle cable bracket which is roughly $900 additional to the motor.

DarknessRS
09-16-2002, 02:58 AM
Actually with the right camshaft, you don't even need VTEC to get the most power out of a car. You could take a Type R Integra, and replace its VTEC Camshaft with a lighter performance one, and its output would be higher.

For those who don't know too much about the VTEC system: it is just a camshaft that can 'change modes' at certain RPMs so that its suitable for both normal driving and high end driving.

The same engine with a camshaft that has the same settings as the 'VTEC part' of the VTEC camshaft would be just as powerful without the VTEC system.

wickedaccord
09-16-2002, 06:26 PM
to pric: yes ive seen that dyno run. u can NOT compare a dyno tuned vehicle to a one that hasnt been dynoed. im sure his car was tuned to get that power band. soooo, if u think about it with a dohc., the dohc vtec will always produce more power. i gaurantee! dont tell me the sohc is better. i admit, it is a good power band, but how was it without tuning it. not everyone is gonna have or afford to fine tune their car. so y dont u do the same with ATLEAST a b20 and compare the final results. that's all im saying........

jon