PDA

View Full Version : front suspension noise

timber_cruiser
02-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I have a 1989 lx accord. I recently replaced the upper control arms w/ ball joints and bushings, and also the front shocks and upper mount bushings. I still have an annoying front end knock and rattle when I drive over small bumps in the road. I have checked everything I can think of for loose fit. The tie rods, steering and sway bar bushings seem tight. Any ideas on what could cause this? The noise seems to come from the drivers front end.

w261w261
02-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Sounds like the strut rod bushings. One strut rod is on each side, they point towards the front of the car. Two bushings per rod. See nos. 7 & 8 here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+LOWER+ARM

timber_cruiser
02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. These are low cost bushings so I will replace both sides.

Oldblueaccord
02-24-2007, 10:42 PM
another thing thats real annoying is the caliper pins wear and let the calipers rattle around. My car was real bad with it with just 100k miles on them. I ended up replacing the pins and the brackets as well and I keep them lubed with the thickest grease I can find.

it was the small bumps that it rattled the worst.

Strut bushing are the best upgrade you can do to your suspension stock. Buy new lock nuts dont reuse the old ones theyll just keep coming loose.

wp

MessyHonda
02-25-2007, 12:50 AM
mine would not rattle but i had a annoying squeak and after i replace my lower ball joints the noise went away.

LX-incredible
02-25-2007, 10:17 AM
After I replaced my front suspension components, I had a knocking noise from the passenger side when going over bumps. The sound later evolved into a creaking noise, it was the ball joint on the cheap $33.00 upper control arm that I bought. Have someone push down on the front of the car while you feel the various components, the vibrations should help you pinpoint the source of the noise.

timber_cruiser
02-25-2007, 01:08 PM
I replaced the strut rod bushings and lubed the brake caliper pins with heavy grease. Both good advice since I solved the rattle and noise problem.

One question - after replacing the strut rod bushings do I need to do a front end alignment?

MessyHonda
02-25-2007, 11:39 PM
only if you feel the car pulling to one side......i just rebalanced my wheels and it helped out alot.

w261w261
02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
While we're on the subject of front end noises....whenever you put in new bushings...particularly the upper control arm bushings, make sure you lube them with silicone grease. When they start to squeak, it's too late to get anything in there. The other bushings ditto.