PDA

View Full Version : just got the bumper painted (again)

lostforawhile
02-24-2007, 10:25 PM
just finished repainting the bumper again,the rocks and gravel had really taken a toll on it. I also put my lens housings back in for my european rear fogs. this time I put a layer of rock guard under the paint over the primer. this is on the underside half of the rear bumper. I also found a couple of rear mudflaps. I was painting the rear mudflaps,now i have to sand them all down again,one fell off the wire in the dirt,the other had runs in the flex primer. for an idea what this involved-,the old paint had to be sanded off,all the dings had to be filled with flexiblr repair compound,sanded down,layer of flex primer,masked off,painted with three coats of rock guard,pulled tape off,dicovered masking screw up,lots of cuss words,remasked corner of bumper,redid rock guard on corner,feathered edges of rock guard,cleaned bumper,wet sanded bumper,found more dings,fixed dings,wetsanded bumper,repeat about ten times,cleaned with final prep,sprayed top coat, discovered area had lifted,wetsanded down,resprayed area, rinse, lather ,repeat etc.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/bodywork1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/bodywork2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/bodywork3.jpg

forrest89sei
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Very Nice.

You doing it Panda?

lostforawhile
02-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Very Nice.
You doing it Panda?yea pandas do it in black and white. LOL I hope to get another half of the car primed on monday or tuesday.

lostforawhile
02-24-2007, 10:39 PM
oh for the record,thats the nappa tech brand flex primer,thats a pro grade primer,also their martin seymore rock guard,crap that stuff is expensive! I use the duplicolor bumper coating,it gives the correct look for the black plastic bumpers. it works really well as long as you put it over a good plastic primer base. if you don't it has a tendency to chip. trying to paint the bumper black with regular automotive paint just doesn't look the same.

MessyHonda
02-25-2007, 12:48 AM
yup i would have to take off my rear bumper to see the real damage.

Civic Accord Honda
02-25-2007, 12:53 AM
cool thats what i want to do when i get 86-87 DX bumpers

lostforawhile
02-25-2007, 09:16 AM
hey does anybody know if the other body styles have the same metal inner bumper? this one came off a hatch at the junkyard,the only one I've ever found, and it must have been a northern car. I could sandblast it,but it might be eaisier to find another one. this was rusted out and the piece under the lights was rotted out. that piece was enough work. both came off of the same car. both those parts on my car were damaged when I got it, from a wreck that smashed that corner of the car. all fixed now though.

teck
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
nice

mushroom_toy
02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
The inner bumper parts (the metal brace) They are the same. When I had my wreck I got one off of a hatch but my car is a sedan.

RamThis
02-25-2007, 09:26 PM
NAPA Tec Prime is all I use. Just bought a gallon of it, gallon of Reducer, and a quart of activator. 370 bucks worth. Shit's awesome, it'll stick to freakin chrome lol.

Today was a total loss, having to be the family man on my only day off really cramps my project's style. But this week I should be spraying primer in the evenings. Almost glad I didnt have time to spray this weekend, we had a HORRIBLE dust storm Saturday, tons of West Texas red dirt blew in, had gusts of 50MPH and up winds, and everything here is coated in a film of red dirt. Even the oil slicks in the center of the lanes at stop lights is coated in a red coat of dirt from West Texas. Would have been a horrible weekend to spray. Gotta de-dust my garage again lol.

wprocomp
02-26-2007, 12:31 AM
the bumper support is the same on all bodies but the 86-87 and 88-89 are not the same