PDA

View Full Version : idle revs by itself after water pump replacement

DaveEye
02-25-2007, 01:31 PM
okay, so i installed a new water pump and now at a stoplight the idle revs from around 800 rpm up to around 2,000 rpm, drops, then revs, drops, then revs...when i go to accelrate the car seems fine.
i found some info on this thread:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44606&highlight=idle+revs
but i also hear a clicking noise from under the hood. this didn't seem to get addressed in the previous thread. i haven't located where the noise is coming from. what i guess i need to do is to run the car and let the thermostat open and then refill the radiator again and see what happens. that clicking noise has me a little worried though (as well as the weird idle problem) because i have a 450 mile trip back home on tuesday night and don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night.
if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate it. thanks!

shepherd79
02-25-2007, 01:49 PM
you have air pocket in the cooling system. fast idle valve is not closint properly.
bleed the cooling system. and if it continues adjust the fast idle valve.

njpeter
02-25-2007, 05:37 PM
check the vac hoses near the crusie control, spraying a little gumout can help find the leak, asssuming the cooling system has been bled. I missed the cruise control hose, which had come off...but I did hear the telltale hiss.

DaveEye
02-25-2007, 07:53 PM
i topped off the coolant and that resolved the idle issue. the clicking noise is more like a crunching sound with intermittent gurgles. i'm thinking it may be coming from the tranny since my 5th gear went out on the trip down here. it's a pretty confusing sound, but i'll just hope i make the trip home and then get it checked out. car runs fine, it just makes some strange noises it didn't make before. thanks for all the info!

shepherd79
02-26-2007, 12:32 AM
you probably still have air buble in the cooling system. bleed the cooling system.