PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start.. worked 3 hours ago

frantik
02-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Ok so i'm stuck at work and my car won't start.. it ran fine a few hours ago. It's not even trying to turn over.. electrical is fine.. lights come on, windows roll down, etc.

any quick help? my only other option is to walk like an hour in the rain :\

LX-incredible
02-26-2007, 06:08 PM
If it is an auto, move the shifter to neutral and try to start, the contacts sometimes wouldn't connect in mine. Try several times, while jiggeling the shifter. Is it making a click when you turn the key? If so try tapping the starter with a hammer or lug wrench.

A20A1
02-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Try wiggling the key... also sometimes the battery will be weak but not weak enough to keep the other things from working.

Try check the connections

also this ground wire will allow everything else to work but will kill the motor.
but usually its cause someone forgot to reinstall it after removing it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/thermostat_ground.jpg

frantik
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
i checked the connections i could see.. everything looked fine. I did leave the wipers turned on when I turned the car off but they didnt stay on.

I have a manual. when i turn the key, i hear a click inside the car, but nothing coming from the engine bay. (at least that i can tell inside of the car). sometimes the engine light will light for a split second.. if i try to turn it over while it's in gear nothing at all happens differently (ie starter not trying to turn at all)

so i guess i should see if i can get a jump... damn i should have done that when there were still people here lol

frantik
02-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Try wiggling the key... also sometimes the battery will be weak but not weak enough to keep the other things from working.

Try check the connections

also this ground wire will allow everything else to work but will kill the motor.
but usually its cause someone forgot to reinstall it after removing it.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/thermostat_ground.jpg

where is that located?

LX-incredible
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Turn your lights on and try to start, If they don't dim a jump probably won't help. I would check the starter connections for looseness. Tapping on a bad starter has worked for me many a times. Do you have an alarm?

frantik
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
no alarm, no dimming of the lights when i start the car

how can i tap the starter? it's dark and raining outside and i have no tools except the lug wrench that comes with the car.. can i do it with this? i dont even know where the starter is actually lol but i do have a chilton manual

A20A1
02-26-2007, 06:28 PM
it's on the thermostat housing.

russiankid
02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
The starter is located under the thermostat housing. It is not very hard to find. It bolts right up to the tranny.

A20A1 beat me to it.

frantik
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
ok so i opened up my fuse box and there was a random fuse floating around in there with a 10 on it.. plus there's a spot for the ACG(S) which is missing a fuse.. should i put the fuse in this spot and/or should it have any affect? I have no idea what the ACG(S) means

Hmm is ACG the Alternating Current Generator? methinks this might be the problem.. but i dont want to put the fuse there and then fry my whole car...

LX-incredible
02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Beer can sized cylinder with a smaller cylinder attached to it, located under the thermostat housing. The lug wrench will do, just start tapping on the big cylinder. You will need some force, so be careful not to hit any wires/connectors.

LX-incredible
02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
As for the ACG(S) fuse, I don't know what it does, but the car starts without it.
Edit: With the fuse removed the alt light gomes on, so you are correct. If this was removed your battery may very well be low.

frantik
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
i put the fuse in, got a jump, still nothing...

i had this problem one time before but after a few key turns it started right up

oh well i got a ride home so ill leave it for tomorrow :\

shepherd79
02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
you know all you have to do is push the car in nutral, put in gear and let go of clutch and it will start.
that is why 5 speed is awesome. your starter probably locked up.

LX-incredible
02-26-2007, 07:08 PM
If you can, go back with a buddy, have him try to start it while you tap on the starter. Sometimes slamming a door while holding the key in start does it. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier.:(

ghettogeddy
02-26-2007, 07:10 PM
If you can, go back with a buddy, have him try to start it while you tap on the starter. Sometimes slamming a door while holding the key in start does it. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier.:(
push start is 10x easyer

A20A1
02-26-2007, 07:11 PM
did you try jiggling the key yet?

w261w261
02-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Could this be the ignition switch?

frantik
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
did you try jiggling the key yet?
lol i jiggled them hella..

i'm gonna try to push start it tomorrow.. it's all wet and shit outside right now i'd never get any traction on the ground. i did try to get the starter/flywheel to move by rolling back a bit (i'm parked on an incline with the rear facing downhill) but when i put it into gear i stopped rolling

i felt so sad when i was driving away from my baby.. parked all night by herself in a strange lot :crying:

LX-incredible
02-26-2007, 07:35 PM
push start is 10x easyer
Oops, I forgot it was a manual.

Could this be the ignition switch?
It could, but why not start with what's free. Replacing parts is expensive if they're not defective.

If it won't start with the tapping, check the starter signal. It is the black wire with a white stripe and comes out of the back of the starter solenoid. It is very easy to get to. Connect a test light or meter between that wire and a good ground. If it lights when you turn the key, the ignition and NSS/clutch switches are good and your problem exists in the starter or it's connections to the battery.

hotdoghogie
02-26-2007, 07:37 PM
ya i pushed started my accord by myself one day... it started right up... i love hondas.... mazdas are gay

LX-incredible
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
ya i pushed started my accord by myself one day... it started right up... i love hondas.... mazdas are gay
Why yes, yes they are.:violin:

A20A1
02-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Why yes, yes they are.:violin:

incredible :rofl:

MessyHonda
02-27-2007, 02:30 AM
that sucks.....today was not a good day....my friend open the door and broke my passenger side door handle...now i can fix up the lil key whole it has....but sigh....it still blows.

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2007, 04:42 AM
lol yup hotdoghogie HONDA FTW mazda FTL
lol
yeah u shoud have pushstarted it just put the clutch turn the key to on it let roll and thing reless the clutch

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2007, 04:42 AM

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2007, 04:43 AM
. tripel post

ghettogeddy
02-27-2007, 05:53 AM
lol
yeah u shoud have pushstarted it just put the clutch turn the key to on it let roll and thing reless the clutch
hahahaha if ur gona tell some one how to push start dont forget to tell them to put it in gear they will be there all day trying to figure out why it still wont start

frantik
02-27-2007, 06:00 AM
i know how to push start a car.. i had a VW Bus so i know all bout it lol :D i'll do it tomorrow (well i guess later today.. still tomorrow for freaks like me lol) when i can get some help cause if i cant get it started im gonna need help moving it back into a parking spot

I'm kinda wondering bout the random fuse that was in my fuse box though lol.. i dunno how long it's not been in there and my car's been running fine i havent noticed any weird lights or anything either

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2007, 06:49 AM
hahahaha if ur gona tell some one how to push start dont forget to tell them to put it in gear they will be there all day trying to figure out why it still wont start
lol if someone dose not know thay are sopose to put the car in gear when push starting thay shoud have there Lic. taking away

hotdoghogie
02-27-2007, 07:31 AM
lol

make shure u r in second gear!....

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2007, 07:35 AM
make shure u r in second gear!....
yeah
i used to push start my geo all the time Dead Battery FTL

hotdoghogie
02-27-2007, 07:36 AM
ftl?

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2007, 07:38 AM
any way guse what my 3gee wont start :O the battery contecter are bad i keep wigeling them and it starts to start but wont :( i am going to goo cleen the white pouder stuff off of them that i just cleened off last week =/

Civic Accord Honda
02-27-2007, 07:39 AM
ftl? FTL= For The Lose FTW= For The Win

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm kinda wondering bout the random fuse that was in my fuse box though lol.. i dunno how long it's not been in there and my car's been running fine i havent noticed any weird lights or anything either
If the ACG(S) fuse is removed the +5 volts or whatever that goes into the field coil is stopped and the alternator can no longer produce power. My guess is that the fuse fell out recently or when you opened the cover. Of course someone could've done a "custom" rewire job and bypassed the fuse, but I doubt it.

that sucks.....today was not a good day....my friend open the door and broke my passenger side door handle...now i can fix up the lil key whole it has....but sigh....it still blows.
Yeah, what is it with these fools?:rant: Every time they get in or out, jerk the handle and slam the door. Im always like "the car is almost 20 years old, the doors close perfectly, no need to slam." Christ they've already broken the door handle and the sensor in the latch. Cost me over $100 to fix. No respect for other people's property.

Toneloc5145
02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
lol i jiggled them hella..

i'm gonna try to push start it tomorrow.. it's all wet and shit outside right now i'd never get any traction on the ground. i did try to get the starter/flywheel to move by rolling back a bit (i'm parked on an incline with the rear facing downhill) but when i put it into gear i stopped rolling

i felt so sad when i was driving away from my baby.. parked all night by herself in a strange lot :crying:

The car has to be rolling forward in order for you to be able to push start it. I was in the same position as you. My starter went out and i was parked back end facing down, and I tried pushing the car up the hill and then getting in the car and jump starting it and nothing happened. I hate to get other people to help me roll it forward so i could start it.

On another, your clutch switch (the switch that wont let you start the car unless the clutch is fully depressed) may be bad. I've never really had your problem, but that may be something to look at.

hotdoghogie
02-27-2007, 08:56 AM
On another, your clutch switch (the switch that wont let you start the car unless the clutch is fully depressed) may be bad. I've never really had your problem, but that may be something to look at.

my car never had this...

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 09:00 AM
my car never had this...
It probaly had one, but the rubber stopper on the pedal was removed.

Toneloc5145
02-27-2007, 11:30 AM
my car never had this...

Only '89's have this feature. And I believe his car is an '89.

snoopyloopy
02-27-2007, 12:16 PM
hmm, well, i get the same problem. at random times, my car refuses to start. the battery, starter, and alternator are all pretty new. but i turn the key, there's no clicking. i tried jumping it and it did no good. usually i end up having to play with the starter, but then it's still 50/50 for whether it'll start or whether it won't. sometimes it'll then start right up, other times it'll keep just clicking but no start then suddenly starts right up. :wtf:

lx-i coupe
02-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, what is it with these fools?:rant: Every time they get in or out, jerk the handle and slam the door. Im always like "the car is almost 20 years old, the doors close perfectly, no need to slam." Christ they've already broken the door handle and the sensor in the latch. Cost me over $100 to fix. No respect for other people's property.

my girlfrien/fiancee (sp?) is the same way, then she wonders why the door doesn't open form the inside:rant:

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Only '89's have this feature. And I believe his car is an '89.
'88 has it, others as well. http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=3DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=ACCELERATOR+PEDAL&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

frantik
02-27-2007, 05:25 PM
hmm, well, i get the same problem. at random times, my car refuses to start. the battery, starter, and alternator are all pretty new. but i turn the key, there's no clicking. i tried jumping it and it did no good. usually i end up having to play with the starter, but then it's still 50/50 for whether it'll start or whether it won't. sometimes it'll then start right up, other times it'll keep just clicking but no start then suddenly starts right up. :wtf:

do your lights dim when you try to start the car with the lights on? mine don't at all

what toneloc said bout the clutch switch thing is something i was thinking about too.. cause it doesn't seem to act any different with the clutch in or out.

unfortunately im not gonna get a chance tonight to try again hopefully tomorrow :(

ghettogeddy
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
The car has to be rolling forward in order for you to be able to push start it. I was in the same position as you. My starter went out and i was parked back end facing down, and I tried pushing the car up the hill and then getting in the car and jump starting it and nothing happened. I hate to get other people to help me roll it forward so i could start it.
i roll backwards and push start all the time lol easier in the morning on my starter lol

MessyHonda
02-27-2007, 08:27 PM

yeah....i known my friends since we were 5....as long as he does not crash into it i would be fine....its all coo cuz our door handles are kinda weak...my friends 3gee has had a busted door handle for the longest time....i told him i would go to the junkyard...but i dont have any time...or i forget...lol

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 11:05 PM
yeah....i known my friends since we were 5....as long as he does not crash into it i would be fine....its all coo cuz our door handles are kinda weak...my friends 3gee has had a busted door handle for the longest time....i told him i would go to the junkyard...but i dont have any time...or i forget...lol
Yeah, but why is it always the passenger side that gets broken? It's not like that door gets used the most.

forrest89sei
02-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah, but why is it always the passenger side that gets broken? It's not like that door gets used the most.

Because the passengers aren't use to our cars? or there jackasses?

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 11:34 PM
No, because if we were real gentlemen, we would open their doors for them.

Toneloc5145
02-28-2007, 06:43 AM
i roll backwards and push start all the time lol easier in the morning on my starter lol

I guess the car wasn't going fast enough then (for me, that is). lol.

And I dont know about the 88's, but I remember reading that the clutch feature was added in 89. But if I'm wrong then my bad. I DO know that my friends 87 can be started without having to push the clutch in.

And I can't stand when my friends slam the door when they get out. I actually yell at them (yes i yell at my friends) because its not necessary, and they know this, man! (Chris Tucker from Friday).

MessyHonda
02-28-2007, 08:55 AM
No, because if we were real gentlemen, we would open their doors for them.

yeah only to girls....i would do it on my dx since it does not have power.....but on the lx-i sometimes i just hit the power door locks and say its open,....lol im bad

frantik
02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
ok im gonna go try again here in a few ... any last minute tips?

oh where is the contact for the clutch switch? is it inside the car?

Pico
02-28-2007, 03:45 PM
ok im gonna go try again here in a few ... any last minute tips?

oh where is the contact for the clutch switch? is it inside the car?
It's right above the clutch pedal :D

frantik
02-28-2007, 04:36 PM
ok well it push started no problem.. but it still won't start normally

i listed in the engine bay as the ignition was turning.. there are a few very quiet clicks like some small electronic stuff turning on or something.. but thats about it

sucks i live right next to a repair shop but im broke.. plus now i cant even get to and from work :uh:

i'm gonna start a new thread over in technical since it looks like im gonna need more indepth help :(..

ghettogeddy
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
sounds like your starter
talk to pico he might have an extra laying around

Pico
02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
sounds like your starter
talk to pico he might have an extra laying around
I do have one but it's for the automatic, we can probaly swtch the nose cones and it will work I think.
It's your's if you want it frantik

Pico
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
We can also take the ignition switch out of the donor car if you need that too

ghettogeddy
02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
well if anything kragen stocks them at
$62 what do u think u can get one for pico

Pico
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I can get a rebuilt starter for about 35.00 w/ exchange

ghettogeddy
02-28-2007, 05:05 PM
damn good price

frantik
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
sweet.. looks like another run to the pico shop.. it's more fun when it's upgrades not repairs though :crying:

MessyHonda
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
sweet the pico shop......i need to go soon and check out his lil monster...