PDA

View Full Version : Axle

russiankid
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Every time i take a left turn at low speeds, the left axles makes a slight tap noise. Now the axles were replaced around 4k miles ago. They were re-manufactured ones. Could this lead to serious problems or i have nothing to worry about? It does not get louder as time goes by, it stays the same. Sometimes it doesn't do it, but most of the time it does.

P.S It only does it on a left turn, taking a right turn nothing happens as far as the noise. Only time it makes that sound is when the car is moving, when the car is on a stand still and i turn the wheel to the left, no noise.

87lxiaccord
02-26-2007, 06:55 PM
yeah the cv joint is going, it will get worse with time

russiankid
02-26-2007, 07:16 PM
yeah the cv joint is going, it will get worse with time
:thumbdn: Just what i hoped not to hear.
Weird thing is the CV joint is new.

MessyHonda
02-27-2007, 02:19 AM
yeah i replaced mine no noises so far...some people have mix results...cuz they might not have built it good

Blkblurr
02-27-2007, 04:58 AM
I had a reman axle fail on me within 6 months.

Tomisimo
02-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Change them, i think thet leds(Joins) are gone. It can happen to any FWD car (((

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2007, 07:23 AM
you lucked out and got a bad reman. big surprise. i had one go in about 2 weeks.

hotdoghogie
02-27-2007, 07:38 AM
go to honda and spend 300$ on a new one... get a new boot too but i think they come with those already im not too shure

Blkblurr
02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I paid $65 for the first one and nothing for the second one cuz it was under warranty. The second time around was easy to take out and put back in.

bigman652
02-27-2007, 08:48 AM
IDK mine are doin the exact same thing
but it drives alot better through
i don't think that you should worry aboutit

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
I bought one of the remanufactured axles from checker, started making noise after only 1 week. Got some EMPIs online: http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewire/baseline/wizard-newest.jsp?partner=drivewire&year=1988&make=HO&model=ACC-LXI2-001&category=All&part=Axle+Assembly&appTransmissionType=Automatic
The shipping was free and the construction is quality. No problems for 9 months.

snoopyloopy
02-27-2007, 08:59 AM
my cv joints have been clicking for at least a year now. so you may have a bit of time left, but it's still a good idea to change it asap.

hotdoghogie
02-27-2007, 08:59 AM
j/w ... did u guys put new boots on the cv joints... if the boot is cracked the cv joint will go bad in a matter of months... even weeks... depends on how much dirt got in it... cv boots are just as important as a valve cover

LX-incredible
02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
j/w ... did u guys put new boots on the cv joints... if the boot is cracked the cv joint will go bad in a matter of months... even weeks... depends on how much dirt got in it... cv boots are just as important as a valve cover
The whole axle.:bong:

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
hogie, most of us buy the whole reman axle. this includes new boots. everything is ready to bolt in.

the problem lies in the fact that all they seem to do is clean the axles up, repack them with grease, paint them, and install new boots. if they rebuilt them with new bearings, there would be no problems.

matter of fact, i rebilt an outboard joint once. took apart 2 axles and used the best bearings. the bearings i ended up with looked brand new (155,000 miles, too). the spider was in new condition on both axles, BUT the cup was fubar in one. i hit a ginormous pothole and it killed that cup. the bearings were alright, but i think they were the ones with the most wear, so they went in the garbage.

the boot kit at honda cost me $35. that was JUST one boot. i didn't replace the inner boot. this is why we don't rebuild our own axles.

i might head to napa and see if they still carry brand new axles. i'm tired of advance remans that seem to fail in the first 5,000 miles.

Toneloc5145
02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Thats definitely the C.V. Axles. I replaced mine with a Napa rebuilt one and I've been driving on that for about 3000 miles with no problems. I usually go to Napa if i want a rebuilt item. They seem to be higher quality than Autozone or Advanced.

snoopyloopy
02-27-2007, 11:59 AM
majestic honda sells reman. axles. maybe they might be better quality than the ones from your local auto parts store.

russiankid
02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
These have a life time warranty, so i will replace it that way. Thanks for the help.

MessyHonda
02-27-2007, 08:04 PM
yeah that lifetime warranty really is cool