PDA

View Full Version : Need to know the ignition timing on a 87 LX-i fast!

Reptile
02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm putting this thing back together but the Haynes book tells me nothing. Can someone help me here? I put a new timing belt on the car but I need to know the correct timing before I drive this thing 250+ miles back home within the next 24 hours.

Thank you.

Oldblueaccord
02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Carb or EFi? I think there might be a differance with the marks but its white mark TDC red to time with the vacuum lines plugged or pinched off at the correct idle.

wp

Reptile
02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
EFi. The car is an 87 LX-i hatch. But it has a new hood that does not have the sticker on it that tells us all of this important info.

2oodoor
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
not sure about Lxi but carbed is about 15btc, there is a painted mark there where you need to be, no numbers anyways. That is IF you have the belt in right. Marks are on flywheel not crank pulley.
As long as you are not spark rattling like marbles in microwave popcorn, your ok, and you can move it up until you have power as long as it is not spark knocking too.

shepherd79
02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
not sure about Lxi but carbed is about 15btc, there is a painted mark there where you need to be, no numbers anyways. That is IF you have the belt in right. Marks are on flywheel not crank pulley.
As long as you are not spark rattling like marbles in microwave popcorn, your ok, and you can move it up until you have power as long as it is not spark knocking too.
actually carb is 24deg BTDC and EFi is 15deg BTDC.
best way to do is adjust it to TDC, (vacuum lines must be disconnected from distributor).

2oodoor
03-01-2007, 04:45 AM
actually carb is 24deg BTDC and EFi is 15deg BTDC.
best way to do is adjust it to TDC, (vacuum lines must be disconnected from distributor).
otherwise correct info??
I was just going by memory from reading the manual, must have been on a A3, I never looked for numbers anyway on these.
Anyway Reptile, hope you goter'done

Reptile
03-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I got it close and home now after the 250+ mile trip. It will see my mechanic shortly and anything done wrong will be corrected.

Thank you for your help.