PDA

View Full Version : What plugs are you running?

EricW
02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I've almost installed everything for the turbo set up and I forgot to get colder plugs. I was going to go buy some bpr6es-10 or bpr6es-9. I'm not sure what would be the best heat range since stock plugs are 5 but several of the posts i saw on HT were saying that they ran 7 not 6. So what heat range and gap are you running?

MessyHonda
02-28-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37103

:welcome:

Pico
02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
On my stock engine I'm running NGK Iridiums BPR6EIX11

EricW
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37103

:welcome:

:thumbdn: :slap: That has nothing to do with the question i asked. I put it in the FORCED INDUCTION section for a reason. I want the TURBO guys to answer which plugs they are running non the stock motor guys to answer.

MessyHonda
02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
:thumbdn: :slap: That has nothing to do with the question i asked. I put it in the FORCED INDUCTION section for a reason. I want the TURBO guys to answer which plugs they are running non the stock motor guys to answer.

well mike put a nice chart of what gap you should use.... if you are turbo...anyways.....

lostforawhile
02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
somewhere around here I have the NGK tech book,if you need anything looked up let me know. I have the ones with the older info also. :)

A20A1
02-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Justin only gave me his plug gaps, I didn't know his heat range... I forget how many steps colder per how many lbs of boost you add.

EricW
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Justin only gave me his plug gaps, I didn't know his heat range... I forget how many steps colder per how many lbs of boost you add.

I read somewhere on here(i think in the FAQs) on the info from ngk said to run a range colder for every 50-100hp increase.

I went a head and got the 6. So i will see how it does. I'm only planning on running 8psi right now anyway.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-01-2007, 01:49 AM
I also need spark plugs for my turbo build, which ones whould i get and where can i get them? Also what wires should i use?

RobT5580
03-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I dont have part numbers for you guys cause i have a B20A but i was running a heat range of 6 and 7. Stock is 5 for mine but the 6's worked fine but last i was running iridium plugs cause they last longer.

This should apply to you guys as well

Go to www.ngk.com/images/ngksparkplug.jpg

guaynabo89
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
well straight from the origial sticker under my hood it says to use the 5 series but use the 6 series if you do alot of high speed driving. I would say go for 7.

i actually ran a 7 in my car just to see if it made a difference but nothing the butt dyno could pick up. I dont think it ran anyworse or better with a 7 on my engine na. ive always used a 6 even when it was completely stock.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Does anyone have the part number for the ones i should use?

EricW
03-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Does anyone have the part number for the ones i should use?

The stock ones are bpr5es-11. If you use that chart that rob posted it will tell you what the letters/numbers mean. You will need to go at least one heat range colder(change the 5 to a 6) and reduce the gap on the plug(the last two numbers are the gap change 11 to 10 or 9 but you will probably just have to gap them yourself).

On another note, Has anyone ever indexed there plugs so that the gap faces the exhaust valve when they are all the way seated?

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-02-2007, 11:20 PM
So these are good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NGK-Spark-Plugs-BPR6ES-11-6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33693QQihZ017QQitemZ2 70076973906QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

guaynabo89
03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
On another note, Has anyone ever indexed there plugs so that the gap faces the exhaust valve when they are all the way seated?

*EDIT*Ive only indexed them to face the intake valves not the exhaust valve*EDIT*

Ive done it on ocasion when Ive had to much time on my hands.(not much lately)

after a couple of tightening cycles of easch plug so the crush washer gets as far crushed as its gonna get I then proceed to check each plug in each cylinder to see which ones fit best where and are closest to pointnig staright to the intake valves. Sometimes Ive had to purchase two packs of plugs to acomplish this.

Did I ever notice a differnce....NO

Is it worth the time.........Probably yes

Supposedlyindexing the plugs might get you an hp or two depending on the motor. Or at least towards the intake valves is what ive read.

Why do you want to index them facing the exhaust valves? Benefits?

shepherd79
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
So these are good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NGK-Spark-Plugs-BPR6ES-11-6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33693QQihZ017QQitemZ2 70076973906QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V
just go to advance auto and they will have them for a lot cheaper.

AccordEpicenter
03-03-2007, 02:38 PM
just use bpr7es for a turbo 3g dont use irridium or splitfire or any kind of "trick" plug with like 1834 electrodes. Cheap copper NGK Resistor plugs>*

guaynabo89
03-03-2007, 04:34 PM
just use bpr7es for a turbo 3g dont use irridium or splitfire or any kind of "trick" plug with like 1834 electrodes. Cheap copper NGK Resistor plugs>*

agreed

lostforawhile
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM
The stock ones are bpr5es-11. If you use that chart that rob posted it will tell you what the letters/numbers mean. You will need to go at least one heat range colder(change the 5 to a 6) and reduce the gap on the plug(the last two numbers are the gap change 11 to 10 or 9 but you will probably just have to gap them yourself).
On another note, Has anyone ever indexed there plugs so that the gap faces the exhaust valve when they are all the way seated?you can buy the plug index tool through summit,If I remember correctly you use a plug that you already know faces in the right direction when torqued,this sets the tool,then you screw other plugs onto it until you find ones that all face the correct direction. the reason for this is that the plugs often sit in different directions due to wherever the die happened to start threading the plug.

lostforawhile
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
if you are building a new motor,the best thing to do is index a set of plugs before you put the head on. then put those plugs up for future reference. the poor mans spark index tool is an old lawnmower head that you have screwed and torqued each of the previous .plugs into,then put a punch mark and number stamp for each electrode position.

guaynabo89
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I just mark the whie porcelin part where the open end is and that works.

cheap but works