PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start using ignition

frantik
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Ok, I posted in general the other day when my car wouldn't start at work. I've got it home now but it still doesn't start using the key.

Here's what i know:

* The car starts up fine if given a push start, but won't start normally.

* All electrical components work fine: windows roll down, lights work, radio, wipers, etc.

* When turning the key to start the car, some components blank out (like usual) and some clicking noises can be heard. The engine doesn't try to turn over.

* Trying to start the car doesn't cause the lights to dim

* Pushing in the clutch pedal seems to make no difference when trying to turn the engine over

Are there any (somewhat simple) diagnostic tests I can do to help figure out what part is broken? I don't have a level surface nor really any place to work so I can't be ripping my car apart or anything. Luckily i do have a voltmeter so i can check to see if there's power going to stuff.

thanks for any help you can provide :)

ghettogeddy
02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
first thing to change is the starter its 2 bolts and is easy to pull form above and it shouldn't be to expensive

frantik
02-28-2007, 05:15 PM
is there a way to make sure it's the starter which is bad before replacing it?

ghettogeddy
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
is there a way to make sure it's the starter which is bad before replacing it?
i would think u could jumb the power to the ignition cable disconected form the car of coase and see if u get it to turn ive done it on a couple other cars were u take a screw driver and jump the 2 but i dont know if its easy to do on these u coiuld just take an extra peice of wire and try it something 10awg or bigger

A18A
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
im guessing you got a crapped out solenoid, might as well replace the whole lot like geddy said :)

forrest89sei
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Looks like your car uses the following starters:

OE+ Part # ST348 { - Remanufactured}
w/Manual Transmission; Mitsuba Starter
w/Manual Transmission; Denso Gear Reduction Starter

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 16901 {remanufactured}
w/Manual Transmission; Mitsuba Starter

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1870257
Starter, Remanufactured, 1.4 Kilowatt;Manual Transaxle;Nippondenso System;Gear Reduction Starter;1 Per Car

REMY Part # 16906 {Remanufactured}
with Manual Transmission; with Nippondenso Starter

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1870256
Starter, Remanufactured, 1.4 Kilowatt;Manual Transaxle;Mitsuba System;1 Per Car

ACDELCO Part # 3231033 {remanufactured #19011899}
STARTER,(REMAN) MITSUBA UNIT (1.4KW); w/5 SPD MAN; OSGR

REMY Part # 16903 {Remanufactured}
with Manual Transmission; with Mitsuba Starter

BOSCH Part # SR150X
w/MT - Cold Weather Option; Reman

BOSCH Part # SR1289X
w/MT - Standard; Reman

They All range from: $67.99-$109.89 (All of them have a additional core charge of: $20.00-$40.00

russiankid
02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
I will just throw this idea in, but could it be the switch on the clutch pedal not allowing you to start the car? I am talking about the one where if you dont push the clutch in, you cannot start the car.

frantik
02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
is there a way to test to see if that switch is bad? like short the connection or something?

ghettogeddy
02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
I will just throw this idea in, but could it be the switch on the clutch pedal not allowing you to start the car? I am talking about the one where if you dont push the clutch in, you cannot start the car.
i dont have to have my clutch pushed in to start

hotdoghogie
02-28-2007, 07:33 PM
russias got a point their? broken switch?

russiankid
02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I tried once to see if i have to, and apparently i do.

LX-incredible
02-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Are there any (somewhat simple) diagnostic tests I can do to help figure out what part is broken? I don't have a level surface nor really any place to work so I can't be ripping my car apart or anything. Luckily i do have a voltmeter so i can check to see if there's power going to stuff.

thanks for any help you can provide :)

Check the starter signal. It is the black wire with a white stripe and comes out of the back of the starter solenoid. It is very easy to get to. Connect a test light or meter between that wire and a good ground. If it lights when you turn the key, the ignition and NSS/clutch switches are good and your problem exists in the starter or it's connections to the battery. Of you will need someone to turn the key and hold in the clutch for this test to work. You can also bypass the ignition and clutch switches by unplugging the black wire w/ white stripe at the starter, and use a jumper wire from the plug on the starter to the positive terminal of the battery. If it does not turn over, the starter/solenoid is bad.

frantik
02-28-2007, 07:53 PM
wow thanks a lot for those diagnostic tests :thumbup:

MessyHonda
02-28-2007, 11:39 PM

i think that only came in 89 accord...i have to push my clutch in to start it.

shepherd79
03-01-2007, 05:32 AM
yes, the clutch switch came in 89 models only.

for switch, just disconnect two wires and connect them together.

Versanick
03-01-2007, 06:15 AM
To start your car in an emergency, I would keep a screwdriver with me. I'd turn the key all the way to the 'on' position, pop the hood, and jump the two terminals on the starter/solenoid with the screwdriver to crank over the motor.

As opposed to grabbing a wire and holding it between the two, or something else. The screwdriver is easy to just apply (the metal part), and pull off as soon as the car is started, without shocking yourself.

Until you figure the problem out.

good luck

Toneloc5145
03-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Like I said in the last thread, I think its the clutch switch. When my clutch is not depressed and I try to start the car, the radio cuts out for a second like you described, and the car wont turn over. If that switch is bad, then the car wont be able to start.

I dont think its the starter. Maybe the wiring to the starter, but not the starter itself. You'll know when you have a bad starter, because it just makes a grinding noise and the engine doesn't turn over (thats what happened when my starter went out).

frantik
03-01-2007, 07:14 AM
hmm.. so i can by pass the clutch switch by just disconnecting it and connecting the wires together? i hope that is what is it

now i just gotta find the damn thing lol i looked yesterday for a few seconds but didnt see it.

Pico
03-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Clutch Switch (http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1240&d=1029227698)
hmm.. so i can by pass the clutch switch by just disconnecting it and connecting the wires together? i hope that is what is it

now i just gotta find the damn thing lol i looked yesterday for a few seconds but didnt see it.
:welcome:

Blkblurr
03-01-2007, 07:30 AM
using the screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid is what I would do because it's going to tell you if the starter is good or not. If it cranks, the starter solenoid may be bad or the ignition switch contact block has failed. You can test the starter solenoid by putting 12 volts across it's signal terminals. If it closes and the engine cranks then the problem is most likely in the ignition contact block in the steering column.

frantik
03-01-2007, 08:26 AM
do i need to disconnect any wires or are the terminals exposed. I'm gonna go out there in a lil bit once it warms up a lil

frantik
03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
ok so where exactly is the starter and how exactly do i use the screwdriver? i'm a total n00b when it comes to these things so don't assume i know anything lol.. i think i might see it or something like it with a green stripe painted on it but i see no connections or anything and theres a billion hoses and whatnot in the way

i tried shorting the clutch switch and no joy :(

frantik
03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
W000000000000000000000T!!!!

the stupid black cable wasn't connected to the starter.. works fine now

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

thanks guys :D :D :D :D

Pico
03-01-2007, 01:50 PM
:cheers:

russiankid
03-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Isn't that something for the switch? If so i was right....yay.

LX-incredible
03-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Removed AGC(S) fuse, unplugged starter signal wire... who has been messing with your car? At least it was a cheap and easy fix.

frantik
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
i think the acg(s) fuse came out when i pulled the fuse cover off.. and the wire prolly just came lose.. it's not stuck on there very well.. i was thinking bout taping it on there for good measure

LX-incredible
03-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Get a pair of pliers and crush the connector together a bit, that will hold it on there. Oh yeah...

100th post:rockon: :D

MessyHonda
03-01-2007, 06:08 PM
lol....yay easy fix.....i like our 3geez.