PDA

View Full Version : Fire, just a little

digitalx
03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I was pulling out of the parking space, and i see a little smoke...since my car is a stick and i was backing out going uphill (not much practice) i thought maybe i had slipped the clutch too much and had just messed up the clutch. So i turn the car off, and the smoke gets thicker. I pop the hood and i see a little flame, no bigger than than the top of a can burning off of some oil on the heat shield of the exaust. I blow it out, and push the car into a space. So now im scared to start the car, my tech teacher & the honda service guy think its a clogged catalytic converter, but could it be something else?
O and its a 89 DX

russiankid
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Sounds like you have oil leaking onto the heat shield from the valve cover.

MessyHonda
03-01-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah also power steering oil will do the same thing...thats how my dx cought on fire...we used an extinguisher tho.

digitalx
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
but its still probably a clogged coverter that ignited this oil? and i didnt see a need to get my extiguisher out of my house...it was a small flame...all of my neighbors saw, but no1 helped my push the car into the space

russiankid
03-01-2007, 07:00 PM
You will be surprised on how hot the heat shield can get. I never heard of stories it making oil catch fire, but i guess all cars are different.

P.S. I don't see how a clogged cat can cause oil to catch fire on the heat shield.

Pico
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM
It's just the oil that leaked and built up on your heat shield, if your cat. was clogged you notice a loss of power and the fire would be where your cat is located.
Oh Welcome to the forum..post some pics when you get a chance

digitalx
03-01-2007, 07:11 PM
it does sound a little odd, i trust my tech teacher...just not enough to drop that kinda money and then it be something else...and the honda guy told me i should drive the car some more, until it gets worst???

the power steering sounds a little more plausible b/c sometimes the steering gets rough and it sounds like it might be clicking...and while im thinking about it..where does the needle on your temp gauge sit...mine doesnt go too close to the red, but it just seems a little high

russiankid
03-01-2007, 07:14 PM
it does sound a little odd, i trust my tech teacher...just not enough to drop that kinda money and then it be something else...and the honda guy told me i should drive the car some more, until it gets worst???
the power steering sounds a little more plausible b/c sometimes the steering gets rough and it sounds like it might be clicking...and while im thinking about it..where does the needle on your temp gauge sit...mine doesnt go too close to the red, but it just seems a little high
Mine sits a little under the halfway mark. Does the steering click when turning? If so your CV joints could be bad. Check the power steering pump for leaks and the hoses that run to it. Then check the valve cover gasket in the front on top of the exhaust manifold, im sure its leaking.

digitalx
03-01-2007, 07:23 PM
my needle sits a little above, i guess it isnt that bad...im just used to cars where it barely ever reaches the halfway mark...

it better not be the cv joints, the guy i bought it from payed to get them replaced after i bought the car(nice little old man who was tired of driving stick) and i've only had the car for a couple of months, when it clicks it sounds like its coming from the steering column... but im gonna start checking tomorrow for leaks

russiankid
03-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I think your thermostat is not working correctly. If you could explain when the clicking happens, could be easier to pin point out the problem.

digitalx
03-01-2007, 07:34 PM
it has never happen at anything over 10 mph...it only happens with quick turns or turning the wheel while the car is not moving

lostforawhile
03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
you probably have a valve cover leak and it's dripping on the heatshield,remember the engine is tilted forward. i've seen many cars at the junkyards with burned areas on the heat shield from oil. this is a common problem on these cars,but an easy fix. you can usually get a valve cover kit with the gasket and all three grommets. remember to put a bead of silicone on the round parts on the ends and just a little bit into the straight part of the cyl head gasket surface ,or it will leak. this is very easy to fix. also get some purple stuff and a stiff brush and scrub that engine down, you might even get under it and scrub, get all the oil and grease off you can. this will make it so much eaisier to find the leak.

russiankid
03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
it has never happen at anything over 10 mph...it only happens with quick turns or turning the wheel while the car is not moving
Could be either the CV joints, or the tie rod ends.

digitalx
03-01-2007, 08:16 PM
why is this car so great...if i didnt love this car i would have sold it a month ago when my friend offered me $2200 for it so he could use it as a parts car,now he is selling me his car for $300 (blown head gasket, bad auto tranny) guess i'll pull the tie-rods off of that...

MessyHonda
03-01-2007, 09:34 PM
yeah i say clean out the oil with a degreaseer and check where the leak is coming from....also check your garage...floor....and check what color the oil is.

frantik
03-01-2007, 09:39 PM
my needle sits a little above, i guess it isnt that bad...im just used to cars where it barely ever reaches the halfway mark...

what happens if you idle without driving for a long time (ie 10 minutes or more)? My car's temp needle used to sit above 1/2 way normally, but if i would idle in place eventually it would keep going up cause my radiator fan wasn't turning on. it eventually caused my head gasket to get fucked up so make sure your car wont overheat :)

teck
03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
my idle sits right under half way. sept for the summer in stop and go traffic. needs a new radiator

shepherd79
03-02-2007, 05:31 AM
1. the fire. start the car and see where the leak is coming from. it won't hurn anything. check the PS fluid level.
2. temperature. it is not normal for the car to run that hot. check the coolant level. replace thermostat with a new one (try to get one from a dealer, they are better). you may have to do coolant flush to clean the system.
3. clicking when you turn. sounds like CV joints.

digitalx
03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I guess i should get a new thermostat too...i've never had a problem with the temp going up while idling, and i can hear the fan go off right after i turn the car off, so i dont think the fan is bad...

what degreaser should i get

MessyHonda
03-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I guess i should get a new thermostat too...i've never had a problem with the temp going up while idling, and i can hear the fan go off right after i turn the car off, so i dont think the fan is bad...
what degreaser should i get

yeah...its your thermostat...mine would do the same thing even with both fans on....after i changed it it solved my problem....i would just clean the engine and try to identify where the oil leak is coming from....i would use some simple green or any degreaser just make sure to cover your cap and rotor and dont try to water down near the intake manifold....and do it when the engine is kinda warm so the water drys faster.

russiankid
03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
yeah...its your thermostat...mine would do the same thing even with both fans on....after i changed it it solved my problem....i would just clean the engine and try to identify where the oil leak is coming from....i would use some simple green or any degreaser just make sure to cover your cap and rotor and dont try to water down near the intake manifold....and do it when the engine is kinda warm so the water drys faster.
I agree on simple green, but be very careful with it. It can take paint off, so try not to use to much of it all at once.

digitalx
03-02-2007, 05:55 PM
is the power steering pump towards the front of the compartment with a small, thin belt driving it?

if it is Messy you were right, it was the power steering... i drove it hard today to see if it happen again (stupid, I know) and when i parked the car, i got out and i could see some liquid, so i got my sister to turn the wheel...and sure enough...drip drip...and then i noticed the SOAKED, really soaked wrapped hose going across the front of the engine to the (guessing) power-steering pump...

i should have taken some pictures....

shepherd79
03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
yeap, that is the power steering pump. your pressure hose is leaking.
they are a little tricky to change but take some time and you should be fine.

Oldblueaccord
03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Carry a fire extinguisher with you please there not that much money.

wp

lostforawhile
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
if you have to drive the car,disconnect the belt to the pump,you can drive fine without it,it's mostly used for low speed manuevers. then clean up the engine. what works best is the generic purple stuff they sell at Nappa,it's a lot cheaper then the name brand and it works great. I think it's called purple power,get some good rubber gloves and wear a pair of safety goggles. but it will take off all the oil and grease. put it in a spray bottle and squirt it on full strength,then scrub an area,then take a garden hose to it. it doesn't seem to hurt the paint any eithier.

Civic Accord Honda
03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
now im scared to start mine my valve cover leeks allover and maks alot of smoke i dont want it to cath on fire :gulp: :hiding:

russiankid
03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
now im scared to start mine my valve cover leeks allover and maks alot of smoke i dont want it to cath on fire :gulp: :hiding:
Change the gasket. It is an easy fix.

Blkblurr
03-05-2007, 06:32 AM
If a cat gets clogged you will end up with less heat. I would not even consider that as part of the problem. Just fix the leak as others have suggested. Oil does have a low flashpoint and becomes very volatile when heated.

digitalx
03-06-2007, 01:45 PM
now that i have my getto fix until payday (super absorbent rag, zip-tied to the line till monday), i cant even drive it... i got in the car today and started it up and it didnt go up to 1700 rpms like normal, it just sat at 900...i push the gas pedal...no difference...push again...nothing. so i popped the hood and pushed the pedal again and i saw the throttle cable jumping, but no response

and i know it needs a new cap and rotor...but would that keep it from having any throttle response

shepherd79
03-06-2007, 01:50 PM
do you see throttle linkage move or does the cable moves and nothing happens?
may be you have broken cable.

digitalx
03-06-2007, 02:02 PM
i see the cable move...but i dont know where the t. linkage is

Blkblurr
03-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Is the cable attached to the linkage on the carb? Is the throttle plate in the carb moving?