PDA

View Full Version : auto vs. 5-speed

snoopyloopy
03-02-2007, 10:49 PM
so does anyone know the real difference between the two? i know under the center console, there's a rats nest on the auto cars, but on the 5-speed, just a plate blocking the hole in the floor. so is it possible to remove this rats nest and just replace it with the floor pan from the 5-speed? what're the differences between the two cabin wiring schematics and how much work would a total conversion be as opposed to just a tranny swap and nip tuck of the wires?

Pico
03-02-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm hopefully finishing up my swap tomorrow, it's been too many weeks without being able to drive my Accord.
I read the how to on the 5 speed swap and read the color of the wires that need to be rewired but I need to know which pigtail I have to rewire.
Paul's site is down and I need the wiring schematic can anyone help on this

A18A
03-02-2007, 11:10 PM
im doing a 5spd swap :) ill like to see how this thread turns out

im still doing all the hard physical work so far... cant wait till im at the wirring part

snoopyloopy
03-02-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm hopefully finishing up my swap tomorrow, it's been too many weeks without being able to drive my Accord.
I read the how to on the 5 speed swap and read the color of the wires that need to be rewired but I need to know which pigtail I have to rewire.
yeah, i want to do it w/o cutting the wires. i figure if the 5-speeds do it w/o cutting wires, i should be able to convert mine w/o cutting wires too. i just need to know how. i was thinking of going down one day and spending lots of time in the jy w/ an auto and 5-speed just disassembling the interior and dashboard w/ a haynes manual handy and seeing if i could find the difference myself.

forrest89sei
03-02-2007, 11:32 PM

anything on pauls site is also on that DVD-rom i sent you with the keys

Pico
03-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I Love You Forrest.....:kekeke:

Pico
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
yeah, i want to do it w/o cutting the wires. i figure if the 5-speeds do it w/o cutting wires, i should be able to convert mine w/o cutting wires too. i just need to know how. i was thinking of going down one day and spending lots of time in the jy w/ an auto and 5-speed just disassembling the interior and dashboard w/ a haynes manual handy and seeing if i could find the difference myself.
Snoopy when I took apart my donor car I didn't notice any wires in the shifter area, but then again I ripped the interior out without really paying attention to detail :( but I'm pretty sure there wasn't any wires there

forrest89sei
03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
I Love You Forrest.....:kekeke:

Oh you, lol

MessyHonda
03-03-2007, 12:42 AM

wow that is great....nice to know

shepherd79
03-03-2007, 05:22 AM
well the only wires you have to connect after you remove auto shifter is two black wires. without them the car won't start. and you have to connect the back up switch. that is all. i did it and so many other people did it. wirring is not that hard, i can even help if any one really needs help.

snoopyloopy
03-03-2007, 09:21 AM
hmm, ok. thanks for the info. i'll ask if i have any more questions. or if i even go ahead w/ the swap at all. if everything goes my way, i won't even be doing the swap.

Pico
03-03-2007, 10:41 AM
shepherd is it the 2 black wires that are on a single harness by itself?

so8k3
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
i have an 88 accord lx, and i want to put a 5 speed in it. there is a junkyard by me so i can get the tranny from there . for the swap do i put it in the same way i took it out of the parts car, i know a little about the wiring but im not 100% sure. can someone explain what i need to do?

A18A
10-03-2008, 01:32 AM
yes

Demon1024
10-03-2008, 01:52 AM
i'm pretty sure my 2 wires where white and i dind't reconnect anything on those plugs,but i have some custom wiring too.
Theres 2 wires that tell the car not to start unless in park or neutral. connect them together

import racer
10-04-2008, 10:47 AM
i want to do a 5-speed swap to my sei too,so the neutral safety wires get put together and the back-up wires run out to back-up switch on the trans is that right.is there any diff in the engine wireing.

AccordB20A
10-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I should make a damn how to with lots of pics when i convert my gfs car to manual.
the auto loom to the shifter is a ass on loom to the car, it plugs in up under the dash somewhere and runs down to the shifter. you will also see another smaller plug where the dash wiring loom plugs in, these are for the lights on the gauge cluster that tells you what gear its in, 5 speed has no wires..... and yes the two big black/white wires are for starting the car, heres what i did on my 1st car... mounted a relay there and ran wires to my alarm and used it as an immobiliser. another idea you can do with the wires is to simply unplug the shifter switch, and the plug with the two black wires in it, you get a 30amp car fuse amnd stuick it in the plug. it will fit, just tape it there with some sort of electrical tape and your set.
For the cruise control when you swap the pedal box up in that area by the wires that go into the dashboard loom, somewhere you will see a 2 pin plug, one black wire and one pink wire, This is the cruise control switch that goes on the clutch pedal, without the pink wire being grounded the cruise will not work. Pink wire used to go to the auto shifter and ground when in drive but with the clutch switch installed it will work again as its the same wire and theres a join in it i believe.

AccordB20A
10-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Oh and i forgot about the reverse lights, On the Engine Wiring loom on the side where the start signal/oil light/battery light/temp gauge/alt power wire come in thru that 8 pin plug.... the reverse light wires are in that plug also, You dont need to do anything in the car apart from join the green wire that does the reverse lights to the yellow ign wire, If you put an engine loom from a 5 speed in, plug it right in and the reverse lights will Just work. On the auto looms on the engine side of the 8 pin plug theres a green wire that loops out of the plug and back into it to bridge where the reverse switch would be on a manual.
Its pretty smart, Honda did think then making the wiring looms lol