PDA

View Full Version : Help just found rust around my gas cap

teck
03-03-2007, 08:38 AM
i dont have pics yet but theres a small ammount of rust by the gas cap area it looks to be surface to me. should i sand it then prime it?
not sure if this post is in the right spot but still

russiankid
03-03-2007, 08:47 AM
i dont have pics yet but theres a small ammount of rust by the gas cap area it looks to be surface to me. should i sand it then prime it?
not sure if this post is in the right spot but still
I would take care of it right now before it becomes a big problem. Also gas eats away paint, so when you take the nozzle out gas may have dripped there causing the clear coat to get eaten away and then the paint and then you have rust.

teck
03-03-2007, 08:51 AM
yeah i figured thats what happend. but seeing how i have work i dont have time to do it today i wanna take either a dremel tool to the small area and grind it away then prime it

teck
03-03-2007, 08:53 AM
another question grinding it creats sparks in turn can creat fire should i be concerned?

teck
03-03-2007, 09:24 AM
all ground up nice and rust free. the spots are bright red for now since i cant get touch up paint from honda ( they dont make my color) so for now untill i get it painted

Civic Accord Honda
03-03-2007, 10:21 AM
cool rust free FTW

teck
03-03-2007, 10:49 AM
hehe now i have to try to match touch up paint to it. i still have some bubbles in the pain around the wheel wells but its raining now so

Civic Accord Honda
03-03-2007, 10:54 AM
hehe now i have to try to match touch up paint to it. i still have some bubbles in the pain around the wheel wells but its raining now so
yeah i was going to get some color matched paint but i said Fuck it i want to repaint the whole car soon so why pay $20 for a can of paint that going to get painted over in a few months anyway lol

teck
03-03-2007, 11:01 AM
i bought the deepest color red i could find to try and match the paint....its either getting repainted in the spring or sadly replaced

w261w261
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
There's a Honda recall out on the gas filler pipe area. Maybe there's more going on there than meets the eye. Recalls never expire, so you might want to have the dealer take a look at it. No charge to you.

1ajs
03-03-2007, 03:47 PM
the recall was for the 86 87 accord not the 88 89 :(

aww good to hear you nabed that rust right away cheers man i hope you used primer with zink oxide in it!! will help stop it from geting worse once you get the rust out...

wheel well rust take car of that asap take your rear tire out makes it easayer to work on it.. just rember zink oxide primer after you take car of that rust !!!!!!

MessyHonda
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
yeah on my trunk lid my clear is going out i think the last owner would set his gas cap on the trunk lid....and its nice to know that you got it fixed...also check your rear wheel arches