PDA

View Full Version : password jdm magnetic drain plugs????

nskforlife
03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
so i got the password jdm drain plugs.
i was feeling real cool when they arrived.
tried to put the oil drain plug on, and it wont fit in the threads???
do 3g's have the same thread design as civics??

i might have to re thread my oil pan to get them to fit, but i'm hoping not...

anyone else have this same problem or similar???

mkymonkey
03-04-2007, 11:09 PM
ok...why do you need a password jdm oil plug? was yours not working well enough?

Cheeseburger
03-04-2007, 11:13 PM
i was going to buy one of those along time ago but never did, im glad i didnt.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't re-thread the oil pan. They sell magnetic drain plugs at those cheap parts stores that should fit. Take the stock plug to a hardware store and get them to find the size and the pitch.

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
As I recall the auto transmission drain plugs on the early legends were the same size and pitch as our oil plugs and they have a magnet on them. You would have to use a 3/8 socket wrench to drain the oil though. Not completely sure on this one.

MessyHonda
03-05-2007, 12:10 AM
yeah i see them on like craigslist for like 9 bucks a pop...i was thinking of geting one but maybe later...and i might take a stock one to the store to see if it will fit.

ZackieDarko
03-05-2007, 02:08 AM
lol its a fucking drain plug

if you need a magnet you got bigger problems in your engine the needing a magnetic plug

shepherd79
03-05-2007, 06:20 AM
i never understood why people need magnetic oil plugs. if your engine running right and you have enough oil in there, you won't see any metal shavings.
i never seen them in my engines.

what a waist of money.

carotman
03-05-2007, 06:24 AM
I see this as an extra protection. The oil filter should be able to get those metal shavings out of the oiling curcuit. However, particles that are small enough to pass by the oil filter will be caught by the magnet. These are on the scale of a micron tough. Are they really harmful to the engine?

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 06:26 AM
lol its a fucking drain plug
if you need a magnet you got bigger problems in your engine the needing a magnetic plug
This is true, but not a bad thing to have. You can buy oil filters with magnets in them, but why not pick up the shavings BEFORE they reach the oil pump.

nskforlife
03-06-2007, 08:04 PM
well the last time i was looking at my used oil, i dumped the oil filter out too see what it got, and there were a lot of metal shavings on the inside, a LOT. granted i might get flamed for buying them but i like my cars engine running, it's called insurance. i didn't get them for looks, i got them for assurance that my all moving parts were being oiled properly and that nothing was preventing this from happening.

why do people use catch cans??? theres another concept of the little extra protection, same as oil coolers and samco hoses, reinforced braided lines, tranny oil coolers, voltage regulators. fuel pressure, oil pressure, and stoichiometric gauges... they all have a concept behind them... granted most cars wont actually ever put some of these above to use.

MessyHonda
03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
yeah one that fits would be better tho.

shepherd79
03-07-2007, 06:41 AM
well the last time i was looking at my used oil, i dumped the oil filter out too see what it got, and there were a lot of metal shavings on the inside, a LOT. granted i might get flamed for buying them but i like my cars engine running, it's called insurance. i didn't get them for looks, i got them for assurance that my all moving parts were being oiled properly and that nothing was preventing this from happening.

why do people use catch cans??? theres another concept of the little extra protection, same as oil coolers and samco hoses, reinforced braided lines, tranny oil coolers, voltage regulators. fuel pressure, oil pressure, and stoichiometric gauges... they all have a concept behind them... granted most cars wont actually ever put some of these above to use.
if your engine started to have metal shavings and a lot of them, your bearings are done. you may start looking for another engine or start saving money for a rebuild.