PDA

View Full Version : What should I do now?

Venyix
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Well after much debating I decided to keep my '88 DX...it's Carb'd...which is a total let down. I was just bringing this out into the open to see what anyones first step in performance tuning would be. I'll start with the basics..

Engine

A20A1 engine Carb'd to the max

Suspension

Sportline springs and struts
Control arm bushings look as though they need replacing
Back drum brakes..

So the question is...to convert to EFI...or not...replace the engine with a b-series? Anything that would boost performance would be nice to hear about...appreciate it.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n93/venyix/DSCN1514.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n93/venyix/DSCN1522.jpg

LX-incredible
03-04-2007, 10:49 PM
I would convert to fuel injection, intake, and exhaust. You can search for how-tos and options on intakes and exhausts.

A18A
03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
either way you'll have to convert to fuel injection

MessyHonda
03-05-2007, 12:04 AM
you can put in a weber with some pacesetter headers you will see a nice boost in speed.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Well the first thing i would do is an exhaust system, if you get a carb header then decide to go F/I it will suck. Also get into the GE cam gear group buy in the performance section. Once you do that you can decide if you want to conver to F/I or not. If you do then get a CAI and header maybe a B18 intake mani, and if you stay carbed then get a weber and a header. Then look into a camshaft. Also it looks like you have an auto tranny, if you do then you will have to convert to a manual if you plan on doing anything more then basic mods. Then againg you can always go turbo if you have the money and experience.

BITESIZE
03-05-2007, 02:03 AM
My thoughts.

1. Beautiful body!
2. Would be alot work to convert to efi, but in the long run, you'd literally cry with admiration once done.
3. Do you have time to convert to efi?
4. Do you have $ to convert to efi?
5. Do you have a spare car to drive around while the conversion is being taskfully prepared and worked on?
6. Do you have all the necessary tools/information?
7. Do you have tons of beer and patience?

IF you answered no to any of the 7 questions, please sell the carb, buy an efi, and enjoy the efi!

My 5 speed swap took around 4 days of 10 hour days. If you are good with cars and have plenty of time/patience convert that humdinger!

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-05-2007, 05:40 AM
My thoughts.
1. Beautiful body!
2. Would be alot work to convert to efi, but in the long run, you'd literally cry with admiration once done.
3. Do you have time to convert to efi?
4. Do you have $ to convert to efi?
5. Do you have a spare car to drive around while the conversion is being taskfully prepared and worked on?
6. Do you have all the necessary tools/information?
7. Do you have tons of beer and patience?
IF you answered no to any of the 7 questions, please sell the carb, buy an efi, and enjoy the efi!
My 5 speed swap took around 4 days of 10 hour days. If you are good with cars and have plenty of time/patience convert that humdinger!
I agree, but if you do a lot of reading and get everything you need before hand then you could dot a carb to efi swap, auto to manual swap and install a I/H/E and cam gear in about a week. If you have little mechanical experience then sell that carbed car and get a lxi or sei 5-speed but if you feel confident then i would do the swap myself just for the bragging rights of saying you turned a 98HP stock carbed auto into a 130+HP (with the mods) F/I 5-speed. Where are you located at?

Venyix
03-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm located in Tennessee...east TN that is. That car is a 5-speed I assure you, and the EFI swap has definitely been considered, but no I don't have another car to drive around. However, my spring break just started...so if I was going to do the swap now would be the optimum time to do it. My brother is a mechanic and he usually works on my car at his shop; so he knows what he's doing and has all the required tools. So far for the general consensus I see that I'm going to have to do a full swap from carb to EFI.

shepherd79
03-05-2007, 10:36 AM
i say keep the car as a daily driver and buy yourself a project car.
this way you don't have to rush doing the project.

BITESIZE
03-05-2007, 10:39 AM
A week is not long enough to do the swap if you depend on your car as your daily driver. Something will come up while doing the swap, you will need a certain part and you will spend your time looking for the part, rather than working on the project.

Venyix
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
A week is not long enough to do the swap if you depend on your car as your daily driver. Something will come up while doing the swap, you will need a certain part and you will spend your time looking for the part, rather than working on the project.

I really want to do the swap...going to head to a junkyard here and look for some FI stuff and rear disc brakes. Hopefully I will find a way that I can do the entire swap and perhaps even do an engine swap...people won't look at the '88 DX the same with a b18 in it ;).

shepherd79
03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I really want to do the swap...going to head to a junkyard here and look for some FI stuff and rear disc brakes. Hopefully I will find a way that I can do the entire swap and perhaps even do an engine swap...people won't look at the '88 DX the same with a b18 in it ;).

i hope you have big pockets, because B series swap and EFI swap won't be that cheap. get ready to dump around $3K+ for sure.
If i was you i would get EFI and save time and money and do B series swap on your spare time since you will have to make almost everything custom to make B series motor fit and work.

lostforawhile
03-05-2007, 02:00 PM
what is wrong with a webber swap? you have a lot of tuning options available with that. it would be a lot eaisier then trying to convert to fuel injection. remember with the fuel injection not only do you have to swap the engine components,you basically have to swap the entire fuel system,including tank. you could do a dual sidedraft SU carb conversion,but I don't reccomend this,unless you have LOTS and LOTS of time,and access to a machine shop,fabricating skills and you are completly nuts. LOL :)

Civic Accord Honda
03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
damn is that car cleen i wish mine looked like that

Venyix
03-06-2007, 12:34 PM
damn is that car cleen i wish mine looked like that

Wanna buy it? I'll trade you for your car with FI :)

MessyHonda
03-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Wanna buy it? I'll trade you for your car with FI :)

lol i dont think you want the CAH car...lol :rofl:

Venyix
03-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I think what I've decided is to go with the Weber...pacesetter...and can anyone give me a quick rundown of what intake manifolds you can bolt onto the A20 block? New cam gear, new flywheel...lighten as much of the engine components as i can...then go from there I guess..