PDA

View Full Version : speedo cable

johndej
03-05-2007, 08:24 AM
hey, i think i just had my speedo cable bust today. i was drivin and suddenly the speedo started just flappin around the speed i was drivin (like +5 then -5mph) and then sank to 0 the rest of the trip. I was wondering if this would be something i could replace myself from the junk yard or if i'd have to take it to someone to get calibrated and such. thanks alot.

shepherd79
03-05-2007, 08:34 AM
you can do it yourself. I wouldn't get used cable, just buy a new one. they are cheap.

ghettogeddy
03-05-2007, 08:42 AM
well it could also be that u lost the clip holding it in follow the line to the tranny and make sure its on there

MessyHonda
03-05-2007, 09:31 AM
yeah same thing happen to me.....my speed sensor in the tranny was not in right....and yeah...doesnt it feel nice to have 100% assist even at high speeds makes the car feel light....lol

oh yeah i tested the cable with a drill and went inside and checked that the cable was not busted then i lifted the car up and put it in 1st gear and saw that the lil trans gear was working and then put in the speed sensor back in and it worked so far.

smufguy
03-06-2007, 12:07 PM
usually a small brass c-clip goes around the feed to lock it in place on the VSS. I lost it, so i used a small Paperclip and it works fine. Either the Carb speedo or the EFI speedo works fine on an EFI car.

johndej
03-06-2007, 12:10 PM
yeah, i checked the clips and it seems like its hooked up good to the tranny but can be pulled in and out by 2 or 3 inches from the firewall. I've already got a new one but i'm not feelin upt to take appart the dash. since i gotta get it inspected in the next few days before i go back to school i'll just have it done then (might as well since i've already go t it).

smufguy
03-06-2007, 01:58 PM
You dont have to pull the dash to snake the cable in. you can just pull the old one out, have someone guide the new one in from the engine bay while you help the cable into the hose on the dash plate (under the gauge) and then hook it up. When i changed mine (from a carb speedo cable to an efi cable) i did not take the whole dash out. I just removed the gauge cluster and then had my friend guide it in.

PS: yeah had a few scuffs on my hand, but it was worth it than removing the whole damn dash.

Beanshonda55
03-06-2007, 04:10 PM
wait so is there a difference between carb speedo and efi speedo?

MessyHonda
03-06-2007, 08:14 PM

idk maybe length

smufguy
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM

the cable, yes