PDA

View Full Version : tranny removal help please!!

A18A
03-05-2007, 08:11 PM
i searched and found this thread http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35819&highlight=tranny+removal

and my problem is pretty much exactly the same as his:

I've got all the wires/hoses/bolts/axles out of the auto, the whole transmission is about an inch off of the engine but still haning on to somthing, I have it pretty much butt up against the sidewall but it refuses to fall down. Any help would be appreciated. I need to get this done as soon as possible, I do have a car I can borrow for work but would prefer not to. Thanx.
and a further post down it says:

Did you Disconnect the torque conveter from the drive plate???? That will keep ypu from being able to lower the tranny down. You'll be able to go back but not down
and that fixed his problem, but im having the exact same problem except ive already unbolted the torque converter from the drive plate.. any ideas why this would be?

Pico
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
OD are you sure you got all the bolts off of the plate. there is a total of 8 holding it on?

A18A
03-05-2007, 08:18 PM
yeah i took all 8 off just like the manual said

Pico
03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
you may have to use a pry bar to help move it, when we did mine it was a little hard to get apart.

A18A
03-05-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah i'll try that

A18A
03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
still stuck :(

A18A
03-05-2007, 09:35 PM
damn its all the way up against the wall and it's about a inch lower now but it wont drop anymore even if i wiggle it around etc :(

ghettogeddy
03-05-2007, 09:37 PM
did u disconnect the negative battery cable as funny as it sounds the first time i took my tranny off we forgot and it just hung there buy that dinky little cable

A18A
03-05-2007, 09:45 PM
yup

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Spin the torque converter, while pushing it into the tranny. When you took it apart you probably pulled it out of the tranny a bit. It will need to be held up while your are doing this and it needs to go in straight. I have had the same problem.

A18A
03-05-2007, 09:52 PM
ok lemme try that

A18A
03-05-2007, 09:59 PM
the tranny is cleared from the driveplate so its nothing in there stopping it from dropping down :( i cant see what else is stopping it

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Is the center piece of the TC pulled out of the flywheel?

A18A
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
yup, i can see its cleared the fly wheel

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
And you got that "8" shaped mount.

A18A
03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
which one is that? o.O the dog bone??

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 10:27 PM
No, it is the one that connects the tranny to the passenger frame. Oh wait, sorry, I am being stupid. I forgot that it is a B20.

A18A
03-05-2007, 10:33 PM
oh :(

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I am tring to find more info. Do you have any pictures?

A18A
03-05-2007, 10:44 PM
nah no pics sorry :(

well the pics i do have wont be much helpfull i dont think

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 11:12 PM
The axles are pulled out, right? If not the halfshaft support could be holding it.

A18A
03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
yup axles & halfshaft are out

LX-incredible
03-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Okay, are the power steering hoses and speedo cable removed from the speed sensor? Is the throttle linkage removed? This may help: http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/catlistallcomp.jsp I am looking it over now.

A18A
03-05-2007, 11:43 PM
yup all thats removed, and that link dont work for me :(

LX-incredible
03-06-2007, 12:27 AM
I can't find any good pictures. Try rocking it and watch what moves with it. On mine part of engine wiring harness attaches to it near the top. The tie rod looks like it would be in the way, and the center beam might need to be removed. Sorry, this probably doesn't help. Someone on here has to have done this, so good luck.

A18A
03-06-2007, 12:32 AM
yeah i done all that, but thanks for your help anyway :wave:

shepherd79
03-06-2007, 06:09 AM
is it hitting the body in anyway?
i useally remove the rear engine mount, let the engine tilt back and down a little holding on a jack this way it is tilted away from a body.

A18A
03-06-2007, 02:41 PM
^^^ill have to try that :)

A18A
03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
ok now its just this thing in the way
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s248/87vigor/100_3434Medium.jpg
would it be ok to mark were its set & then remove it? or any other way around this?

carotman
03-06-2007, 06:35 PM
yeah, you need to remove it

88LX-i
03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
That,s your radius arm.You can take it loose at the front and slide it back it,s a 17mm or 19mm nut.I would,nt change the nut on the back side,it,s to adjust the caster.

LX-incredible
03-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh, I thought you removed the tie rod. Now I don't feel as stupid. Unbolt that from the front of the car and leave the nut on the back in the same position. Pull it out towards the rear. If the rear nut stays put, when installed, it should be set the same as it was. You are supposed to use a new locknut when reinstalling, but I don't feel that it's necessary. It might be easier to install the lower control arm temporarily and connect the tie rod to break that bolt loose.

shepherd79
03-07-2007, 06:39 AM
let me ask you a questions, why did you leave axles in place? it would make a lot easier if you remove it.
you can unbolt the lower control up and unbolt the upper control up and the whole suspension will drop giving you extra room.

you guys are making too hard on yourself by not removing enough parts.

Ralph
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
did u disconnect the negative battery cable as funny as it sounds the first time i took my tranny off we forgot and it just hung there buy that dinky little cable

Watzzup man Hi my name is Rafo I'm new to 3Geez but you sound that you know about the 3rd gen of accord I have a little problem with my 88 LX-I.
My car my car die just for turning left. I did a tune up to the car and started working but a week later on a cold morning going to school the car didn't want to start again I checked the engine from top to bottom but I don't know what is the problem. I changed the distributor cap, rotor, gas filter, spark plug and still the same. Can somebody HELP my accord PLEASE I been putting a lot of money to that car that i love to death!!!

By the way the car is leaking oil like CRAZY and everybody say's that is from the distributor. But how do I changed the O-ring or the distributor gasket?????

shepherd79
03-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Watzzup man Hi my name is Rafo I'm new to 3Geez but you sound that you know about the 3rd gen of accord I have a little problem with my 88 LX-I.
My car my car die just for turning left. I did a tune up to the car and started working but a week later on a cold morning going to school the car didn't want to start again I checked the engine from top to bottom but I don't know what is the problem. I changed the distributor cap, rotor, gas filter, spark plug and still the same. Can somebody HELP my accord PLEASE I been putting a lot of money to that car that i love to death!!!
By the way the car is leaking oil like CRAZY and everybody say's that is from the distributor. But how do I changed the O-ring or the distributor gasket?????

rule #1 don't hijack someone's thread. if you want your question to be answered make your own thread.

to adnswer your questions.
1. check the gound wires and positive wires on battery and make sure the ground wires are tight at the body and engine and tranny.
2. to change the distributor o-ring you have to remove the distributor.

Ralph
03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm sorry about that is bcuz I don't know how to work with this web page real well so I'm trying to learn on how to send messages

HondaBoy
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
so, i just removed and put in a different tranny in mine. what i did was pop the axles out and let them hang instead of taking them completely out. so they were slid out through the fork and left dangling. that was easier than taking them completely out of the car. that radius rod has to be loosened, how i did it was by removing the 2 bolts on the lower arm, undid the lower ball joint and tie rod ends. i still had the problem of the tranny hitting the inner fender, but managed to get it to come down. only things that i had problems holding the tranny up not letting it come down was the kick down cable, power steering lines, speedo cable and ground cable. only thing i forgot was the kick down. also, i found it harder to replace the shifter cable inside the tranny than at the shifter, although i managed to replace it inside the tranny. anyways, hope you get it done. hows it going as of now?

A18A
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
yeah i got it out :)

let me ask you a questions, why did you leave axles in place? it would make a lot easier if you remove it.
you can unbolt the lower control up and unbolt the upper control up and the whole suspension will drop giving you extra room.

you guys are making too hard on yourself by not removing enough parts.
dunno, just seemed easier unbolting the upper ones and pulling the axle outta the CV