PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback for moulding

estevana
03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Alright fellas, I need some feedback. I am going to paint my body mouldings and new spoiler. I know i need to go with a flexible primer on the moulding andI wnat to paint them with Alsa's black pearl base and finish them off with a blood red candy, it'll add a nice effect to a white car. Hows does that sound? Oh, the spoiler is the factory style.

mkymonkey
03-06-2007, 07:10 PM
wth? red trim on a white car....hmmm...someone's going to say it but not me.

good luck

lostforawhile
03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
well on all my flexibal parts I've used the Nappa TEC brand flexibal primer,been very happy with it. it comes in a rattle can,but it's proffesional quality stuff,not wally world paint. it' costs a bit, but you also get a lot of paint in a large spray can. you can do an entire bumper with two coats,with only two and a half cans. it's also a high build. I'm not sure about the color,but I did mine with the duplicolor bumper coating. it looks like the factory finish.

Pico
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Sorry, but it may look :rice: but thats just me :(

estevana
03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
I know I know, i will say it :rice: picopop beat me to it!
right after i posted it, it hit me!! The other combo i was thinking was a white pearl then a black candy finish. I just want something different, not rice, for my white car

mkymonkey
03-06-2007, 07:27 PM
oooh...you know what color would be cool? white!

estevana
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks monkey, ur insights are ingenius!!:bow:

MessyHonda
03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
just paint it black....it looks better than molding with white sun faded spots

mkymonkey
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks monkey, ur insights are ingenius!!:bow:

lol...seriously though. a white 3g with freaking white molding....mmmmmmm me likey.

but how different do you want to go? i mean you can paint them like hostile used to have....super ultra blue. to me the trim is supposed to help the divide the car and give it a sense of geometry. Now its also supposed to just blend into the car. its not supposed to jump at ya and say HEY SON! LOOK AT ME IM CANDY APPLE RED!

these are just my opinions, you dont have to follow anything i say...

LX-incredible
03-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Not that I care, but why is this in Performance?

MessyHonda
03-06-2007, 10:31 PM

ROFL......just remember every 1 foot of carbon fiber will give you 5hp to the wheels

LX-incredible
03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
ROFL......just remember every 1 foot of carbon fiber will give you 5hp to the wheels
and be sure not to lay on the paint too thick...You wouldn't want to undo all the good you have done.

estevana
03-07-2007, 12:02 AM

The sad thing is alot of "import junkies(ricers)" here in colorado think that carbon fiber is like sweet hp juice sent from the engine gods.

estevana
03-07-2007, 12:05 AM
:uh: Yea, sorry still learning my way around this place.

lol...seriously though. a white 3g with freaking white molding....mmmmmmm me likey.
but how different do you want to go? i mean you can paint them like hostile used to have....super ultra blue. to me the trim is supposed to help the divide the car and give it a sense of geometry. Now its also supposed to just blend into the car. its not supposed to jump at ya and say HEY SON! LOOK AT ME IM CANDY APPLE RED!
I realized that if it turns heads and its due to how the car looks or cuz people heard you coming 3 blocks away, odds are, not all the time, but most the time its :rice:
So I'm going a dark titanium metallic on the trim and spoiler. I might paint the rear bumper the same, not sure yet. Well, i'll get to it as soon as i get my car back from the shop. Shipping is taking forever to get that damn Weber 38/38. Thanks for the feedback guys and I'll post pics as soon as i get it back.

mkymonkey
03-07-2007, 08:45 AM
:uh: Yea, sorry still learning my way around this place.

I realized that if it turns heads and its due to how the car looks or cuz people heard you coming 3 blocks away, odds are, not all the time, but most the time its :rice:
So I'm going a dark titanium metallic on the trim and spoiler. I might paint the rear bumper the same, not sure yet. Well, i'll get to it as soon as i get my car back from the shop. Shipping is taking forever to get that damn Weber 38/38. Thanks for the feedback guys and I'll post pics as soon as i get it back.

but why just paint the trim a metallic color? is the paint on the body in good condition? are you going to paint the car? trust me dude, a car painted all one color looks fucking tits. i regret not doing it with mine

2oodoor
03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I know the 'law' says use flex primer, blah blah
I do use it on bumpers and such on all over paint, but these mouldings, even on the bumpers, you can use scuff pads, fine grade-very carefull not to get on the paint-clean them up real good and finalize with wipe off with laquer thinner, the cheap kind that evaporates fast, you do not want to soften thing up too much. Then you can use krylon base color or primer- Krylon has a lot of binders and such for mulitple uses and is quality paint. Duplicolor also works really well. I have done mine twice without flex agent and had no problems with peeling.
If your car gets hit, or bumped-regardless of which paint system you use, it is going to flaw the entire piece that is hit.
When you mask off the mouldings, use blue safe realease tape, 3m brand works the best and fastest.

shepherd79
03-07-2007, 09:17 AM
first this shouldn't be in perfromance section. it has nothing to do with it.
second, paint your moldings any color you want. it is your car.

Civic Accord Honda
03-07-2007, 10:39 AM
i painted mine Black with cheep walmart paint i regreat it it came out all bubeley and crapy looking so as a primer my car and take the molding off i am sanding them and painting them with dupi color bumper coating works great and looks OEM

2oodoor
03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
i painted mine Black with cheep walmart paint i regreat it it came out all bubeley and crapy looking so as a primer my car and take the molding off i am sanding them and painting them with dupi color bumper coating works great and looks OEM
yes, you have to get the oxidation off best you can, and tack them off, then a quick wipe with the thinner. If you can feel it with your finger it, fuzzyness,it will show up after you paint... that dint sound right.. lol

lostforawhile
03-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I just like the nappa tec paint because it is high build and it has a good adhesion promotor.