PDA

View Full Version : replacing oil pan gasket

cdm18911
03-07-2007, 03:25 PM
well im fairly sure my oil pan gasket is going out

whats the easiest way to go about changing it? will i need to move the exhaust around at all?

thanks

BITESIZE
03-07-2007, 03:34 PM
You will have to drop the exhaust and the crossmember bar i believe. It will be a bitch underneath the car.

Pico
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Just make sure you have the car raised and supported high enough and you'll be able to get to it fairly easy once everything is out of the way.

cdm18911
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
sounds like fun, cant wait...

thanks

MessyHonda
03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
yeah....the more stuff you remove the more room you will have...anyways use a oem honda gasket....i need to do mine soon because it leaks on to my exhaust if i rev my car alot and smoke start to come out.

cdm18911
03-07-2007, 09:11 PM
werd, so does mine

im just using a fel pro gasket rather than oem...i didnt wanna pay an assload

skycam_313
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
werd, so does mine
im just using a fel pro gasket rather than oem...i didnt wanna pay an assload

youve been warned........ fel pro sucks ass

forrest89sei
03-07-2007, 09:32 PM

Yeah!

OEM is only $20

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/images/hp_parts/13SE00.022.9.gif
https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=468&hp_series_model=ACCORD&hp_series_year=1989&hp_series_door_ext_grade=4DR+LXI&hp_series_transmission=4AT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=A&hp_component=E++14
it's part #8

cdm18911
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
well fel pro did the job on an exhaust manifold leak on a 93 z28 i used to have

im not to worried about it...this car is pure beater

LX-incredible
03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I did the valve cover gasket with a fel pro, it started leaking within the year. When I pulled it off it was cracked over the exhaust ports. The rubber that they use can't take the heat of our engines. I wouldn't chance it, especially with the stupid exhaust routing on our cars.

MessyHonda
03-08-2007, 08:18 AM
so far my felpro valve cover gasket is fine....its had more than 4k and no leaks just from the oil pan that i plan to replace soon.

LX-incredible
03-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Fel pro is fine on most cars, it's all I use on the burban and the lincolns. The only problem that I've had with them is on the honda. When I got the VC gasket I also picked up a spare. When I installed the other one, I put a thin layer of silicone over the exhaust ports. This seems to have worked, but it's only been 3 or 4 months.

I recommend getting getting an oem (Ishino) gasket either from honda or from one of the online parts stores.

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/detailw.jsp?sid=nzw1zv45z1gtoy45rfaam1ml&partner=autohausaz&year=1988&make=HO&model=ACC-LXI2-001&category=A6130&part=Oil%20Pan%20Gasket

cdm18911
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
well the fel pro held up when my 93 z28 overheated HARDCORE

im willing to take a risk :)

EDIT: messyhonda you have a PM

russiankid
03-08-2007, 06:35 PM
They do not. I have a Felpro, it only leaks because my oil pan is bent. If it wasn't bent in that area it wont leak.

MessyHonda
03-08-2007, 06:54 PM
They do not. I have a Felpro, it only leaks because my oil pan is bent. If it wasn't bent in that area it wont leak.

yeah i would take felpro over any made in china no named gasket any day...felpro is a good company most of the failer is due to people putting it wrong or something.

russiankid
03-08-2007, 07:03 PM
yeah i would take felpro over any made in china no named gasket any day...felpro is a good company most of the failer is due to people putting it wrong or something.
Yea. If you use a Felpro on the oil pan, do not use any sealant. I did that the first time, it leaked like crazy. It has that perma-dry system of some sort. Second time i didn't use any sealant and it isn't leaking but only one spot. That spot is where the pan is bent.

88Accord-DX
03-08-2007, 09:41 PM
You'll have to remove the 3 nuts that hold the downpipe to the exhaust manifold. Remove the crossmember. If you can break loose the bolts from the catalytic convertor, remove that whole exhaust piping out of the way. (makes job/life much easier) To keep the gasket in place, take some twisty ties & tie down the four corners of the gasket to the pan. After you finger start the bolts, snip them off. I personally have these clips you screw into the bolt holes & it holds the gasket in place. DON'T use any silicone on a rubber oil pan gasket

Check the flatness of the oil pan by looking down it. Clean the mating surfaces good on the pan & on the block. Use some new lock washers on the bolts, tighten them from the middle working out in a crisscross pattern. Felpro oil pan gaskets work fine.

HondaBoy
03-08-2007, 11:41 PM
take it from me, 3 pan gaskets which were all felpros dried up and deteriorate fast. i think the last time i did it was about a year and a half ago. its going out again. this time i will use the honda gasket. mind you i went through 3 pan gaskets in 5 years, comming up on the 4th one. i even torqued the bolts to the specified amount. so i dunno. oh and go ahead and get the exhaust gaskets, they are cheap and easy to replace. i think for those i used felpro and they worked fine, just not the pan gasket.

shepherd79
03-09-2007, 04:46 AM
the biggest mistake people make with oil pan gasket is over tighten the bolts.

azazel_18_2
03-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah, there is this thing called an inch pound torque wrench. Most of the time, depending on how many miles are on your engine, just replacing the oil pan gasket isn't enough. If there is enough blow by you gasket will begin leaking again in no time. If you have a blow by gauge use it. I have seen many people put an oil pan gasket on a worn out motor and then complain that the FELPRO wasn't any good because it started to leak again. When I did my last major rebuild I used felpro head gasket and felpro oil pan gasket and haven't had any leaks and I drive that beast hard. Like a few people on here said, DO NOT USE SILICONE ON THE OIL PAN GASKET. What happens is when you go to torque the oil pan down the silicone will push into the alignment holes and rip the gasket. It will leak like a sob.

russiankid
03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah, there is this thing called an inch pound torque wrench. Most of the time, depending on how many miles are on your engine, just replacing the oil pan gasket isn't enough. If there is enough blow by you gasket will begin leaking again in no time. If you have a blow by gauge use it. I have seen many people put an oil pan gasket on a worn out motor and then complain that the FELPRO wasn't any good because it started to leak again. When I did my last major rebuild I used felpro head gasket and felpro oil pan gasket and haven't had any leaks and I drive that beast hard. Like a few people on here said, DO NOT USE SILICONE ON THE OIL PAN GASKET. What happens is when you go to torque the oil pan down the silicone will push into the alignment holes and rip the gasket. It will leak like a sob.
I second the leaking like SOB if using silicon. I did not enjoy see oil poring from under my car.

'A20A3'
04-15-2007, 07:31 AM
yeah i gotta change mine on my new motor cause i get minor oil on the downpipe and i can smell oil burning when i get out of the car. it's a really slow leak so it's okay. but yeah i always buy genuine honda parts and gaskets(always gaskets) it's a better way to protect your investment. suck it up and spend the extra 6 or whatever dollars you cheepies.

coope
04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
i did mine in my old motor it seemed like i had to remove the whole gotdame underside. but my dumb ass put silicone on the sob and i still leak and about three months lata i spun a rod bearing no oil pressure

theDougler
04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
you have to remove the exhaust, remove the crossmember but you have to use a jack to support the engine under the tranny,and make sure that you go by the bolt pattern when you bolt it up or you will possibly get a leak

88Accord-DX
04-15-2007, 08:32 PM
but you have to use a jack to support the engine under the tranny,
You don't need a jack to support anything. I've done it a few times under my car on a lift 6 feet in the air.

MessyHonda
04-16-2007, 02:32 PM
You don't need a jack to support anything. I've done it a few times under my car on a lift 6 feet in the air.

thats how i plan on doing it....btw i just picked up my gasket from honda....23 bucks later.....

AccordEpicenter
04-16-2007, 04:18 PM
i hate using non honda oil pan gaskets. I dont feel the need to use rtv on oil pan gaskets and they seem to seal good, but if you do go very very light on it. Always tighten it from the center of the pan and work your way outwards or it will leak, and you wont need anything to support the engine with the crossmember removed.

backhatcher
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
make sure you drain the oil outta the pan first! im not tryin to be a smart ass neither, i had a buddy of mine attempts the oil pan removal and forgot to remove the drain bolt hahaha just figured id tell yas cuz this thread reminded me of it, man it was messy.

AccordEpicenter
04-16-2007, 05:09 PM
lol seriously, it is a a good thing, somtimes you forget stuff like that