PDA

View Full Version : good old upgrades

alboy86
03-07-2007, 06:58 PM
well my brakes are wraped so i was wondering what kind of rotors people have and what kind of pads i was thinking of getting some off ebay also me being an pee brain ive baught 6 qts of ATF its the high mileage stuff i think valveoline makes it i have it in m tranny now shifts a little hard but i think the TV cable is out of adjustment never been touched. anyways the second question i have it what kind of tranny coolers have people put in im gunna look into one but i need to use all this dam tranny fluid so im gunna do that bucket flushing trick then put some old honda ATF in

ghettogeddy
03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
i have brembo oem blanks with aem pads

AccordEpicenter
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
i do agree with the aem pads. Ive never used brembo blanks, i just used standard honda rotors, but the aem pads get the thumbs up

ghettogeddy
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
to bad they dont make them anymore

AccordEpicenter
03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
i bet you could still find some on eGay

2ndGenGuy
03-07-2007, 08:44 PM
You can find the EBC Redstuff pads. A recent review I read in D-Sport magazine compared about 30 different brands of high-performance pads. The EBC was one of the few brands made for the Accords that got top reviews.

AEM pads are just Nissin, which is OEM. Can't you get OEM ceramic pads at the dealer?

As far as rotors, check Summit Racing. They have a pretty good selection.

ghettogeddy
03-07-2007, 08:45 PM
You can find the EBC Redstuff pads. A recent review I read in D-Sport magazine compared about 30 different brands of high-performance pads. The EBC was one of the few brands made for the Accords that got top reviews.

AEM pads are just Nissin, which is OEM. Can't you get OEM ceramic pads at the dealer?

As far as rotors, check Summit Racing. They have a pretty good selection.
aem arent oem cause the are almost dustless the oems i had were dusty

shepherd79
03-08-2007, 06:54 AM
well my brakes are wraped so i was wondering what kind of rotors people have and what kind of pads i was thinking of getting some off ebay also me being an pee brain ive baught 6 qts of ATF its the high mileage stuff i think valveoline makes it i have it in m tranny now shifts a little hard but i think the TV cable is out of adjustment never been touched. anyways the second question i have it what kind of tranny coolers have people put in im gunna look into one but i need to use all this dam tranny fluid so im gunna do that bucket flushing trick then put some old honda ATF in

Brakes: get brembo or better quality Rotors and find good quality pads. there are two things to remember: 1st. you get what you pay for. 2nd. when it comes to brakes, it is all about how you break them in. if you don't do it correctly they will warp again and again. oh make sure you check your calipers. if they are sticking you may be warping rotors very quickly.

Auto tranny oil flush: well i guess you can try bucket method, but i would not put old ATF back into tranny. that is just asking for more problems. Just take it to a authorized dealer that uses BG products. they make auto tranny flush additive that works wonders on cleaning old oil out. I paid $100 for a flush and it took 15 minutes of my time. It was well worth the money. Unless you like spending a few hours flushing the oil out, i suggest you pay some one to do it. make sure they have autotranny oil flush mashine.

MessyHonda
03-08-2007, 08:47 AM
AEM pads for the win....i have them in all 4 corners and they have light dust....i dont even have to clean my rims....and when i had my fat fives on my dx they would turn black...and im running OEM honda rotors and pads.

geddy you are semi right...they dont make any more smaller 86-87 and 88-89 dx and lx pads no more i see them on ebay for like 45 bucks.....they do make 88-89 fuel injected pads....i have 2 sets just in case.

when the breaks start to go on my dx i will just order some ceramic pads....its amazing how the breaking feels from 9 inch rotors and drums to 4 wheel disk.

alboy86
03-08-2007, 10:54 AM
sweet aem pads and blank brembo rotors are the way im going

ghettogeddy
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
i got mine for a little over 100 shipped from www.buybrakes.com

AZmike
03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
i got mine for a little over 100 shipped from www.buybrakes.com

That's who I went with when I needed the same parts last year. Shipping was quick too iirc.

guaynabo89
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
to bad they dont make them anymore

Google Nissin or ebay too. theyll be like three different pads per aplication. the ones you want are the most expensive ones ranging around 45-55 depending. I forgot the part number for the Nissin counterpart which the aem pads were just nissin pads in an aem box.

Ive used the Aem pads for a while and have gone through several sets on my 2000 accord. They keep cooler than oem honda pads and barely dust at all.

rustlude87
03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
get hawk HPS pads, the best ones I ever put on the lude, yea bremo blanks are the best

skycam_313
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
and what ever you do ONLY put ATF-Z!!! (honda automatic) cuz dextron 3 fucks it up.

i would know.:sad2:

HondaBoy
03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
i researched and read all there was for the dexron II and dexron III. the III has an addative called mercon. it is supposed to be ok to put III in if it calls for II, but not II in the tranny that calls for III. III is the superceding fluid. it was said on the various oil info web sites i checked that it is alright and correct to use the III if II cant be aquired. i had to use it in mine and is so far doing fine. also i've asked a good number of mechanics before i filled my tranny if the III was ok to use and i havent had anyone say otherwise. my uncle who is a mechanic and has a number of 3gees said it will work fine, so go figure. now honda on the other hand will tell you to use only their stuff. but there are a few people on here that have used other things like B&M trick shift. the key is using something that is synthetic and says it is compatable with dexron fluids. when i was looking for something dexron II or greater i looked at the Valvoline high mileage ATF, but it wasnt synthetic which the accord trannys call for. thats what i came up with, if you want to confirm this look it up i guess.

skycam_313
03-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I've done the same research...... and while 3 does supersede 2.... old school Honda cars are especially picky about tranny fluid, something about the viscosity (and sticking of valves)
of 3 vs 2... so 2 and atf-z are highly recommended. (ive already gummed up a tranny on 3, and know 2 other people who have done the same. one of which used syn)

But.......................... its your repair bill not mine:D

P.S. my dad is A.S.E. master certified and he says the same thing:)

HondaBoy
03-08-2007, 11:46 PM
say which same thing, what you said or what i said? i'm going to school for auto tech. they told me II could be replaced with III also, but then again, talk to honda techs and they will say otherwise most of the time. so i dunno. i plan to go manual with my next transmission though. probably will get it together this summer.

just for good measure, i'll change the fluid to honda ATF. i'd rather not keep worrying with conflicting reccomendations. $7 a quart though, blow me! lol

skycam_313
03-09-2007, 12:22 AM
of course the same thing as me.....:uh:

and i go to wyotech :D

im not a big fan of slushboxes myself, but work with what u got....:sad2:
(plus its not the easiest swap, just ask pico)

Edit* i feel u on the $7 RAPE

HondaBoy
03-10-2007, 02:16 AM
replaced 3 quarts out of 5 with honda atf. made a nice difference in the shifts, much smoother and less noticeable when the transmission is warmed up. in a month i may do this again.

alboy86
04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
really dumb question when you buy the rotors and pads off of web sites when you buy them do you put 1 or 2 down for Quantity doesnt one set come with 4 i just dont want to buy an extra 4 lol

HondaBoy
04-02-2007, 11:08 AM
usually, pad sets are sold as either fronts left and right or rears left and right. the rotors are usually sold individually at parts stores unless otherwise described as a pair. like on ebay, they usually sell them as a pair. but just read the description on the auction carefully and you should be able to tell. personally if i was buying parts i'd either buy from a good seller or if on ebay an ebay store and not just some random seller.

alboy86
04-04-2007, 06:19 PM
im on buybrakes.com they have a really good selection of stuff doesnt say anything bout the pads just shows a picture of them
heres the link
http://www.buybrakes.com/store/EBC-UD409

ghettogeddy
04-04-2007, 06:26 PM
when u buy pads 1 is a set of left and right when u buy rotors its for 1 so u want to specify that u want 2

alboy86
04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks