PDA

View Full Version : slaughtered another cv boot methinks -- wtf?

zerovisual
09-07-2002, 07:51 AM
I just installed a new drivers side axle/cv assembly not more than three months ago and I have a feeling it's ripped again (clicky, and wierd steering wheel play). The reason the other one ripped was I bottomed out in this wierd road dip-to-parking lot entrance -- evidently there was this huge gap there that I couldn't see in the dark and the whole front end slammed pretty hard.

What could have been fucked up under there enough to kill a new one? They didn't catch anything during my state inspection a while back but I guess something could be bent or broken and not work the way it's supposed to in absorbing shock or whatever.. I haven't done anything like that since then so there's no other reason why that thing should be fucked up.

I'm not too concerned because I'm going to be overhauling my entire suspension relatively soon re: Jim's comments on slight off-roading.. This is just really baffling me.

-zv

Jims 86LXI HB
09-07-2002, 12:14 PM
I'd like to see you remove the tire and have a really good look. Frankly I don't understand why it would tear so quickly either.

marc49
09-09-2002, 10:51 AM
won't bad motor mounts increase the chance's of a boot tear?? because it's putting more wear and tear on the axle?

RCracer
09-10-2002, 02:08 PM
When Ive replaced the cv boots Ive had them split pretty quick if they were cheap (non honda) ones but since Ive used honda boots Ive had no problems. They are worth the extra few $$