PDA

View Full Version : Need help on A/C idle

ahmad89
03-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I idle around 900 rpm or so when i have the a/c on it drops to about 600 and the car shakes a lot and when the car is warmed up the oil light flashes alot with the vibration but not brightly. I looked in the manual for the a/c idle adjustment and i found it and turned the screw both ways with a/c on and stuff and nothing happened. What could it be?!!
O i have an 89 accord DX auto

A20A1
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
The A/C idle booster only bumps the idle up a little. If there is a vaccum leak in the A/C / Booster diaphragm or from any of the hoses or solenoids or the solenoid doesn't work then your idle could drop.

Does the A/C idle booster even move when you turn on the A/C? You'll have to have someone turn the A/C on for you.

Then watch the linkage on the float bowl side of the carb.

ahmad89
03-09-2007, 02:52 PM
i'll get my mom to push the a/c and see if anything beside the clutch plate move.

A20A1
03-09-2007, 10:18 PM
clutch plate?

ahmad89
03-09-2007, 11:58 PM
yea the clutch plate its down at the bottom left where all the belts are when the a/c is on the plate engages.

A20A1
03-10-2007, 02:12 AM
no not on the A/C, the A/C Idle Booster... see if the Booster Diaphragm linkage moves when you turn on the A/C. There is an Adjustment Screw on the linkage.

It's on the float bowl side of the carb.

HondaBoy
03-10-2007, 02:22 AM
the ac idle booster raises the rpms, which is on the side of the carb as A20A1 was telling you. apparently your ac compressor clutch is working correctly since the idle drops, but should raise if the vacuum diaphram in the idle booster is working correctly and not deteriorated. also, your car is old so the engine mounts are probably needing to be replaced. i know mine are.

reanimator420
03-10-2007, 04:40 AM
yea the clutch plate its down at the bottom left where all the belts are when the a/c is on the plate engages.
lol this might be my new quote

russiankid
03-10-2007, 07:53 AM
You may have to remove the airbox to get a better view. Also find the diaphragm, and get a vacuum pump. It should hold vacuum.

ahmad89
03-10-2007, 09:23 AM
when im driving and not stopped with the a/c on its fine, blows nice and cold. Its not that big of a deal for me cause now i have another issue, i have something leaking on the passenger side behind the engine, i've been told its the speedo senser or steering fluid. Im going to buy a leak solvent for it and can i use any steering fluid?

shepherd79
03-10-2007, 09:50 AM
DO NOT USE POWER STEERING STOP LEAK ON HONDA CARS.
honda cars only use special PS fluid. it will even say FOR HONDA USE ONLY!!
don't out any stop leak in PS system, it probably will screw things up even worse.
find a leak and fix it.

smell the fluid thas is leaking. I bet it is condensation from AC. the drain pipe is on the passenger side.

HondaBoy
03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
sounds like your guess of power steering fluid is right on target. i just replaced my transmission and noticed mine has leaked some as well back where the speedo cable plugs in, but has since quit and i havent had to put any more fluid. i used bardahl honda compatable fluid. i dunno if its because something is wrong with power steering or what but it has never been that great after i replace the rack. maybe i should try putting real Honda ps fluid?

A20A1
03-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I used the wrong stuff and it bust the lines so quick :)

ahmad89
03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
So dont use stop leak, gay i just bought some luckly i didnt put it in thx shep. The leak seemed to stop after i got to work i didnt see any leaking and when i was leaving from work i checked the ps fluid and it was where i filled it up, i looked under the car no leak. I'll just keep this stop leak incase someone else needs it.Im not worried about the a/c anymore cause i hardly use it and when i do use it i have it on while im driving but when im stopped i turn it off and its still cold air. Im waiting for vanilla to give me an estimate on the dizzy and fan until if any problems arise i'll let you guys know. Thank you for the advice.

MessyHonda
03-10-2007, 09:33 PM
So dont use stop leak, gay i just bought some luckly i didnt put it in thx shep. The leak seemed to stop after i got to work i didnt see any leaking and when i was leaving from work i checked the ps fluid and it was where i filled it up, i looked under the car no leak. I'll just keep this stop leak incase someone else needs it.Im not worried about the a/c anymore cause i hardly use it and when i do use it i have it on while im driving but when im stopped i turn it off and its still cold air. Im waiting for vanilla to give me an estimate on the dizzy and fan until if any problems arise i'll let you guys know. Thank you for the advice.

sorry for the stop leak stuff.....i didnt know it might mess stuff up. go return it and see if you can get Honda fluid instead.

ahmad89
03-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Its ok messy aslong as i didnt put it in its all good. I might return it tomorrow or some other day before this week is over.