PDA

View Full Version : speed sensor

johndej
03-10-2007, 08:52 AM
turns out that what was messin up my speedo wasn't the cable but the speed sensor. I've been told that on my car this isn't too hard a thing to fix, that i've just gotta pull the intake off, remove two vacume hoses, and then pull it outta the tranny. is this right or is there anything more? and would this be a part that i could get from the junk yard or should i buy new ($150 :violin: ). also, if anyone wouldn't mind posting a pic of it that might help me out as i'm not quite sure which one it is and the pdf for the shop manual is down.

ps. i just went and shimmied the cable back and forth in the sensor and it worked for like 1/2 a mile so would that mean that its just got a bad connection or is the sensor still probably shot? alsom it had lost a bit of PS fluid when i changed my oil after driving it about 75 miles w/ no speedo (PS acting on high assist the whole time) if that tells anyone anything.

shepherd79
03-10-2007, 09:55 AM
well i don't know who told you that you have to remove intake manifold and tranny to get to speed sensor. they are trying to rip your off. you can get to speed sensor from the top. you only need 10mm wrench and 2 flat screw drivers to pry with.
just disconnect the cable and hoses, make sure you remember which one goes where.
unscrew the 10 mm bolt and try to pull it out. it will be very tight fit but it should come out.

johndej
03-10-2007, 10:02 AM
haha, yeah, i knew you didn't need to pull the tranny or the manifold (just the intake hose), i just worded that a little funny sorry.

MessyHonda
03-10-2007, 09:09 PM
nice easy fix.

johndej
03-11-2007, 07:13 PM
ok, havn't gotten around to fixing this yet (no 5speed 3geez in our junk yard) but my check engine light started comin on. could this be caused by the speed sensor bein out?

ghettogeddy
03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
no there is only 2 vac lines and the speedo cable going in to it also there is a 10mm bolt(i believe) in the back then u just twist it back and forth and out it comes thats were i normally put tranny fluid in at

guaynabo89
03-11-2007, 08:13 PM
correct

except they are not vacuum lines, they are power stering lines so be ware of squirting hoses! :D

ghettogeddy
03-11-2007, 08:41 PM
correct
except they are not vacuum lines, they are power stering lines so be ware of squirting hoses! :D
they are there for power assist so wouldn't they be vac lines

shepherd79
03-12-2007, 05:09 AM
they are there for power assist so wouldn't they be vac lines
no they are not vacuum lines. have you even took them out. they have PS fluid runing through them.
you have some much to learn.

ghettogeddy
03-12-2007, 06:07 AM
no they are not vacuum lines. have you even took them out. they have PS fluid runing through them.
you have some much to learn.
well i ve removed them like 3 times at least and never had ps fluid leak out but there was a little there so ok but it is for power assist right

johndej
03-12-2007, 06:23 AM
yeah, its deff for power assist cause the car is steering incredibly light right now i could prob drive with one finger if i wanted

MessyHonda
03-12-2007, 08:44 AM
well i ve removed them like 3 times at least and never had ps fluid leak out but there was a little there so ok but it is for power assist right

its cuz you never had fluid.

Blkblurr
03-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Power assist comes from the hydraulic pressure the power steering pump creates. The valve that controls which direction to assist in is triggered by turning the steering wheel. This valve allows the oil pressure generated by the ps pump to push the rack in the direction you are steering. No vacuum there at all. The speed sensor determines how much of the ps pump pressure gets to the rack.

Oldblueaccord
03-14-2007, 04:50 AM
ok, havn't gotten around to fixing this yet (no 5speed 3geez in our junk yard) but my check engine light started comin on. could this be caused by the speed sensor bein out?

if your speedo is not working then it will cause a code in the computer. Mine the cable would pop out and code once in a while.

wp

88Accord-DX
03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
In a variable-assist steering system with a steering wheel rotation sensor, the hydraulic boost increases when the steering wheel rotation exceeds a specified limit. Power steering assist also is increased & decreased at higher speeds.
The system is designed to provide better feel and control at higher speends. The variable steering systems are usually designed to start firming up the steering at speeds over 25 mph and to reach the maximum firmness between 60-80 mph, depending on the design. On most vehicles, the main input for the variable-assist steering systems is the vehicle speed sensor, but some manufactures also use a steering wheel rotation sensor so the vehicle will revert to full assist during evasive maneuvers. On most vehicles, the system goes to full assist below 25 mph.
Pump pressure is controlled by a variable orifice or pressure control valve. Hydraulic pressure is reduced or gradually reduced as vehicle speed increases. Problems within the system may cause a noticeable change in the amount of steering effort at different speeds. The steering may feel stiffer at low speeds or lighter at high speeds. A faulty speed sensor will prevent the system from operating properly. On computerized systems, the controller will put the system in full assist mode at all speeds and steering maneuvers if a fault is detected.