PDA

View Full Version : Clutch disk surface area..

88' Accord Ltd
03-11-2007, 10:08 AM
210mm? Searched and I can't find it.

Swapping a tranny out on my civic, ended up grabbing an 88 si tranny. heard you can use the a20 clutch disk as it has a 21 spline count and the same surface area as the 91 si disk.

Can anyone confirm the size of the clutch disk before I go out and buy one?

MessyHonda
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
i would not be mixing and matching parts....from what i heard our accords can only be swaped with 2nd gen prelude parts since they have the same engine. i never heard of a civic tranny with a20 clutch.....i would get the correct clutch plus civics have more aftermarket.

88' Accord Ltd
03-12-2007, 06:10 AM
i would not be mixing and matching parts....from what i heard our accords can only be swaped with 2nd gen prelude parts since they have the same engine. i never heard of a civic tranny with a20 clutch.....i would get the correct clutch plus civics have more aftermarket.

not really the answer im looking for, if the spline count on the clutch and the surface area is the same as what it should be then there is no differance. I don't like mixing and matching parts myself, but put in a position where I have no choice. I have no way to get my hands on an 88 flywheel to put the thing together in a timely manner as I need to drive the car for work.

So no one here knows the size of the A20 clutch?

88' Accord Ltd
03-12-2007, 11:34 AM
For anyone who wanted to know, size was 212mm, matches the size of the 90-91 civic flywheel but has a 21 spline count so works with the 88 si tranny! What a hassle a tranny swap turned into. Putting it together tonight, I'll post up if I had any issues.

BITESIZE
03-12-2007, 11:44 AM
You're using it on your civic? I'm hungover and lost lol.

88' Accord Ltd
03-12-2007, 11:55 AM
You're using it on your civic? I'm hungover and lost lol.

yeah, I lost 1st, 2nd and 5th on friday, I picked up a used tranny but found out it was an 88 tranny which has a spline count of 21, and uses a smaller flywheel/clutch combo. So i couldnt use it with my 91 clutch/pp cause it has a 20 spline count.

You can't use the 88 pp/clutch on the 91 flywheel cause its just too small and the holes dont line up. I had no way to get my hands on an 88 flywheel to buy the proper clutch.

Doing some searching found out some people used the A20 clutch with the 91 civic pressure plate and flywheel to use the 88 si tranny cause of the 21 spline count. the size of the disc is 212mm so its exactly the same as the 91 civic except has a 21 spline count so the 88 tranny will slip on and I get to use the bigger pp/clutch size still! :rockon:

I can imagine it being a bit hard to follow all hung over :thumbup:

BITESIZE
03-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Ok, I understand now. Let us know how it works!

BITESIZE
03-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Shut up ya pansy!:Owned:

MessyHonda
03-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Shut up ya pansy!:Owned:

quiet foo......go to sleep or something

88' Accord Ltd
03-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Ok, I understand now. Let us know how it works!

Just got finished putting everything back together, works without a hitch! Just another part from our a20as that can be swapped onto other hondas! :cheers:

bullard123
03-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Just got finished putting everything back together, works without a hitch! Just another part from our a20as that can be swapped onto other hondas! :cheers:
Man I haven't seen u in a while. How is everthing going? Ever get your accord fixed?

88' Accord Ltd
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Man I haven't seen u in a while. How is everthing going? Ever get your accord fixed?

I actually ended up getting that one towed away, kept all the good stuff though, suspension, kit, shaved doors. I picked up another 89 ex-i with a blown auto tranny and swapped the 5 speed into it, got that one towed away. Kind of projecting it for the summer, only thing I need to get is some wheels :)

Bigger project is my 88 dx civic, picked it up from california last summer, b16 swap (getting rebuild), I/H/E, gsr cams, flywheel, clutch, axels, obd1 running on p30 ecu, tein coilovers, picked up a 98' spec itr 5 lug swap with wheels for really cheap here so I put that on, all it needs is a new mc/brake booster. the stock one just dosent cut it now.

Then the 91 civic daily driver, mpfi swap, intake and 50 shot, kyb/eibach suspension (came on the 88 =D). Things have been good!

Nice progess on the hatch! The 2 tone is hot, nice choice of colors. Last time I saw it, if I remember you were just a new member here! Just picked it up! Those hatchies have been growing on me lately..:rockon:

bullard123
03-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I actually ended up getting that one towed away, kept all the good stuff though, suspension, kit, shaved doors. I picked up another 89 ex-i with a blown auto tranny and swapped the 5 speed into it, got that one towed away. Kind of projecting it for the summer, only thing I need to get is some wheels :)
Bigger project is my 88 dx civic, picked it up from california last summer, b16 swap (getting rebuild), I/H/E, gsr cams, flywheel, clutch, axels, obd1 running on p30 ecu, tein coilovers, picked up a 98' spec itr 5 lug swap with wheels for really cheap here so I put that on, all it needs is a new mc/brake booster. the stock one just dosent cut it now.
Then the 91 civic daily driver, mpfi swap, intake and 50 shot, kyb/eibach suspension (came on the 88 =D). Things have been good!
Nice progess on the hatch! The 2 tone is hot, nice choice of colors. Last time I saw it, if I remember you were just a new member here! Just picked it up! Those hatchies have been growing on me lately..:rockon:

Yeah thats right lol. I was a new member back then. Yeah my hatch has come a long way. It was AOM back in August of last year and I still have a couple of more things to do with it. Its been in a few car shows too but right now. I'm focusing on getting this B20a put in. Its been sitting almost a year now. Im still waiting on my 5 speed trannny to get here and then she will be ready. I miss your accord it was pretty clean. You shoul post some pics of it for old time's sake:) And that civic is going to be a beast.