PDA

View Full Version : stock rebuilt head, or port n polished head, opinion poll

newaccorddriver
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
well, my engine is almost ready for assembly. within the next week or so, im finally gathering the remaining parts i need for my complete rebuild. right now, im stuck on whether i want to use the head that i got from elijah which has been ported n polished, and a bunch of other stuff, or a basic rebuilt head.

for performance purposes, i should stick with elijahs head, but i was originally planning on using that for my build motor which i was planning on building after this. im semi-tight on money right now, atleast until people pay me back:rant: , so cant afford to do everything unless i space it out a couple more weeks. as far as the OEM rebuild would go, im using prelude exhaust springs all around, so im prepared to rev higher then stock once i change over to megasquirt. as soon as i change over to megasquirt, i am unsure of whether or not elijahs head can handle those excessively higher RPMs

anyone care to have a say in what i should do? im NOT willing to pay out the ass to have the best of both worlds by porting n polishing my stock head, and i dont really wanna mod elijahs head with the springs.

snoopyloopy
03-13-2007, 09:41 PM
are you building for turbo or na? and where do you project your powerband to be?

newaccorddriver
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
breaking it in NA, once broken in, it will be turboed

as far as powerband, id like it somewhere around 3500+ rpm

snoopyloopy
03-14-2007, 01:12 PM
well then, what turbo are you looking at? and where is it's greatest efficiency given our engine size and approximate flow rate? personally, i think both would have it's advantages. do you have both heads already? why not just rebuild the p&p head w/ the high-rev head specs? the best of both worlds right there.

newaccorddriver
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
one of thems awaiting a rebuild, while the other one has be rebuilt and already modded. the reason why i dont want to use the high revving springs is because i dont want to unseat the valves and possibly lead to leakage

bobafett
03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
personally i say dont rush anything. you mentioned needing to take a few extra weeks to even afford elijah's head setup. I say to wait as long as you need, and do you what you WANT. if that costs more thats fine, it will just take longer to get there. you will regret going the 'fast' way if you do it just to finish. now if you decide that its not worth it to work on elijah's head to put on the new springs etc then thats fine. but don't jump the gun just because you want the motor done sooner.

personally I suggest the ported and polished head, and take your time getting it all ready, and put in the new springs into that head. but I don't have a problem waiting in order for things to be done right.

its a boosted motor, you will see more gains than if it were NA, imo now is the time, not later when you decide you wish you had better flow. :D