PDA

View Full Version : 'what are you doing' thread

frantik
03-14-2007, 10:27 PM
I noticed it seems like the 'what are you doing' thread is fubar.. i think in general it's hard of the board software for rediculously long threads.. perhaps it should be closed and a new one started? :welcome:

A20A1
03-14-2007, 10:32 PM
omg, that thread gave me a headache.... It was too big to start over.
I dunno if it's deleted or what.

I was going to grab one of lostforawhiles posts and convert it to a "What are you doing right now II" thread

A20A1
03-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Okay I flushed it for good this time... time to start over :)

A20A1
03-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh and thats what caused the board down time... me trying to start that thread over again :)

carotman
03-14-2007, 10:57 PM
You broke the board Mike! :(

forrest89sei
03-14-2007, 10:59 PM
LOL, I think we should have a Mass email to all members when the forum will be down for an amount of time.

I thought it was hacked or the server died!

A20A1
03-14-2007, 11:08 PM
hey I was the one sweatin....

After the board went down I was like,

Oops!

:)

MessyHonda
03-15-2007, 07:58 AM
you made my home...crash......

shepherd79
03-15-2007, 01:00 PM
so that is why the board is soooo much faster. It used to hang on me and trust me it is not my connection.
Since you wiped out that thread the board feels so much faster.
I say lets keep that thread under 50 pages. if it gets over 50 pages wipe it and start another one.

mkymonkey
03-15-2007, 01:20 PM
haha 50 pages...the whores will have it done before sunset!

MessyHonda
03-15-2007, 05:31 PM
so that is why the board is soooo much faster. It used to hang on me and trust me it is not my connection.
I say lets keep that thread under 50 pages. if it gets over 50 pages wipe it and start another one.

phhhhs.....its your connection....cuz i have 10mbps download and it never lags on me

A18A
03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
the site still times out on me alot, but i think its my connection too

A20A1
03-16-2007, 02:14 AM

sounds good to me :)

though we can give em 100 pages

I think I have mine set to maximum posts per page.

lostforawhile
03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
omfg my thread crashed the site? is this a record? lets start it over but delete pages over 2 weeks old.

bobafett
03-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Personally I think threads like that are a waste of bandwidth, and I would love to delete them all. :) If they are getting to the point of screwing up the useful aspects of 3geez then they need to go. :(

I'm sure I am not the only one who feels like this...

There is OT, and then there is pointless BS... and I am pretty sure that however large the thread got, was awfully pointless.

Maybe we (Marc, Joe?) could look into a 3geez hosted chat room for forum members... (thought I don't know the bandwidth requirements, it certainly wouldn't stress the DB or hosting storage limitations as much as this does.

IMHO the obvious post whoring threads should be kept to a chat style conversation. There is nothing meaningful or useful that deserves to be retained on the Internet forever... And to allow people their conversational style threads with quick 1 word replies etc a chat room would be more appropriate in the first place.

Opinions?

86AccordLxi
03-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Perfectly stated.

There's been much talk over the years of having a chat function, and honestly aim chats and chats that require some sort of client software have been less successful. Some sort of integrated feature would be great.

Alex

2oodoor
03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
yes, yes yes and then and then and then..
at least the thread keeps a good percentage of the to and from.. contained just a little anyway.

frantik
03-16-2007, 04:27 PM
I like the 'what are you doing' thread.. sure it's like a chat room in a way, but it's still a message board in that you can read things people said hours or even days ago.

I also think that thread has helped keep the post whoring contained.. when people wanna chitchat they can post there instead of whatever thread is convienient

I do think the locking/deleting after 50 pages or whatever is a good idea though. :)

A20A1
03-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Personally I think threads like that are a waste of bandwidth, and I would love to delete them all. :) If they are getting to the point of screwing up the useful aspects of 3geez then they need to go. :(

There is OT, and then there is pointless BS... and I am pretty sure that however large the thread got, was awfully pointless.

Maybe we (Marc, Joe?) could look into a 3geez hosted chat room for forum members... (thought I don't know the bandwidth requirements, it certainly wouldn't stress the DB or hosting storage limitations as much as this does.

IMHO the obvious post whoring threads should be kept to a chat style conversation. There is nothing meaningful or useful that deserves to be retained on the Internet forever... And to allow people their conversational style threads with quick 1 word replies etc a chat room would be more appropriate in the first place.

Opinions?

169 pages I think... then I deleted it.

That was with 20 posts per page I think.

lostforawhile
03-16-2007, 05:53 PM

Opinions?this was not a useless thread,this gave people a point to come to when they first logged in for the day,or when they got off of work. example: hey whats up? did you see so and so's new rims? or just finished up something on my car go to such and such a forum and check it out. it gave a very friendly feeling to the site and brought a lot of members together as friends. a chatroom is a good idea,but the problem is that on a chatroom,the posts are gone right away. this would have worked a lot better if say anything more then two weeks old gets deleted. the reason you want to be able to go back,is that someone who has just logged in might want to go back a couple of pages and see whats been going on,while they were off. I never expected it to take off like this, I think that says everything about this thread. it had a huge popularity with the members. it just got too big for the server because the old stale posts never got deleted.

bobafett
03-17-2007, 07:57 AM
it just got too big for the server because the old stale posts never got deleted.

welcome to internet forums. generally speaking, the fact that old posts never get deleted is what makes forums so valuable. you can search around for stuff from the very beginning of the forum, and everyone's posts are still there.

I understand what you are saying, but seriously if it is interfering and causing the board to go down, we need to come up with another solution - IMHO. I don't think there is any need to retain the type of conversation that goes on in threads like this. Yes they may be popular, but they aren't doing anybody any good when you cannot access 3geez at all.

mkymonkey
03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
i say we just stick to the delete after 2 weeks plan :D

A20A1
03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I wonder if there is an auto lock function, like how polls can be closed after a set time.

2oodoor
03-17-2007, 10:33 AM
this was not a useless thread,this gave people a point to come to when they first logged in for the day,or when they got off of work. example: hey whats up? did you see so and so's new rims? or just finished up something on my car go to such and such a forum and check it out. it gave a very friendly feeling to the site and brought a lot of members together as friends. a chatroom is a good idea,but the problem is that on a chatroom,the posts are gone right away. this would have worked a lot better if say anything more then two weeks old gets deleted. the reason you want to be able to go back,is that someone who has just logged in might want to go back a couple of pages and see whats been going on,while they were off. I never expected it to take off like this, I think that says everything about this thread. it had a huge popularity with the members. it just got too big for the server because the old stale posts never got deleted.
well said bro

It helps the other threads to keep on point, at least a little until , I am all for that.

BITESIZE
03-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Another option...Delete it at the end of the month and restart a new on the first of the month?

reanimator420
03-17-2007, 12:09 PM
just delete the whole thread please and end the pwing for good!! thats my op

lostforawhile
03-17-2007, 12:14 PM
welcome to internet forums. generally speaking, the fact that old posts never get deleted is what makes forums so valuable. you can search around for stuff from the very beginning of the forum, and everyone's posts are still there.
I understand what you are saying, but seriously if it is interfering and causing the board to go down, we need to come up with another solution - IMHO. I don't think there is any need to retain the type of conversation that goes on in threads like this. Yes they may be popular, but they aren't doing anybody any good when you cannot access 3geez at all.
well if any posts over a couple of weeks got pruned, the thread would function fine,this is an unusual thread due to the fact that it's fun bsing and no one really cares much about the old posts that are really old. if it was kept to a controlled number of posts

lostforawhile
03-17-2007, 12:17 PM
just delete the whole thread please and end the pwing for good!! thats my opwell it really helps a lot to keep the postwhoring out of the other threads,thats why it's in off topic. before this thread started there was def a lot more postwhoring. it's just much eaisier to keep one thread pruned.

forrest89sei
03-17-2007, 03:03 PM
well it really helps a lot to keep the postwhoring out of the other threads,thats why it's in off topic. before this thread started there was def a lot more postwhoring. it's just much eaisier to keep one thread pruned.

Yeah I agree, cuz most of the time we never use the AIM Chatrooms or the java based room that you made.

I find I like the forum more since that thread has been started, since anytime of day even if no one else is posting I can say what I want it also gives us all a chance to vent and share fun stuff, without the hassle of going to another website or loading AIM if were say @ work or on public computer.

I also agree that deleting post's weekly is fine, I'd rather have it cleaned weekly then have the forum going down for hours like it did the other night and the night after that.

So :thumbup: to keeping the NEW one going
& :thumbup: to a weekly cleaning for the sake of keeping the forum goong smooth.

I think if anyone else has further problems with the thread We should have a mod put up a poll.

Civic Accord Honda
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
if this thread got deleted i would miss it :( even tho i dontpost alot on it i sure do read it alot

frantik
05-28-2007, 01:16 AM
i miss these threads :crying: They were getting kinda crazy though lol like 1000 posts a week lol.

Perhaps a shoutbox would be a cool aleternative: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38698

It's free to d/l for liscensed VB owners :D

barring that it would be cool to maybe have like one thread a month and once they get too big no more till the next month or something.. :dunno: :)

A18A
05-28-2007, 01:27 AM
yeah i miss that thread too :thumbdn:

2drSE-i
05-28-2007, 06:49 AM
shoutboxes take a shit ton of bandwidth tho...

2drSE-i
05-28-2007, 06:50 AM
join the foundation, we have our own what are you doing thread :-)

frantik
05-28-2007, 06:53 AM
shoutboxes take a shit ton of bandwidth tho...

how do you figure?

A18A
05-28-2007, 06:55 AM
join the foundation, we have our own what are you doing thread :-)
shhhhhh :squint: hehe

2drSE-i
05-28-2007, 08:08 AM
ive seen sites with them, they take tons of bandwidth and they take forever to load most of the time.

MessyHonda
05-28-2007, 09:21 AM
ive seen sites with them, they take tons of bandwidth and they take forever to load most of the time.

lol this is a place for information. the aim chatroom does good if we get like 4-6 people

Civic Accord Honda
05-28-2007, 11:27 AM
shoutboxs are cool

lostforawhile
05-28-2007, 12:07 PM
the thread worked fine,but it needed an auto delete feature,to maby delete the thread over a couple of weeks old,then it would run forever and never overload the system

frantik
05-28-2007, 01:56 PM
^ thats the idea behind a shoutbox.. it's like a thread which autodeletes old posts.. or at least it should autodelete them

This shoutbox for VB definitely supports autopruning :) and says it's not terribly server intensive http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131002

StressSolutions
06-02-2007, 11:41 AM
What I'm doing is waiting patiently for my Honda to break. Last 2 repairs were ball joints, rears in Sept 2006, and a front in March 07 with a alignment too. I hear a clicking/clunking when I turn, so I'm sure a CV joint is wearing out.

I think my Ford pickup needs balljoints too. Maybe I should work on that.