PDA

View Full Version : Why bother with CAr Alarm?

sanjay
09-07-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm tossing up whether to get a car alarm or not.
I'm thinking that a good thief will not be phased by the car alarm.
First of all, many of the public do not react when car alarms are set off, they just have a good look and bail.
I don't think there are many people willing to go up and ask them WTF they are doing!

I'm thinking that getting a car alarm is a waste of good $$ which could be better spent somewhere else on the car...

DO YOU REACT WHEN A CAR ALARM GOES OFF?

Site
09-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I react when a car alarm goes off. If I saw someone robbing someone else's car, I would call 911 or approach them, probably both.

Another reason to get an alarm - there are many on this board who have had their car broken into. You can install your own alarm for less than $100 - one with pressure sensitivity.

Bobs89LXi
09-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Car alarms are more of an annoyance than a deterrent these days. The best item on the market today is Low Jack. It takes GPS (Global Positioning System) technology to a new level. It may not prevent punks from initially stealing your car, but police can find it's exact location within minutes of getting the call. I believe that it will be the next major mod purchase I make for my car. I am surprised that they haven't developed a Low Jack system with a hand-held remote data device, perhaps a combination cell tranceiver/GPS that shows you the exact location of your car at all times. Not only would this come in handy if your car is stolen, but also in large mall parking lots, when you can't remember where you parked. :D

catalin
09-07-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Bobs89LXi
Car alarms are more of an annoyance than a deterrent these days. The best item on the market today is Low Jack. It takes GPS (Global Positioning System) technology to a new level. It may not prevent punks from initially stealing your car, but police can find it's exact location within minutes of getting the call. I believe that it will be the next major mod purchase I make for my car. I am surprised that they haven't developed a Low Jack system with a hand-held remote data device, perhaps a combination cell tranceiver/GPS that shows you the exact location of your car at all times. Not only would this come in handy if your car is stolen, but also in large mall parking lots, when you can't remember where you parked. :D

GPS is great but it won't work through garages, tunnels, parkades, or anything with a cover like a boat container. I would have to say that GPS isn't worth it, but a good car alarm with two normally open circuits and sensors would do it. Then again alarms aren't a guarantee that your car won't be stolen or found.

sanjay
09-07-2002, 07:08 PM
QUOTE:
Then again alarms aren't a guarantee that your car won't be stolen or found.

exactly - wouldn't the money be better spent somewhere else?
I mean, my neighbours car was stolen from his DRIVEWAY! he lives right next door!!! If the accord wasn't parked in the garage, it would have been swiped too!!!!
Holy crap. I dunno what to do,
I'm worried someone will lift my lovely 3G./

pimp86LX
09-07-2002, 07:19 PM
If thieves want your stuff...they're gunna get it. Personally i have my alarm for when i'm sleeping, and it has woken me up a few times. it IS worth it becuase its better than nothing.

but if they want it bad enough, they'll have it

sanjay
09-07-2002, 07:24 PM
thats a good point, something is better than nothing.

TeKKnoTeKK
09-08-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Bobs89LXi

How is that gonna help ya when you have a 2000$ stereo system, 1500$ wheels, and whatever else of value on/in your car? The thieves will take the car, take what they want out/off of it and bail. I know for a fact that if I had an alarm the times I was jacked it would never have happened, the thiefs would have seen the blinking light and looked the other way. And if by chance they did try, you have a hell of a lot better chance of keeping your shit than if they steal the car. I won't have anything of value in/on my car without an alarm. Besides, an alarm WILL keep the thief from stealing your car by bypassing the ignition along with whatever else alarms can do these days. Any thief good enough to get by that shit isn't going to bother with a 2000$ car. I could see the GPS system on a car worth something tho :D

jigga225
09-08-2002, 02:46 PM
man why wouldnt you want to get the extra insurance of an alarm.
A lot of theives are dumb ameature punks who dont know how to disable the alarm. all they can do is break a window and start pullin shit.
I Bolted a custom bracket to the inside of the dash to bolt on the back of my CD player... anobody's gettin that bitch out without a fight and some brain power..

Just the blinnking LED and the Chirp when you leave will scare them away sometimes

sanjay
09-09-2002, 12:20 AM
I think i might get an alarm and immobiliser...
that should be enough of a deterrent...

SQ is the SQUAD
09-09-2002, 05:20 PM
half the people that i know are car theives, thats what inner city public high scxhool does. so i am gonna let yall hip to some stuff. alarms are the best investment you can ever buy for your car. if riged right a theif will never get your car unless a tow truck was used or it was pushed. when getting an alarm try to get one with a unique siren, we all know that sire that everyon has, no one pays attention to it. starter kill. most people neglet to hook this up, that is one in the worst mistakes you can make. the only thing it its better the hook the rely up to the main power to your ecu or fuel pump, that way if your car is stick in cannot be push started or it its auto the theif cannot jump the starter. another thing alot of people dont hook up is there hood pins. these are very important. all a thgeif has to do is put his hand up you drivers side fender and pull the hood wire and the hood will open. once the hood is opened the theif can pull out you siren. that brings me to the next part. do not mount you siren where it can be easily pulled out, hide it so when the hood is opened and the alarm is going off it will take the teif a while to find it. another thing is mutiple sirens, they only cost about $8 each. that way when one gets pulled out the other is still going off. now days if you search ebay you can pick up an add on galss brake sensor for about $15 or cheeper, can rember. this is good for smart and dumb theives. a dumb theif i gonna throw something through the window emmiting the high frequency pitch the bracking glass makes setting off the alarm. a smart theif will use the broken porcelin off a spark plug. the thrown through glass it makes no noise what so ever. but the glass breake sensor will still pick up the pitch we cannot hear and activate the alarm. a good shock sensor is very important. i have hooked up alarms that the sensor did not activate the alarm until you shut the door, some just are not sensitive enough. hooking up your door pins is also very important, this way if you door is opened it will activate the alarm. my alarm i got the crime stopper pager alarm, it has every feature and it is usable up to 4.5 blocks sway from my house. wich is like 8x mmore than any other alarm i used. this alarm is good because even if your alarm box is ripped out the pager will go off until you push the button. you can find that on ebay too. but make sure you get the crime stopper one, there are fakes. the next thing is the club, although a theif can cut you steering wheel to get it off, its still useful cuz most theifs dont want to waste the time cutting, and most theift dont have saw handy. but i will say the most important thing is the lo jack, its the only thing that will find you car once its gone, ill hit some on this topic later, i gotta jump in the shower, ill answer any questions needed aim h0ndavtec <-- the 0 is a zero

catalin
09-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Hondavtec you made some great points.. I agree with you 100%...

My question is, is that 3gen accord in your avatar?

87pimpsterdocious
09-09-2002, 10:52 PM
that's his accord with the prelude front conversion in the pic.

h0ndavtec, i'm also planning on getting that alarm. Does it have the siren that sounds like all the rest? It says six tone on all the web sites i've seen it on and I think that's the most popular one that no one listens to. Also, did you have to buy extra shock sensors or do they come with it? Any help on what you think I should get to use with this alarm would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I'd probably have to find a place to install it because I've never installed one before. Can you recommend a chain that would do this well?

Mike89Accordcom
09-09-2002, 11:42 PM
My alarm saved my accord 5 times. So they are a great investment. I feel very safe with my alarms on both my cars. Reguardless if people ignore them, they still get the publics attention. Car alarms are loud.

sanjay
09-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Holy shit hondaVtec.... that was so detailed... my eyes hurt...
you write as much as Gr3k0slav.... :D just joking...
Anyways, thanks a lot...
i think i might bother to invest in a car alarm. - It sounds good :D

I also might by another car. A car with i won't care for... I won't care if it gets stolen. That's how cheap i'll buy it. I just don't wanna leave my accord where it'll get stolen or worse, stuff get stolen out of it!

gr3k0sLaV
09-10-2002, 06:11 AM
here in australia no ONE GIVES a shit about car alarms,

im just getting one which costs $400 only because it has a remote starter,

plus my car is never far from me anyway, so incase it goes off, I can run outside with a weapon...

pimp86LX
09-10-2002, 07:51 AM
yeah but if you have an ignition bypass, it don't matter if anyone cares cause the dang theif can't steel the car. All he can do is be a punk and jack shit, which i know still sucks, but at leats you can still run him down with your car
:devil:

RCracer
09-10-2002, 08:22 AM
My Alarm isnt there to look after my car its there to look after my stereo, speakers and cd's.
OK it so it stops them stealing my car too!! thats a bonus.
Car alarms are ignored in the UK but something is beter than nothing.

SQ is the SQUAD
09-10-2002, 08:47 AM
ill try to answer all questions. first off, yes thats my car, its in 88 accord dx hatch with a 2000 prelude front and rear convershion.

that alarm does come with that siren that everyone has, which sucks, what i am gonna do next is hook mine you tp some air horns, you can get them a auto zone and they are loud as all hell, you will know its you car going off and a theif will not want to look under you hood for it cuz its so loud. the alarm does come with a shock sensor but i feel mine is not sensitive enough, i can walk up to my car and tap the winssheild and nothing will happen, i guess it also depents on where you nount the sensor. they have duel premitor sensors on ebay, they sound pretty good and i am about to order one right now, the dect air movement inside the car. as for getting it installed, i am not sure, i did mine own i it took me 3 days, and i am not finished!!! there alot of stuff to hook up, i would recomment have it professionally installed, most likely at a glass place, most glass places do alarms, or a car audio place. make sure the hook up every feature, be prepared to spen alot of money on the installation, i was quoted from $150-250.

i love my alarm just for the pager. i also brought this add on that rools up my windows once the alarm is armed, this is usefull if you hate waiting in the car until your windows rool up, you can do it in a click of a button. if anyone has anymore questions on special rigs or anything ask, i may be able to help you out

87accordlx
09-10-2002, 09:34 AM
i always thought a good feature (but i'm sure it's not legal) in a car alarm is a 120 dB air horn hooked up inside the car with a 30 second delay, if it isn't turned off within 30 seconds of the car being started it goes off, the thief might put your car into a tree as soon as that goes off but you get the satisfaction of knowing he's now deaf

SQ is the SQUAD
09-10-2002, 10:16 AM
check these out

unhook that truck switch and rig this up
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379930791

auto window roll up
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379930784

a great add on sensor upgrade
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379930761

glass break sensor
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379930705

add power door locks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379930702

this one is for 87accord dx, interior siren
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379015305

the real deal alarm, make sure it says CRIMESTOPPER!!! this one has the time on the remote, you can program your remote starter to start the same time every morning. other fakes are not crime stopper and do not have the timer, i have had both the fake and the real and they both work just as good, the remoters are the same the only dirrerence is the clock, i even think that the olde crimestoppers came without the clock. the boxes and wires are even that same, thay were prbable made in the same factory. you can also search auctions for one with 2 remotes

bewarer!!! fake crimestopper alarm, dont be fooled
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379627386

the best part of this is that all the good stuff comes from one ebay power seller, he is good fast and honest. i have done business with him pleanty of times and have not had a problem, do you have to worry about being ripped off, check his feedback!! m-n-s enterprise. he also combines shipping!!!!

i feel like i am runnig for election for alarm moderator!!! vote for me!!!!! i am about to order the trunk popper, 2 interion sirens and the dual premiator sensor, ill keep yall informed on how it works out

catalin
09-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Hondavtec anyway you can post some pics of your ride?? Maybe detailed ones how you did the conversion?? If there are some pics on this site please let me know where since I haven't found them yet... :)
thanks

87pimpsterdocious
09-11-2002, 01:13 AM
thanks for all the info hondavtec! catalin, he posted some pics in the pic section as well as info on the conversion, and since i'm a nice guy i got the link for you: http://209.151.81.66/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5134

sanjay
09-11-2002, 02:30 AM
yeah thanks HondaVtec.... now i duno whether or get an alarm or not...
say by the way,
how much is all that stuff costing you?
Its seems the price isn't an issue with you, particularly with the headlight and tail light conversion n all....
peace,
J

SQ is the SQUAD
09-11-2002, 07:45 AM
so fat on the alarm since i did all the installation wor myself i am looking around $300, most of it was really for a cool factor. i live with my grandparents rent free and the only bill i have is my nextel bill, i got a really good job so i have alot of money to spend on the car, eventhough i got an 88 dx accord i am getting the lojack system. you sohuld get that alarm, most theives would break into old cars like ours are just punk kids looking for an easy raido or system, the cheepest alarm will scare them. yeah, go to the pics section to check my car, leave a commint please, i like to know what everyone thinks, good or bad, i have think skin

Fascarz
09-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Hey h0ndavtec, just wondering if you had any experience with the Autolock (the one on TV that bolts to your brake or clutch pedal)? I have a Sidewinder alarm with all the goodies (auto-window rollup, power locks, remote starter, starter kill, etc), and was thinking about adding additional security as well with a club AND the Autolock. I figure if they really want my car, they'll have to work REALLY hard at getting it. Oh, I'm also looking for a hoodlock for our cars as well. My friend who owns a stereo/alarm shop says that he hasn't found one that isn't a bitch to install and that works really well yet...any ideas???

SQ is the SQUAD
09-11-2002, 11:06 AM
hor the hood lock get a chapman, i am getting one for my hood and one for my trunk, sure the old big and ugly but i havent see or heard on any other. as for the auto lock and club, thoce will come off with a simple cut of the steering wheel, but there still good to have. i saw this new club device the other day that looks pretty good, it covers the whole steering wheel making it very hard to cut through. i havenl looked at it up close but i am sure with enough force you can take a nice screw driver or pry bar and bend the steering wheel out of it or bend it off the stering wheel. there is no saftey device that a crook cannot get therogh. i rember when those removeanle staaring wheeks where popular, then theves just started bringing there own steering wheels. take out cars for instance, once a theif gets in, if he has 2 mins to spare all he needs is a screwdriver and a 4 way wire wrench. all he has to do is pop the h simbol off the horn piece and unscrew the steering wheel, take it off and put his own on and be on his merry way.

RobT5580
09-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Hondavtec, thanks for that info on ebay i was planning on getting the door locks and trunk release but autolock was so expensive so i put it off and i was gonna go to a junk yard and take the door locks out of a 4dr because they should fit properly but i just ordered that stuff because it was so cheap. we will have to see on quality but if its a problem i can upgrade later. My alarm is already set up for all of that stuff so it should be good except all the wires that i will have under my dash with all the existing alarm/remote start and stereo wires.

SQ is the SQUAD
09-12-2002, 10:37 AM
wires are everywhere on my car. i placed my alarm box under my dricerss eat so when a theif goes to look for it they wont be able to find it, all they will se is a bunch of speaker wire. alot of times alarm boxes get ripped out by the plugs cuz they are right inde the dash. i taped all my wires up good with elictrical tape and zip ties to make it harder to be ripped out. my next project is to have a small back up battery that can handle the 12v power source in the case i het a theif who is smart enough to take the bettery terminals off. it will also help sine i got no door handles and rely on door poppers to get into my car. if i run my alarm to a back up battery, even if my car battery is dead or reomved my alarm will still work

smufguy
09-16-2002, 08:16 PM
if its what u really want get somethign that blocks the gas pedal and locks up ur wheels with the brakes. That would be fun. yeah he could like put trolly wheels under ur tires and move it but hey, he aint gonna be that desperate for a 3g when he could go for something else with his effort.

sanjay
09-16-2002, 10:48 PM
YEah but I'm worried they're gonna steal my beautiful sound system...
or my MAGs.....
:(

SQ is the SQUAD
11-15-2002, 10:55 PM
::bump::
alot of people need to read this thread

Cobraman15
11-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Lets face it the only effective alarm system is the james bond security system, where the guy breaks the car window and the whole car explodes :tongue:

premier89lxi
11-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Having installed dozens of alarms i can honestly say with all the accesories for alarms theres not much that cant be done. with all alarms we intall we recomend a batt. back up witch will alow your alam to go off for up to 5 min. if your power to the alarm is cut,and mini peizo sirens witch mount under your dash and have a extremly loud tone that a theif couldent stand if he was gonna try to get under there to unplug the alarm.there is pagers,glass break sen.,mercury switches(completes a circut if car is jacked up) prox sensers(creates a feild aroun the car that if broken will give warning then go off,if you stick your hand in the car it goes off instanly)and many more accesories it would take to long to list. my point is that with all the cool things you can do with an alarm its a no brainer to have one.Even if people dont pay attetion to them in a store parking lot i promise they will at 4:00 in the morning when it wakes them up. If you need help installing one i can help......on our cars its easy!!!!

juiquan
11-26-2002, 08:04 PM
any alarm systems that give off eletrical voltage?

catalin
11-26-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by juiquan
any alarm systems that give off eletrical voltage?

No, I'm pretty sure it's illegal.. Remember the laws sometime protect the criminals more than the honest people.

Check this out though..http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

AccordEpicenter
11-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Well, I live in suburbia hell, and weve had 3 (YES 3) radios ripped off in my dads Civic HB, and that was red and had dark window tint. They ripped off 2 JVC tape decks and a Sony cd player with no faceplate. The cd player was ripped off in broad daylight in the city, and the other 2 were ripped off right in my driveway. The car always had an alarm, but it never worked even though it was replaced 2x. I dont think most thieves care about alarms, theyll steal your stuff anyways or work around the alarm. I think you need to think about other stuff, like not having dark window tint or stuff like that, cuz everybody knows I have a loud system in my car, but it always locked and I dotn have dark window tint or car audio decals.

sanjay
11-30-2002, 05:35 AM
maybe accordepicenter has a marked car...
caitlin, that is one weird ass story..

89accordboi
11-30-2002, 11:01 AM
i'd get a car alarm if i had the money - i think its worth it because hondas are the #1 cars to be stolen cuz they are ez to break into and hotwire i guess

KWoodRacer
03-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Buy a car alarm. My old cavalier got broken into and they took the cd deck and all the speakers. I didn't even know this was happening because I did not have a alarm, and if you buy a alarm make sure it is a 2 way alarm so you can see what is happening to your car.