PDA

View Full Version : Paint Questions =)

Catalyst
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey Guys,
On Friday I am buying Forrest's Brand new hood, which I'm stoked about. I have a few questions regarding the appearance of the hood. Specifically about paint/ and clear coat. I want the hood Gloss Black, to add to my panda look. The hood comes a nice, Flat Black. My question is, can I make the hood a little more glossy If I just spray a high-gloss clear coat over the flat black? Would that work? Or would I have to repaint the hood with Gloss Black, and then a Gloss Clear Coat? If I only have to Spray a Clear coat, Do I have to get it professionally sprayed, or can I carefully use a spray can clear Coat? If that is the case, what kind of Clear should I get?
Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks Alot! Here are a few pics of that hood for a reference.
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3097/hood052mediumwl4.jpg
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9072/hood053mediumaq9.jpg

russiankid
03-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Don't use a rattle can clear coat. You will not get the clear coat spread on the hood evenly which will be noticeable after it dries. I think it's best to get it resprayed gloss black professionally as well as clear coat.

Civic Accord Honda
03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
i would have it done by the pros just to be safe

Catalyst
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. =) Maybe Ill take the plunge, and shell ot $200 to get it painted.

ghettogeddy
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
shit if ur gona have a pro do it u might as well take a shoot at it ur self u can go done to a auto parts store and get a cheap spray gun and use the real stuff ur self or even try a rattle can just do very light coats and dont worry if u dont cover it the first few times just stay like 2 feet away from the hood and spray very light coats

Catalyst
03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
shit if ur gona have a pro do it u might as well take a shoot at it ur self u can go done to a auto parts store and get a cheap spray gun and use the real stuff ur self or even try a rattle can just do very light coats and dont worry if u dont cover it the first few times just stay like 2 feet away from the hood and spray very light coats

hmm... by buddy's got a spray gun, and Ive got an air compressor, maybe ill just give it a shot myself. Thanks for the inspiration geddy! Im pretty decent at painting stuff, so who knows, may turn out good. I have a practice hood to practice on too :P

Can anybody give me a list of paints/chemicals I will need to paint this badboy Gloss Black? =) I have no idea what is needed. :/

Civic Accord Honda
03-19-2007, 07:58 PM
umm go to umm .. i cant think of the page ummm......... DAMNET i cant think of it .. oh yeah eastwood

Catalyst
03-19-2007, 08:04 PM
sweet ill check it out, thanks cah.

carotman
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
That black paint is just primer. Don't spray a clearcoat over it, it won't look good.

Just get it done by a pro and you'll be happy with the results. If the result isn't satisfying, you can ask the guy to respray it. If you buy the parts yourself, it's going to cost more and look half as good I'm pretty sure.

It shouldn't cost much to spray a brand new hood anyway.

Catalyst
03-19-2007, 08:45 PM
That black paint is just primer. Don't spray a clearcoat over it, it won't look good.

Just get it done by a pro and you'll be happy with the results. If the result isn't satisfying, you can ask the guy to respray it. If you buy the parts yourself, it's going to cost more and look half as good I'm pretty sure.

It shouldn't cost much to spray a brand new hood anyway.

Thanks for the advice! Local shops told me $500 to paint the hood, and headlight covers, and a few shops about 1hr away (macco & earl shieb) said about $200. This sound about right to you guys?

ghettogeddy
03-19-2007, 08:51 PM
not really i can go ans get my whole car sprayed at macco for like 400

forrest89sei
03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
WEEEE I looking forward to you picking it up on friday

ghettogeddy
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
hahahahahahaha forrest is finally gona meet someone off of 3geez

forrest89sei
03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
hahahahahahaha forrest is finally gona meet someone off of 3geez

yeah, well i talked to you on the phone before, so your 2nd closest. lol

ghettogeddy
03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
lol

Civic Accord Honda
03-19-2007, 09:27 PM
i met someone on here today :D

ghettogeddy
03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
your mom dosent count

2drSE-i
03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
DO NOT get any part of your car painted at maaco...i have seen maaco paintjobs blown off with an air compressor....they suck. honesly, i took at a whack at painting my fender with autozone rattle cans and a clear coat, and i was pretty damn pleased with the results. if you do LOTS of light coats, wetsand, apply the clear coat, and then use 3M Clearcoat safe Rubbing compound, i think youll be very happy.

Civic Accord Honda
03-19-2007, 10:28 PM
your mom dosent count
no i met the guy with the hatch today but he only posted here once he on redpeper racing more

ghettogeddy
03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
ya light fast strokes lol cah dont get any ideas lol

Civic Accord Honda
03-19-2007, 10:38 PM
ya light fast strokes lol cah dont get any ideas lol
DUDE I AM SURE HE IS NOT GOING TO WACK U

ROFL

MessyHonda
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
weee panda look

2oodoor
03-20-2007, 04:27 AM
We usually sand most of the black primer off that comes on new parts, then start back with builiding up of primer surfacer, then wet block that, seal, basecoat then clearcoat.

It is possible to get pro results from rattle cans, but you need to make sure your final coat is sprayed with a cans that have the nice nozzle on them that sprays a fan pattern. Keep it wet and tack it off good before you start.

Catalyst
03-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone! Im not sure what i'll do yet, Ill have to sleep on it. :P

BITESIZE
03-20-2007, 08:40 AM
I was going to buy that hood, I'm glad to see it going to a hatchie! Just shoot the hood with some clear coat and it will look awesome. I just bought a hood like this one off of ebay and it's still shiny for just primer.

Catalyst
03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I was going to buy that hood, I'm glad to see it going to a hatchie! Just shoot the hood with some clear coat and it will look awesome. I just bought a hood like this one off of ebay and it's still shiny for just primer.

Cool, thats probably what i'll end up doing. Who knows though, its a long ways till' friday. :P

forrest89sei
03-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Yep, bitesize would of had it if UPS were so gay!

Poor guy even sent me the funds via paypal.

But I'm looking forward to meeting a local member, also I have alot of ties to murphys!

the first 3gee I ever rode in was a 1986 Accord LX-i hatchback with a "i'd rather be in murphys" License plate frame.

Also We had 5 acres of land off of French Gulch Road, that we sold in 2005.

And my current 1986 Accord LX is from Arnold Ca.

LOL

Catalyst
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Yep, bitesize would of had it if UPS were so gay!
Poor guy even sent me the funds via paypal.
But I'm looking forward to meeting a local member, also I have alot of ties to murphys!
the first 3gee I ever rode in was a 1986 Accord LX-i hatchback with a "i'd rather be in murphys" License plate frame.
Also We had 5 acres of land off of French Gulch Road, that we sold in 2005.
And my current 1986 Accord LX is from Arnold Ca.
LOL

Awesome! I wonder if that hood could fit in my hatchie??? That would be cool if I could drive my 3gee so you can check it out! :P If not ill have to roll in the suburban, or Tacoma.

Civic Accord Honda
03-20-2007, 01:52 PM
just go there in your hatch and put the hood on there

Catalyst
03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
just go there in your hatch and put the hood on there

And do what with the old one? Rofl. I still need it.

Civic Accord Honda
03-20-2007, 02:22 PM
u could drive up there with out the hood on
ROCKCORD took his hood off

reanimator420
03-20-2007, 02:49 PM
i drove with no bumper for almost 3 months and no trouble for me

Catalyst
03-20-2007, 03:13 PM
i drove with no bumper for almost 3 months and no trouble for me
Rofl, I drove mine like this for 2 weeks, then i fixed it. :P
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/Supra1evan/my%20car/000_1318.jpg

anyways, to get back on topic, like carotman suggested, would it be a bad idea to get a professionally sprayed clear coat on top of that hood the way it is? Would it look really bad?

Catalyst
03-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Bumpity Bump.
- So ive decided to pain the hood ( and the headlight covers ) myself. I have the gun, the compressor, the time, and the garage. Now all I need to know, is what exactly i need to get. I plan to paint the 3 items Gloss Black. Ive heard that House Of Kolor paints are easy to use. Anyone every painted any car panels? I know you need more than just the primer / base coat paint / and clear coat. I know there are various chemicals involved... I just don't know what those chemicals are, what they do, or how/when i use them. So if any of you guys out there have a little bit of painting experience, and would like to help a noob out, It would be much appreciated!!

ps - When i rebuild the damaged front end of the car, I cant seem to remember if I had to remove the front bumper cover to remove the headlight covers... anyone know if I have to remove them or not? I think they are held on by 3 bolts, but its too dark to go check right now. :P

THANKS!

EDIT: Here is a picture of why I am replacing the hood, incase some of you didn't know. When i did the front end work, I bent it back into shape for the most part, and just sprayed some touch-up paint on it, but now the paint is coming off, and the damage just bothers me. :P Shes gotta be perfect!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/Supra1evan/my%20car/damage1.jpg

speedpenguin
03-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Wow yeah that sucks, good luck with the paint!