PDA

View Full Version : Restore oil additive, good or bad?

HondaBoy
03-24-2007, 06:16 PM
well i want to see if this stuff will give me something to go on with the low vacuum problem. the new carb didnt do anything for it. i was wondering if Restore was ok to use in the A20, i know some cars its not good due to small oil passages. anyone here used it? my friend used it in his suburban which still runs pretty well and his plymouth with mitsubishi 4 cylinder. that car is also still running. they both had similar problems as mine with low compression and vacuum.

AccordEpicenter
03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
its pretty worthless, save your money

Vanilla Sky
03-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I've heard many people say that there are two "magic" products they'll use. Engine Restore and Seafoam. I personally only have experience with Seafoam. I've wanted to try restore on an engine that I planned to rebuild, just to see what it would do, if anything.

Pico
03-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I've tried it and didnt notice any difference :(
Seafoam did make a difference on my old engine

ChaseR
03-25-2007, 04:09 PM
try Slick 50, if that doesn't work then nothing will... Its more of a preventative measure though.

HondaBoy
03-25-2007, 05:43 PM
well honing the cylinder wall and putting new rings would probably be the only thing. but yeah, i probably wont use it then. i liked Lucas oil addative when i used it. made for real nice start ups and smoother running conditions. i was really thinking about using it in my datsun, its got one low cylinder. but i never figured out exactly what it was. maybe i should before i go putting something like Restore in it. as for the accord, it happened to be a carburetor problem all along. what it was doing didnt lead me to think that though.

2oodoor
03-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Just for information purposes only
Restore works a little different than most 'snake oils' It actually fills voids and gaps and stays there. No it does not set up or harden, somehow it just hangs around after the oil have moved on.
Try this experiment if you get any, find an old fender or hood, top of an oil drum or something, and take a pick and scratch the hell outta the surface. Pour a bit of Restore and motor oil on it, wipe it around some, then wipe it all off with dry rag. Besides the oil film on the surface you look real close at the scratches and you will see the blue restore stuff hanging in there.. in the scratched areas...the only way you can get it off is with solvent.
Wierd stuff

:eatarrow:

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I might have to give Restore a shot before I rebuild my motor. Might buy me enough time to build one of my spares.

Pico
03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Just for information purposes only
Restore works a little different than most 'snake oils' It actually fills voids and gaps and stays there. No it does not set up or harden, somehow it just hangs around after the oil have moved on.
Try this experiment if you get any, find an old fender or hood, top of an oil drum or something, and take a pick and scratch the hell outta the surface. Pour a bit of Restore and motor oil on it, wipe it around some, then wipe it all off with dry rag. Besides the oil film on the surface you look real close at the scratches and you will see the blue restore stuff hanging in there.. in the scratched areas...the only way you can get it off is with solvent.
Wierd stuff
:eatarrow:
Thanks roodoo I'm going to try some in my Acura to see what happens.

2oodoor
03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
OK I am not pushing the stuff, just explaining how it works !!!

JUst make sure and read the can and follow the directions exactly. And even if your using oil, you still need to change it.( and filter) Some nasty stuff starts to gather in the oil pan if you just keep adding oil.
Contrary to myth, you are not instantley changing the oil just because you add a quart every week or how ever too often you having to add it.:)

stay on the course and you may start to see a decline in oil consumption, and improvement in performance

Pico
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Still worth a try if it clings to metal like that, I've got over 220,000 on my Legend can't hurt to try

russiankid
03-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Still worth a try if it clings to metal like that, I've got over 220,000 on my Legend can't hurt to try
You can always rebuild the Legend as well:thumbup:

Pico
03-29-2007, 12:46 PM
You can always rebuild the Legend as well:thumbup:
I would but I have no more $$$$$$ :(

russiankid
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I would but I have no more $$$$$$ :(
:thumbdn: Well at least you got a rebuilt engine. Anyways i never knew this engine restorer actually worked this way.