PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnose vacuum and driveability problem

HondaBoy
03-24-2007, 07:50 PM
ok well i'm having some more trouble. vacuum is great now that i've moved the vacuum gauge from inside the car to the engine compartment. so its reading 20-22 inches at idle and fluctuate between there. as the throttal plate is opened it loses all vacuum on the gauge and will then flood until it has been fully closed again or full open WOT. the exhaust isnt smoking, oil and coolant are fine and not mixing. i'm thinking it could be a few things. incorrect valve timing, valves need adjustment, or rings need replacement. but there i dont know since i need to do a compression test to verify that. i tried to see if squirting oil in the cylinder would help, but none of them improved when doing so. maybe that only works for a compression test? anyways, i think i'm going to try looking at the valve timing tomorrow and see if its off any. its not really driveable, once i get on the gas even a slight bit, it wants to die around 3000 rpms at most, but will improve if fully floored and rev up.

HondaBoy
03-25-2007, 10:55 AM
ok, today so far i have taken the exhaust loose to see if maybe the catalytic converter was clogged or melted. its fine and not the cause of this problem. here's what will happen. when the choke is closed fully to half way, the engine will rev normally. when the choke is fully opened, it idles fine but will want to die as soon as the throttal is opened. there is a sufficent amount of fuel going in also. and still vacuum will drop off right as the throttal is opened, doesnt have to be fully opened either.

HondaBoy
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
ok, so i've been looking at everything. found the primary venturi was loose! it wasnt when i put the carb in the car, but i guess that screw came loose. decided to go ahead and take both venturis out and put new O rings. fixed the problem. must have been the same thing on my other carb as well because it did almost the same shit.