PDA

View Full Version : What to do after a failed fuel filter?

visionguru
03-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Today, I replaced the main fuel filter of my 89 DX carb, for the purpose to diagnosis of a problem. I found that the filtration element has dropped to the bottom of the filter, which means the gas will pass through without having to pass the filter.

My question is: After running the unfiltered gas for a while (well, there is still a small filter), what needs to be done to eliminate this effect?

I'm planning to replace the aux fuel filter too, but what else? carb cleaner?

Thanks for any suggestions,

russiankid
03-25-2007, 10:49 AM
That secondary filter probably filtered out what the main one didn't. Carb cleaner would help.

Vanilla Sky
03-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I would dump a whole bottle of Seafoam into your fuel tank myself. I'd do it with less than half of a tank and drive about 50 miles mixed, then top off my tank with regular unleaded from a decent gas station.

The downside is that you may end up clogging your new filters with stuff that was broken up by the Seafoam. Your call.

ghettogeddy
03-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I would dump a whole bottle of Seafoam into your fuel tank myself. I'd do it with less than half of a tank and drive about 50 miles mixed, then top off my tank with regular unleaded from a decent gas station.
The downside is that you may end up clogging your new filters with stuff that was broken up by the Seafoam. Your call.
now if u were to do that wouldn't it smoke the whole time

ZackieDarko
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
now if u were to do that wouldn't it smoke the whole time

he can just say its his VTEK kickin in

Vanilla Sky
03-25-2007, 03:56 PM
A little. Not as much as Seafoam through the brake line or carb.

ghettogeddy
03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
well im thinking about doing the seafoam thing soon and was trying to figure the best way to do it with minimal smoke lol

frantik
03-25-2007, 04:28 PM
lol every time someone uses seafoam here all you hear about is how weird new problems show up

forrest89sei
03-25-2007, 04:32 PM
well im thinking about doing the seafoam thing soon and was trying to figure the best way to do it with minimal smoke lol

Do it at a vacant place @ like 12AM , lol

when I ran it, Only pouring in the carb, it smoked for like 50 mins.

MessyHonda
03-25-2007, 07:43 PM
lol every time someone uses seafoam here all you hear about is how weird new problems show up

yeah....oil pan leaks....EGR clogged....pcv valve also clogged.....seafoam is for car with less than 100k miles....so thats why i went easy on it...like 1/4th bottle...next time im breaking it in instead of trying to rush and messing stuff up later down the road

Vanilla Sky
03-25-2007, 08:26 PM
You guys need to remember what Seafoam does. It cleans crap. In some cases, it will loosen it, and the crap will get stuck somewhere else. I've had zero problems with Seafoam. I use it sparingly in the crankcase. I never use more than about 4 ounces in the crankcase.

I'm not going to turn this into a pros or cons of Seafoam thread, though. Any and all "magic" fixes have problems, and clogging parts with loosened crap is one of Seafoam's problems.

ghettogeddy
03-25-2007, 08:31 PM
im thinking of just using it in the fuel system