PDA

View Full Version : tensioner

Fuzy Navel
03-26-2007, 03:57 AM
Hey, Not sure what is wrong but have idea... Ok I thought I had maybe a road bearing going out or something But i changed the oil, oil filter and put thicker oil in... Didnt help any. Thought maybe it was Water pump because it was the orignal one that came from honda so I changed it.... Didnt work What it is, is a really annoying clicking noise around 2,000 and up it wasent really bad at first and it only happened when the car get warmed up so i figure oil or antifreeze.... Well now it does it alittle bit right at car start then when the car gets fully warmed up it is really bad and loud clicking noise in any gear parked or not parked... and when I drive and let go of the gas it just under idles and trys to die and then dies if I don't add any gas... So I have honda book and 2 other people telling me most likely timing belt tensioner.... What do you think? The sound comes from under the intake manny as far as i can tell but it also echos because it comes from the belt system too..

Oh and I have brand new water pump, Alternator, and no belt on Air conditoner and its not the power steering pump already tested that

Tomisimo
03-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Hey, Not sure what is wrong but have idea... Ok I thought I had maybe a road bearing going out or something But i changed the oil, oil filter and put thicker oil in... Didnt help any. Thought maybe it was Water pump because it was the orignal one that came from honda so I changed it.... Didnt work What it is, is a really annoying clicking noise around 2,000 and up it wasent really bad at first and it only happened when the car get warmed up so i figure oil or antifreeze.... Well now it does it alittle bit right at car start then when the car gets fully warmed up it is really bad and loud clicking noise in any gear parked or not parked... and when I drive and let go of the gas it just under idles and trys to die and then dies if I don't add any gas... So I have honda book and 2 other people telling me most likely timing belt tensioner.... What do you think? The sound comes from under the intake manny as far as i can tell but it also echos because it comes from the belt system too..
Oh and I have brand new water pump, Alternator, and no belt on Air conditoner and its not the power steering pump already tested that

Looks like you have valve lifters thet endind theres life. Check on them.

azazel_18_2
03-26-2007, 05:23 AM
What lifters? These engines do not have lifters. The rockers run off the cam and straight on top of the valve. The noise could be alot of things. It is possible it could be the t-belt tensioner but it may not be. How many miles are on the car? How many miles since t-belt and tensioner change? Is it a clicking or more like a knocking? Clicking could be valve adjustment. I would do that first because it won't cost you anything besides a valve cover gasket. Do not reuse the old one. It will leak!

gp02a0083
03-26-2007, 09:24 AM
mine is doing something simmilar , i adjusted the valves once but now i hear the sound every now and then, i probally just need to do a re-adjustment

Fuzy Navel
03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
well i just got done tearing part of the car down my tensioner i believe is fine but i couldnt get my crankshaft bolt off but a friend let me borrow a impact so im gonna try again tommrow but i was able to get my hand on the oil pump and i turned it and it didnt turn very good and kinda felt like it was grinding.... But it makes a knocking noise from 2,000 and up and then when it is fully warmed up it makes a knocking noise 1,000 and up and its getting worse everytime i drive it... I really think its the oil pump oh and it has freakin 266,660 miles

HondaBoy
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
i would really have to say do not ever use an impact gun on the crankshaft pully bolt unless you are going to replace the crankshaft. a great deal of damage can be caused by the hammering action of the impact gun. this being said in repair books, in my text books and by my instructors. so just to let you know.

Oldblueaccord
03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Well its kinda late but if you had it together i would have said spray something like wd40 on the tensioner while its running and see if it smooths out.

If your think the oil pumps bad change it out since you got it torn down already.

Other thing to do is take the valve cover off and see if anything up top is broken like a valve spring, The stalling when you let off the gas bothers me.

wp

Honda boys right i think thats why my tensioner came off I used an impact several times to get it off. Im not sure how else it can be done if it stuck.

Fuzy Navel
03-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Here is exactly what the clicking noise sounds like..I hope its the same way in your cars and not just mine but Anyways you know when in manual tranny that when you release the clutch to soon like from 1st and don't add gas in time and it starts to die or makes a really bad like clunking rod bearing screw driving in timing belt really nasty sound... that is exactly what mine sounds like and the sound is in the bottum end and when you take off the oil cap i hear no noises other than motor its self and i took off valve cover and ran it and made alittle mess with the oil lol but looks and sounds fine

2oodoor
03-27-2007, 06:16 AM
wierd
I use cordless battery type impact to remove crank pulley bolts, not so strong as to do any harm but strong enough to do the job.

sound- it appears you are describing a preignition sound, which could be carbon on top of piston, head gasket ( fluid of some sort leaking into the CC) valve timing off. damaged spark plug
Other things could be throw out bearing in clutch, starter gear hanging out and not retracting fully

sound file did not go thru btw