PDA

View Full Version : 89 LX starting problems, I need advice

ds650
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi all.
This has been going on for quite awhile so I'll give you some background.

First what started to happen was my 89 5speed would start & then die instantly, I'd restart & drive off. Then it might start & die instantly 2 or 3 times. The day it happened 20 plus times before it would stay running I decided to have it checked. They said it was just bad gas. I drove it for about 3 days & it was fine. Then it started to do it again except Once I went to start it & NOTHING. No starter click or anything. I tried about 5 times & called a friend. When he picked up I tried it again & it fired just fine. I checked the obvious: battery, connections, cables. So I took it to a different repair shop and they had it 3 weeks and said it started right everytime & didn't know what was wrong. (They said it wasn't the ignitor tho, that was my guess) I brought it home & of course its doing it again. It will start & die, then sometime nothing at all, try it later & it starts fine.

Any ideas? I'm frustrated, dont have time to mess with it but miss driving my $650 Honda!

Thanks guys

BITESIZE
03-26-2007, 03:42 PM
carb or f.i?

ds650
03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
carb. Aren't all LX's carb?

HondaBoy
03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
yeah, LX = carbureted. so anyways, sounds like it could be a carb problem of some sort and all the excessive starting could have killed the battery or lowered its voltage enough that it hasnt had a chance to recharge. that'd be my guess.

ds650
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
No I dont think so, the battery seems fine. Checks fine & really cranks quite awhile if I have too.

russiankid
03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
How about your alternator? Maybe it could be on its last leg.

Estimated Prophet
03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I find it odd that in 3 weeks at a shop it starts fine and you bring it home to the same problem. Very very odd.

As for the bad gas diagnosis: What did they do, if anything, to make it ok for 3 days?

Checked all relays/fuses?

Oldblueaccord
03-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Check and see if you have spark at the plug wires next time it does it.

Need spark ,fuel, and in time remember. Im wondering if the igniton switch is going bad maybe or the main relay if carbs have one.

wp

Blkblurr
03-27-2007, 06:52 AM
It's most likely the contact block on the ignition switch. It is failing and needs to be worked on or replaced. It's very easy to do.

Vanilla Sky
03-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Sounds either like your ignition switch or your fuel cutoff relay. Another possibility is a bad connection at your coil.

ds650
03-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure if it was the ignition switch myself. Not sure if there is a way to check it? Do most guys replace it with any cheap brand & use two seperate keys for the door & ignition or get a VIN coded replacement?

ds650
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
It looks like my switch is rivited to the column. Is that how it came? That seems very unhandy.

Vanilla Sky
03-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I *think* they are all bolted to the column with breakaway-head bolts.

ds650
03-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Well even tho my key lock looks corroded some (blue dust) I took the electric wire harness off the back & looked at the contacts others talk about. Mine were dirty & wore so I may try a new one just so I know for sure its not that. Rockauto has them for $44 to $56

Vanilla Sky
03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
That's what will need replacement. I have a used one that I'd let go for $20 shipped, but it's a used piece. The best I can do is test it to know that it works when it ships.

If that's something you'd be interested in, PM me.

Blkblurr
03-28-2007, 04:30 AM
You can remove the contact block without removing the key lock portion of the switch. I would buy a Honda one myself. No offbrand for hte switch. You can also take the contact block apart and clean the contacts as well. Someone on here recently did that and posted some info on it.