PDA

View Full Version : Possible B18a swap..

87roach
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi everyone im a new poster around here, have been reading for about a year and I really must say this site is excellent! Everyone has awesome cars!! I have an 87 hatch s thats carbed, im not sure which model it is.. im looking to start spending some money so I have been reading and researching and whatnot for the past while about swaps, suspension, and alot inbetween. Anyhow I was at this somewhat local J/Y today and was asking about a b16, and the only one hes got is a 1990, RS Integra B18a DOHC EFI 5-Speed, I wrote down the vin and then decoded it when I got home. I wasn't really able to look at the engine too much due to the front end being sweezed pretty close to it(reason for it being in the junker). He said it was running fine(of course), it has 217000km on her the oil looks pretty good, not caramel.. but a little dark. Grabs all the gears.. and for the whole swap he said it would cost 1000$ CAD, so thats engine, tranny, axels, harness, ecu and whatever else.. I was going to take pics but forgot the camera(but I will go back if it seems ok and give you guys a better look). Oh and the distributers gone, but thats all. So what do you guys think? What should I be looking for when I scan these motors? It wasn't too dirty looked like it burned a bit of oil and regular wear. Oh and im guessing this is the motor, its got a black valve cover if that will tell anything..
Engine code: B18A1
valvetrain: 4 valves per cylinder, belt-driven, dual overhead camshafts
Horsepower (hp), SAE net: 130@ 6000RPM
Torque (lbs-ft), SAE net: 126 @ 5000RPM
Redline: 6500 RPM
Bore X Stroke: 81mm x 89mm (3.19 in x 3.50 in)
Displacement: 1834cc (112 cu in)
Compression Ratio: 9.2:1
Ignition System: Electronic ignition
These motors are probably pretty comon(as far as I can tell), but tell me what you think.

Vanilla Sky
03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
This isn't the JDM Accord engine. You'd have to fabricate mounts, and shift linkages, and frankenstein some axles to make it work. Since your engine is carbed, you'd either have to swap to fuel injection, or use an aftermarket carb. Something like Weber DCOEs would do nicely.

hotdoghogie
03-27-2007, 05:31 PM
ya man its possible u just gotta do way more research and learn just bout everything b4 u can really do anything...

i would snathc that engine to have...

u can always get a older civic and motor swap it

MessyHonda
03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
if you are going thru the pain on swaping it ....i would get a better engine on it...i mean our carb cars only put out 98 hp....and for 32 more hp...you are going to spend close to 3k on it. i would just get some bolt ons for the car right now.....you should be putting out the same hp numbers with out getting custom mounts made. it wont be an easy swap but it has been done b4

87roach
03-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Hmm you do make a good point, I was planning to rebuild(whichever engine I end up getting). Now which engine would you recommend(messyhonda) for a swap that I could put some money into and get some decent numbers out of it? I don't imagine I will be able to find a B20a or any GSR's around here(although perhaps... just not really counting on it so im looking for a more common one).

ZackieDarko
03-28-2007, 03:02 AM
lol $1000 for a shity RS LS swap? and it doesn't have a dist? offer him $700 cash

hotdoghogie
03-28-2007, 01:02 PM
hmmm carbed... go spend about 1500$ in head work and then go on ebay and get some gsr itb's (individual throttle bodies), cams, and exhaust and man... u will be keping up with lots of cars...

Legend_master
03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
hmmm carbed... go spend about 1500$ in head work and then go on ebay and get some gsr itb's (individual throttle bodies), cams, and exhaust and man... u will be keping up with lots of cars...

Yeah, that doesnt sound like a good plan for an inexperienced car person or even for anybody looking to get decent power. ITB's are a bitch to work on and really should only be used by a person with experience in car tuning. First thing you should do 87roach is rebuild the a20 and covert to PGMfi. After that start piecing together a turbo kit, or do the regular intake, exhaust, and a cam.

87roach
03-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Hmm, yea Legend I didn't really think about that because I figured I would probably spend the same amount(and more) in getting a b series in there. Although working on the current engine and converting to fi sounds like a good project to start with(im not really new to auto, I have done a few swaps but it was just motor in motor out.. nothing too extensive). Now in rebuilding my a20 I would assume I would need new pistons, rods, head(+ work)? and whatever else work would be needed to run a turbo(down the line) so I could do everything at once instead of pulling the engine multiple times to add this or that, know what I mean. I'm not trying to avoid pulling it I know I will have to, I just would like to do as much as possible the first time around.

Legend_master
03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Hmm, yea Legend I didn't really think about that because I figured I would probably spend the same amount(and more) in getting a b series in there. Although working on the current engine and converting to fi sounds like a good project to start with(im not really new to auto, I have done a few swaps but it was just motor in motor out.. nothing too extensive). Now in rebuilding my a20 I would assume I would need new pistons, rods, head(+ work)? and whatever else work would be needed to run a turbo(down the line) so I could do everything at once instead of pulling the engine multiple times to add this or that, know what I mean. I'm not trying to avoid pulling it I know I will have to, I just would like to do as much as possible the first time around.

It all depends on how much power you want. If you just want to run 10LB of boost or so, then you could reuse the same rods and piston (if they are in good condition and you dont have to rehone the block to much). You could reuse the same head, but I would rebuild it with an upgraded cam. If you are planning on running more boost then replacing the rods and pistons with stronger ones would be recommended. You will still have the weak link of the head gasket, there are none available that are great for a high boosting turbo application on the a20.

Tomisimo
03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
If you serios about the B18 swap, then whi dont go for a Vtec? To go thrue so much fabrication just to swap a engine, or you can use thet one as a mock up engine.

MessyHonda
03-30-2007, 10:03 PM
If you serios about the B18 swap, then whi dont go for a Vtec? To go thrue so much fabrication just to swap a engine, or you can use thet one as a mock up engine.

he can always swap the head with a b18 v-tec head....and just run a wire harness....plus v-tec is not like MAD power....even a well build non v-tec engine could keep up with one.

Tomisimo
03-31-2007, 06:18 AM
I see...

87roach
03-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I will keep looking around for an engine.. perhaps I will find something good to work with. As for now I will try to get some upgrades going on(like such stock things on the lx like power mirrors that I didn't get :( ) I will ask again if I find a good deal to see what you guys think!