PDA

View Full Version : 91 si crx..now what

87accordHB
03-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Ok so I have a 91 crx. I am thinking of doing an engine swap. of course. I have a DA integra sitting at home that is totaled. driver side damage. anyways. Im not too familiar with the honda swaps for crxs, civics, tegs and so on. But I was told there is a swap out there that would hang or even eat the 02 si civics. Something like a b18c with a b16 head or something like that. I was a vtec swap but dont know where to start. Anyone got any information concerning popular or mean/nasty engine swaps for the crx? I dont want to keep it under a grand. Would the engine out of a DA teg be a good easy swap? I want to boost this crx down the road also. HELP PLEASE! :)

shepherd79
03-28-2007, 08:38 AM
I know Vtec engines are nice, but i like old LS teg engines.
with proper tunning and engine build you can make huge power gains on a budget.
crx is light as hell so even with B16 engine it will fly down the road.
I say drop LS engine first. run it. get all the kinks out of the electrical and so on and on.
after that you may want to add turbo.

mkymonkey
03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
you want to have a beast under a grand....damn what a dream

good luck though

MessyHonda
03-28-2007, 08:55 AM
well the crx should have some sort of mount kit and if you have the engine just swap it in.....it should be fast since the crx are light.

Chef Boyardee
03-28-2007, 09:04 AM
If you're looking to go cheap, I'd say just do a mini-me build up on a sohc engine. My friend and I just got done building his engine/putting it in, and untuned they said it made about 180 to the wheels. Granted, its completely worked/ported from the block up, and has a ghetto rigged turbo setup using only parts found on ebay haha.

Oh, and my same friend had an integra with an old dohc D-series engine that had cams and a turbo that made just over 200 horsepower.

Thats my .02 cents.

ZackieDarko
03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
i say just go balls out

K24/K20 hybrid

Chef Boyardee
03-28-2007, 09:23 AM
i say just go balls out
K24/K20 hybrid

Funny thing is, I was looking at prices for those out of curiosity, and you can get an rb26dett from a Skyline cheaper than a K series Honda motor, in most instances. I'm not saying throw an rb26 in a crx, just rambling I guess.

Legend_master
03-28-2007, 09:25 AM
The K-series is not going to happen for less then a grand. i say do the LS swap, it is very cheap and simple. If the motor is in good condition then you should be able to hang or beat the 02 civic. You can also swap over the bigger brakes from that teg onto your CRX. Use the search function over at Honda-tech.com to get all the info you need.

hotdoghogie
03-28-2007, 12:58 PM
The K-series is not going to happen for less then a grand. i say do the LS swap, it is very cheap and simple. If the motor is in good condition then you should be able to hang or beat the 02 civic. You can also swap over the bigger brakes from that teg onto your CRX. Use the search function over at Honda-tech.com to get all the info you need.

what he said

1 grand... well i know for a fact... u can make a nice car for cheap... i did... but the thing is... it takes time and lots of meeting new ppl

Versanick
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
My friend has an ef civic (non-crx, regular civic hatch) with an LS motor that he had to rebuild (raised comp. a bit), he got an eBay header, a cheap bigger exhaust (with a $20 Thrush Turbo muffler, available at Advance auto), and open throttle body (sometimes he uses the eBay LS intake, doesn't matter).

Feels like 160++hp. Feels like a turbo car. The LS motor is fine. Just ebay header it, cheap exhaust, and intake. You'll be smoking lots of way faster cars. Stock RSX-S, no problem. You'll be booking.

snoopyloopy
03-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok so I have a 91 crx. I am thinking of doing an engine swap. of course. I have a DA integra sitting at home that is totaled. driver side damage. anyways. Im not too familiar with the honda swaps for crxs, civics, tegs and so on. But I was told there is a swap out there that would hang or even eat the 02 si civics. Something like a b18c with a b16 head or something like that. I was a vtec swap but dont know where to start. Anyone got any information concerning popular or mean/nasty engine swaps for the crx? I dont want to keep it under a grand. Would the engine out of a DA teg be a good easy swap? I want to boost this crx down the road also. HELP PLEASE! :)
if you have the da teg and the engine is good, go ahead and swap it over. mounts + axles + linkage will be about a grand. and since you said you plan to go turbo at some point, the lack of vtec won't be a big deal. that right there sounds like the best bet to me.
of course, there are plenty of other swaps that'll get you to hang with the ep3. a b18c1 (gsr) or b18c5 (itr) swap will get you an engine that makes either 180 or 195 hp. that there is already at least 20 over the 160 hp stock out of the si. and then in your lighter car, you'll easily smoke them. if you do the b18a from your da into the crx for awhile first, some may call it a waste of money. but you can save up for the vtec engines which will then bolt straight in since you already had a b-swap. you can even just find a vtec head and, despite what diego will tell you, :eek: slap it on the b18a block and build an ls/vtec. if luck is with you, it'll have a similar power output of a b18c1.
of course, if you have the cash, you can do a k20/24 hybrid (turbo if you dare...) and smoke most any car out there, even evo's and sti's with a moderate mods.

87accordHB
03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
you guys kick ass. lol. the k20/24 hybrid is a joke. lol. I aint gonna do all that. I lowered my crx today in the front, its about 4 inches off the ground. something is hella wrong on the passenger side because it shakes, I ran out of daylight so ill fix that tomorrow. Anyways. I just got a 95 prelude with the h23a in it. Runs great. Ever heard of the h23a swap? I got the whole car for 400 bucks lol. I want to start off with a ls vtec swap. Cant I just use the h23 with a vtech head? I am going to learn this honda stuff lol. Nissans are my fortay, Also. will the 89 civic hatch exhaust work on my crx? Thank you guys for all your help. Ill put a 3geez sticker on my crx. lol

hotdoghogie
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
h23a's are amazing engines... i just herd on here their compairable to a k20

87accordHB
03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
WHAT? wow...whats a k20? that is an rsx-s right? Are the h23a swapable with the crx?

87accordHB
03-28-2007, 08:04 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pa8dc30a68f5ef89af2b9106f9c6f2e4f/ea24f93b.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p5ea57401448073b6285405095fa2041c/ea24f937.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p354951efe7184ca23e2e5270f4cd2af1/ea24f935.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pf6f63874a3482ca2d25333542d0d1900/ea24f933.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pe5157e52abe9c7044b0f59c9aaca2849/ea24f92f.jpg

87accordHB
03-28-2007, 08:05 PM
here are some pics I took tonight.

MessyHonda
03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
h23a's are amazing engines... i just herd on here their compairable to a k20

you only had your car 3 days and you still think you can smoke anything.....dont listen to this guy....

the h23 is just a stroked f22b. it puts out 160hp and 163tq and the redline is 6500.

the k20 that came in the rsx s-type puts out 201hp....and its a more race-orientated engine...that will smoke alot of cars. it has a 8500 redline

87accordHB
03-29-2007, 05:14 AM
so you wouldnt recomment the h23a? What do the b18c/b18b run for now adays?

snoopyloopy
03-29-2007, 06:56 AM
yes, you can do the h23a swap and slap a vtec head on there. or you can grab the real h23 vtec, but that'll be a pretty penny as they are pretty rare. but a word about any h22/h23 swap or the f20b vtec. they all tend end up nose-heavy car in the 4g civic chassis. so most people, including me, will tell you that unless you're interested mostly in drag only, don't do it. it'll turn like ass. if you don't mind that, then go ahead and go for it because they do make pretty good power with loads of torque to back it up. and the h23 block is reportedly the strongest one for boost. but the h-series swap will probably be the more expensive because the h-series is physically a relatively tall engine as well.
again, i'll will say that my suggestion to you is this: do the damn b-series. iyou have that totalled da teg that has a good engine, then buy the hasport mount kit, which will be ~$1000. the engine will bolt right in with the kit and it makes way more power than that stock one you have with more potential. the engine out of the da teg is a b18a aka an ls engine. you can also buy a vtec head and bolt it on and you'll have yourself an ls/vtec. legend_master has one of those. or if you want vtec the proper way, you can buy a b16a/b16b/b18c1/b18c5 and put it in. so to sum up my position--b18a out your teg + hasport mount kit.
you can also try the k-series swap. still relatively new and in it's infancy compared to the b-series or even h-series, the k-series is already showing way more promise in terms of possible power because they flow more. you can get k20a2 out of 02-04 rsx-s or k20z1 out of 05-06 rsx-s. those are your best usdm bet. however, you can find a base rsx k20 block or crv/accord k24 block for pretty cheap and just put the type-s or type-r head on it. that's can be done for less than $3000. however, a k-series into the 4g civic chassis is even worse than the h-series. while the h-series is tall, the k-series is a giant, and is even taller if you do a k24 block. they usually sit at least an inch above the hoodline. however, i don't know too much about the weights of the engines. they may be heavier than the h-series, maybe not. but one thing about a k-swap is that everything is reversed and they have a whole bunch of other things done to them. so while the engine price itself could be comparable to an itr swap, everything else you'll have to do to the car will run you a big bill. don't be afraid to fork over around $8000 for that swap. if you can afford it, go for it. you'll smile every time you drive it. but it's really only for an all-out fast car imo.

87accordHB
03-29-2007, 08:21 AM
yeh 8000 is outta my price range lol. To drop the 93 no vtech engine into my crx, i need those engine mounts, and they run about $1000. and it will bolt right in? What about the wiring? it would be cheaper to do a ZC swap lol. But I was the Vtec.

Legend_master
03-29-2007, 08:28 AM
yeh 8000 is outta my price range lol. To drop the 93 no vtech engine into my crx, i need those engine mounts, and they run about $1000. and it will bolt right in? What about the wiring? it would be cheaper to do a ZC swap lol. But I was the Vtec.

Im telling you go search hond tech, I belive you can use the factory LS mounts. You have to get a certain rear mount bracket, but thats only $50 or so. There is a certain set of axles that work aswell.

88accordhb
03-29-2007, 09:54 AM
my user name > yours

anyways, you should buy a bicycle, then when the 02 civic isn't looking, tie a rope to the back of it and to your bike handle. you should be able to hang no problem. PUN!

Legend_master
03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
my user name > yours

anyways, you should buy a bicycle, then when the 02 civic isn't looking, tie a rope to the back of it and to your bike handle. you should be able to hang no problem. PUN!

When I first saw his name under the thread I thought CT got a CRX, then I relized it wasent the same :lol: .

87accordHB
03-29-2007, 06:57 PM
yeh i seen that awhile go lol.

blazin3gen
03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
LS vtec yo!

i miss my crx man :(

87accordHB
03-30-2007, 08:00 AM
im thinking LS vtec also then later on a b18c

hotdoghogie
03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
you only had your car 3 days and you still think you can smoke anything.....dont listen to this guy....
the h23 is just a stroked f22b. it puts out 160hp and 163tq and the redline is 6500.
the k20 that came in the rsx s-type puts out 201hp....and its a more race-orientated engine...that will smoke alot of cars. it has a 8500 redline

oops... i cant listen to anyone on here no more... false facts make me look dumb!

i knew a h23 wasnt that fast

and wtf i dont think my car is fast u ass...lol... i have driven plenty faster cars...

it just amazes me how much faster a 4cyl could be compaired to my accord