PDA

View Full Version : rear view mirror mount: why can't the germans learn from Japan?

w261w261
03-28-2007, 03:00 PM
One of my other cars is a 2004 Passat. After 2+ years, the &%$#@*& rear view mirror is loose on it's ball mount, and the VW dealer says the only thing to do is buy another complete mirror unit ("oh yeah, they all fail within a couple of years"). I love the Passat, or rather my wife does, but you'd think they could build a mirror that wouldn't fail.

Anyway, the mirror itself is mounted on a ball, via a set of plastic tabs (kind of like if you would take your fingers and wrap them around a tennis ball). The friction between the "fingers" and the ball has gone away, and the whole ball/finger assembly is recessed, so for instance, you just can't wrap a hose clamp around it and tighten it down. I was thinking of dripping some epoxy into the assembly, then continue to work it as the epoxy dries, maybe that would gum it up enough to give me some friction. But it might just glue the mirror in place, and then there'd be no adjustability.

What I think I need is some kind of stuff that would stay sticky, but that would be thin enough to get into the space. Gasket sealer comes to mind, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be too thick. Anyone have ideas? Thx.

LX-incredible
03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
The japs haven't mastered the mirror either, I'm on my third one. That 3M adhesive spray might work if you can get a tube on the nozzle.

w261w261
03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I've got a can of that stuff in the closet. I'll give it a try. Thx.

MessyHonda
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
The japs haven't mastered the mirror either, I'm on my third one. That 3M adhesive spray might work if you can get a tube on the nozzle.

mine works fine i just hate how it vibrates when the sub is on...i have a parking permit on it...and only 1 10 inch 300watt kicker sub makes the whole thing shake

Estimated Prophet
03-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I work at a Honda yard and we just started carrying BMWs. Trust me, there are LOTS of things the Germans could learn from Japan.

lostforawhile
03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
i've said it before i'll say it again, get a morror mount tab at the autoparts store with the glue,center it up on the windshield,glue it down,and go out and find another nice mirror out of something at the junkyard. I got rid of my overhead mirror years ago, haven't had a problem with the glass mounted one yet. just make sure and get a quality kit with decent glue. make a mark on the outside of the windshield where you want the mirror to go, clean the inside of the glass and the mirror shoe very well with alcohol,put the primer part on BOTH the glass area and the back of the mirror shoe,the instructions won't tell you that part, put a drop of glue on the back of the mirror shoe and press it in place,for usually a couple of minutes. now don't put the mirror on right away,let the tab set up for a while,follow the directions on how much time,now mount the mirror. very easy. and you've gotten rid of your pesky overhead mirror. the same mirror shoe will fit virtually any glass mount mirror ever made.

w261w261
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Just to finish off this thread, I gave it a good shot with spray adhesive, and let it sit for a few minutes before messing with it. It helped a little, but needed more. The next day I sprayed it again and let it sit for a day. Now it's perfect. Much better than the VW dealer's $240 new part fix.

mike10562004
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
damn speaking of mirrors mine raddles at a pure idle but im idleing at 2.5k so that might be th prob anyways its getting on my nurves

AccordEpicenter
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
japan learned what NOT to do from germany. The germans decided to put cars together in the most ass backward, convoluted and bizzare manner ive ever seen

lostforawhile
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
japan learned what NOT to do from germany. The germans decided to put cars together in the most ass backward, convoluted and bizzare manner ive ever seenso THATS where the folks at honda learned how to build carburators!

LX-incredible
05-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Just to finish off this thread, I gave it a good shot with spray adhesive, and let it sit for a few minutes before messing with it. It helped a little, but needed more. The next day I sprayed it again and let it sit for a day. Now it's perfect. Much better than the VW dealer's $240 new part fix.
Glad I could help, works pretty well doesn't it.

A20A1
05-17-2007, 02:28 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/gmmC00004.jpg

only pic I have but I replaced mine with a window mounted one too and it worked great and added a bit more mirror width I think over the stock one... next time I may place the mirror more on the passenger side of the car.