PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam

Estimated Prophet
03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Based off recommendations on this forum I purchased a can of Sea Foam. What I need to know is what is the best method to clean my throttle body and intake manifold? The can mentions(well it didn't say it, it is written on there...) using the PCV valve. Anyone have any tips on going about this?

MessyHonda
03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
well take out the air pipe and just spray it into the tb...you can also put it in the break boster so it clean out your intake.

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
with our throttle bodies, you need to buy a different product by Seafoam called "Deep Creep." It's essentially Seafoam in an aresol can.

Blizzard
03-29-2007, 08:35 PM
As far as cleaning the TB. I usually take the air cleaner off and wipe it down with some intake cleaner. Deep Creep works well for this as Vanilla mentioned.
The stuff you got should work on the IM. I just let it suck it through a vac line.
It will try to stumble a little. Just work the throttle with your hand, find a place to set the can.
People say it eats vac hose, Ive never seen that happen though. But just to be on the safe side you could use some extra vac line if you have any laying around.

Do it in a place where theres not any other people and dont be alarmed by the smoke.

halxi
03-29-2007, 08:45 PM
As far as cleaning the TB. I usually take the air cleaner off and wipe it down with some intake cleaner. Deep Creep works well for this as Vanilla mentioned.
The stuff you got should work on the IM. I just let it suck it through a vac line.
It will try to stumble a little. Just work the throttle with your hand, find a place to set the can.
People say it eats vac hose, Ive never seen that happen though. But just to be on the safe side you could use some extra vac line if you have any laying around.
Do it in a place where theres not any other people and dont be alarmed by the smoke.

i did mine in my neighborhood, knowing it would smoke... but most of my neighbors are assholes, so they had it comming for them!

PS: Its also a good way to find exhaust leaks if its smokin like crazy, you'll see it flooding out of weak areas in the exhaust.

Ichiban
03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
To clean the throttle body, I would use a rag, a brush and some lacquer thinner to wipe off deposits. This is really all it needs.

Estimated Prophet
03-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Sweet you guys rock. I'll probably do it today on my lunch break.

2oodoor
03-30-2007, 03:45 AM
To clean the throttle body, I would use a rag, a brush and some lacquer thinner to wipe off deposits. This is really all it needs.
I would not recommend using laquer thinner. It may loosen the deposits but it will also dry too quickley and leave the deposits further downstream.
You should use a product made for thorttle body cleaning as they come with a tube, you need some of the propulsion to blast into crevices around the throttle plate shaft. Use a toothbrush while you have things wet down good and brush up around the edges of the plate disc, behind the disc, and all around where the disc seats when it is in closed position. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.....
Do the intake cleaning seperatley. Ultimateley the best way to use intake cleaning solvent is to put it in a pressurized can with a regulator and allow it to go in the pvc tube or brake booster hose (do not let solvent get into brake booster, always disconnect it from the scene) slowley but yet strongley.
Be warned, sometimes your plugs won't survive these procedures and you may need to install fresh plugs afterwards.
Use professional products made to do these things or you risk damaging your O2 sensor and cat.

Estimated Prophet
03-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Well I got to work early and did it this morning. I let it in through the brake booster line and there was indeed a lot of smoke. Over all it was very easy to do and I'll get a chance to test drive it at lunch. I'm letting it idle awhile to let the carbon burn up.

I just did a tune up and bought Bosch Plats instead of nicer NGKs because I knew I'd be doing something like this and didn't want to ruin them. Now I have an excuse to get the Iridiums. :naughty:

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Typically, our cars don't like anything other than NGK V-Powers. You're going to see absolutely zero gain in performance from the iridium plugs. Maybe a bit of weight reduction in your wallet area.

Blizzard
03-30-2007, 10:49 AM
My car hates the Iridiums. They made the engine skip and sputter. It runs great on V Powers though.

MessyHonda
03-30-2007, 10:57 AM
well mine had some crapy bosh plugs and now i put v-powers and it good

Estimated Prophet
03-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Wasn't aware of that, I'll swap to V-Powers when I have the time.

MessyHonda
03-31-2007, 10:49 PM
i seafoamed my car yesterday...not alot of smoke. im going to try it again and let it sit for an hour this time

2ndGenGuy
04-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Make sure you run lots through the crankcase to displace all the oil and dry the bearings out. That should be good for it. Also make sure when you do it, that it knocks all the buildup loose from your crankcase. That way you can suck all that crap into the oil pump screen.

April Fools?

MessyHonda
04-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Make sure you run lots through the crankcase to displace all the oil and dry the bearings out. That should be good for it. Also make sure when you do it, that it knocks all the buildup loose from your crankcase. That way you can suck all that crap into the oil pump screen.

April Fools?

wtf.....dont do that....i only use it in my sexsexsex tank and break boster....never in the oil cuz the horror stories

forrest89sei
04-01-2007, 11:00 AM
wtf.....dont do that....i only use it in my sexsexsex tank and break boster....never in the oil cuz the horror stories

EW you don't use it your G-A-S Tank?

MessyHonda
04-01-2007, 02:46 PM
im about to do it...again...but i need to clean up the house.

Ichiban
04-01-2007, 05:04 PM

April Fools?

Yes, the oil pump quite enjoys chewing all that shit up so it can pack the filter with it until it bypasses it and feeds it back to your dry ass bearings.

igarut5410
06-10-2007, 01:36 AM
what vaccum line do you guys use to get the seafoam into the intake manifold? Im planning on doing it soon and i was wondering what vaccum line is the best one?

2oodoor
06-10-2007, 04:41 AM
what vaccum line do you guys use to get the seafoam into the intake manifold? Im planning on doing it soon and i was wondering what vaccum line is the best one?
brake booster, unhook it at the union on the firewall so you have a length of hose there to deal with it . You are going to need a hand holding the throttle so it does not drrown out the engine. let it go in as slow as you can so you get the benefit of letting the solvent hang around in the top end , give it time enough to do some disolving. Pour a can in the tank at the same time. Remember you are cleaning air intake as well as fuel

ahmad89
06-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I poured seafoam in my crank case and i didnt notice anything different except the rpms went up higher.

Sabz5150
06-10-2007, 12:18 PM
with our throttle bodies, you need to buy a different product by Seafoam called "Deep Creep." It's essentially Seafoam in an aresol can.

+1

2oodoor
06-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I poured seafoam in my crank case and i didnt notice anything different except the rpms went up higher.
do not do this guys, unless you are going to change the oil inside of 10 minutes or 10 miles, if even that. If you use Castrol GTX (just one of many) it is high detergent and will clean your motor out( crankcase and oil system) just fine, just keep your oil changed 2-3K miles like you should anyway.

ahmad89
06-10-2007, 01:28 PM
do not do this guys, unless you are going to change the oil inside of 10 minutes or 10 miles, if even that. If you use Castrol GTX (just one of many) it is high detergent and will clean your motor out( crankcase and oil system) just fine, just keep your oil changed 2-3K miles like you should anyway.
Crap what would happen if i dont change my oil until 3k miles?

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Umm, probably a spun bearing. You seafoam your old oil, not fresh.

ahmad89
06-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Umm, probably a spun bearing. You seafoam your old oil, not fresh.
Gay now i gotta change my oil but how long should i run the car for the seafoam to work. I ran it for like 2-4 min after i put it in.

Vanilla Sky
06-10-2007, 08:28 PM
When I seafoamed my truck's crankcase, I ran it for about 15 minutes. I revved it up to about 2,000 RPM and held it for about 30 seconds a few times. The oil that came out was lumpy.

ahmad89
06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
When I seafoamed my truck's crankcase, I ran it for about 15 minutes. I revved it up to about 2,000 RPM and held it for about 30 seconds a few times. The oil that came out was lumpy.
Thx i'll run my car for 10min and rev it to 2k. i'll change my oil after i do that.

MessyHonda
06-10-2007, 09:46 PM
i never run it on the oil...just break booster and fuel system...

ahmad89
06-10-2007, 10:29 PM
i never run it on the oil...just break booster and fuel system...
I think this is the first time the engine has been cleaned out or anything that cleans it, the oil i use is either penzoil or castrol gtx. After i run the car for 10min like i said, im going to change the oil.

MessyHonda
06-10-2007, 10:39 PM
yeah....i need an oil change too.

ahmad89
06-10-2007, 10:51 PM
yeah....i need an oil change too.
Whoa i didnt ask for your life story.:)

MessyHonda
06-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Whoa i didnt ask for your life story.:)

messymoblie tells no stories :welcome:

Vanilla Sky
06-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Hey, I'm about 5,000 miles overdue for an oil change. At least it's synthetic.

I have a new filter and new oil, but I have to take the time to get the car in the air and change the crap. Fun stuff.

ahmad89
06-11-2007, 09:11 AM
messymoblie tells no stories :welcome:
haha we all know you tell stories like the one you told me about you getting ripped off by a transvestite prostitute that one night.:eek:

MessyHonda
06-11-2007, 09:39 AM
haha we all know you tell stories like the one you told me about you getting ripped off by a transvestite prostitute that one night.:eek:

yeah dude...i thought i told you to lock all your doors and windows...cuz your mom always comes out at night. :inout:

ahmad89
06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
yeah dude...i thought i told you to lock all your doors and windows...cuz your mom always comes out at night. :inout:
lol tell your mom to go play a :violin: then she can :repost: her vagina/penis on the internet again and then i'll :stick: you and give you a :321: then the coolaid guy will :koolaid: i will say :Owned2: then you will :toilet: and ask for :help: and then im outta here :rice:. hahaha

MessyHonda
06-11-2007, 09:53 AM
ot...lol

ahmad89
06-11-2007, 09:55 AM
ot...lol
hahah you got :Owned: :bong:

2oodoor
06-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Mods, anybody, somebody needs to run some seafoam thru this thread

ahmad89
06-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Mods, anybody, somebody needs to run some seafoam thru this thread
hahahahaha:bandance:

Civic Accord Honda
06-11-2007, 10:17 AM
lol tell your mom to go play a :violin: then she can :repost: her vagina/penis on the internet again and then i'll :stick: you and give you a :321: then the coolaid guy will :koolaid: i will say :Owned2: then you will :toilet: and ask for :help: and then im outta here :rice:. hahaha
ROFL