PDA

View Full Version : Not Having A Good Day (help)

spades
03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Well after finally getting time to work on my accord I realized my battery was shot so I got a new one. While installing it I managed to touch the pos and neg with the ratchet and now my car starts no prob. I get minimal power to lights and everything else. When I honk the horn the interior lights dim. I know i'm a moron for touching them together. Can anyone help?

computer maybe?????
relay???
fuse i dont think so i look ??????????

spades
03-29-2007, 05:12 PM
i also checked the power line and its good the one going to the fuse box and the one going to the starter

Pico
03-29-2007, 05:47 PM
just a guess but check all the fusible links under the hood yoy may have fried one, I doubt you did any damage to the wiring or the ECU thats what the fusible links are for

spades
03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
god i hope thats all it is where would i find them

88Accord-DX
03-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Their on the left as your looking at the engine, above the battery under plastic top. There are screws on each side. I doubt you hurt your computer, not on these dinosaurs. Probably would on a late model one though..

spades
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
where the fuse box is????

Pico
03-29-2007, 06:59 PM
open the hood,youll see a black box on the passenger side fender,with a label on it thats the fuse box

MessyHonda
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/DSC00154.jpg

its the box with the green letters on it...its easy to open...as it just clips in

spades
03-29-2007, 07:03 PM
thats what i thought ill look tomarrow and let you all know what i find

Blkblurr
03-30-2007, 05:31 AM
If I understand what you did I don't think there are any fuses in the path of the short circuit. You had a wrench short between the positive and negitive terminals on the batt. right???

spades
03-30-2007, 05:39 AM
yup! and all the fusible links are ok

Blkblurr
03-30-2007, 06:15 AM
I susspect you may have a bad connection on the batt cable due to the short. Take them off anc clean them. You could also have a weak batt. Charge it them measure the voltage after that if you have a multimeter. You may have damaged a cell in the batt.

Estimated Prophet
03-30-2007, 06:24 AM
I say get another battery. I posted this in your other thread:

I did the same exact thing once except the battery wasn't installed yet. When I put it in all lights would turn on and the horn would honk non stop; I basically destroyed the battery.

spades
03-30-2007, 08:57 AM
ok i found out why i keeps running cuz the o2 sensor was unhooked be now when it runs it still starts no prob but the same thing honk the horn lights dim turn on head lights dim

where is the volt regular??
and is there a relay that can be messed up??

i looked at all the fuses in under the dash and under the hood all ok

cleaned the terms on the bat and checked the bat it is good

Estimated Prophet
03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
What did you do to check the battery?

EX-ileAccord
03-30-2007, 10:01 AM
The fuses that you should be checking dont look like fuses. They are screwed in on both ends. More then likely its one of those, some of them have small black covers over them (mine do anyway) double check them. There all high amprage fuses, and there usualy the first thing to blow when you do somthing like that

spades
03-30-2007, 10:22 AM
yup i look at them too they all look good mine have a clear top on them. and as for the the bat i took it back to the place i got it and the scaned it

Oldblueaccord
03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Well after finally getting time to work on my accord I realized my battery was shot so I got a new one. While installing it I managed to touch the pos and neg with the ratchet and now my car starts no prob. I get minimal power to lights and everything else. When I honk the horn the interior lights dim. I know i'm a moron for touching them together. Can anyone help?
computer maybe?????
relay???
fuse i dont think so i look ??????????

I think with out looking at any books most auto horns sinks to ground. Meaning it has a power wire going to it and the button just ground it to make it honk. When you surged the system you might have messed up some ground wires. Make sure the one on the valve cover is good as well as any other grounds. You can use a set of automotive jumper cables to make grounds temporialy. The alt. is regulated internally. The battery at rest should be 12.7V fully charged and running at idle the car should be 14v more or less. With lights on etc it should really stay at 14 v or so. anything less then battery voltage then something is wrong.

wp

spades
04-05-2007, 06:48 AM
i found it

spades
04-05-2007, 06:49 AM
so im a complete moron it was the ground from the bat to the body that eyelit was broke under the tape

thx for all your help

LiTtLe xOx BitT
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
Just curious but why does you quote say "DIVE IT LIKE YOU OWN IT" did you mean drive or is there something that im missing?

spades
04-06-2007, 11:02 PM
LOL ya i missed the r LOL thx