PDA

View Full Version : Needs work.

brownj218
03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I have the opportunity to get an 89, with less than 200K on the engine. It has a cracked windshield, and mad rust on both fenders and quarter panels. The owner also said that the clutch is starting to go and it needs tires and brakes. Assuming that I can do all this work myself, and all I have to pay for is parts, what is a good estimate of what this will run me. And I know that I haven't specified what is wrong with the brakes and what is wrong with the clutch, i just need a broad estimate. I also live in Toronto, Canada, so if anyone could hook me up with cheap parts, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MessyHonda
03-29-2007, 06:56 PM
rotors-80 bucks
pads-30 bucks
rear shoes-20 bucks
clutch-100 bucks
tires-150 bucks for just replacement
rust- you need to know body work and patch new panels in.
time replacing everything...lots and lots of hours

is the car carburated or fuel injected...if its fuel injected...get it fast.

brownj218
03-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Alright, thanks so much. I really need to know about the windshield though, because that will be the first thing that needs changing. Also, has anyone ever painted their car with Maaco? I was thinking after the body work, that will need to be done. Thanks.

bushbean
03-30-2007, 11:42 AM
With that much problems and hi mileage, he should be paying you to haul the car away for him. Also, with each disclosed problem, there are probably a couple of undisclosed ones. Like timing belts and axles.

2oodoor
03-30-2007, 11:49 AM
With that much problems and hi mileage, he should be paying you to haul the car away for him. Also, with each disclosed problem, there are probably a couple of undisclosed ones. Like timing belts and axles.
WISE WORDS:thumbup:

brownj218
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
First, let me point out that the engine has about 195,000 kms on it, which is about 121,000 miles. Also, I know the guy and he is an honest person. The car starts and runs now, those things are just so that I can get it certified to put plates on it. Also, he is giving it to me for the same price as he would get at the salvage yard for it. That way, if it doesn't work out, I can scrap it myself and get my money back. I just need to know what the least amount of work is that I can do to it to get it certified and legal to drive. Again, thanks for the help from everyone.

snoopyloopy
03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
well, if getting it certified includes rust inspection, it might not be a wise idea. visible rust means it spread much farther where you can't see it.

musclecarboy
04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
get it for a donor car