PDA

View Full Version : I think it's fuel related...

TeKKnoTeKK
09-08-2002, 01:29 AM
Lately my car seems pretty sluggish....it's really bothering me, it just doesn't have that "punch" it used to have. I've also been getting much worse gas milage, along with a significant decrease in power. I have been trying to think what it could be but I can't figure it out. Should I be looking for leaking gas, weak spark? I don't know lol.

Vanilla Sky
09-08-2002, 02:13 AM
well, along the lines of fuel... you can try a higher octane, but that probably won't get you too far... check your plugs, wires, alternator and battery (alt and batt are of a low probability, though)

you may have carbon deposites somewhere in the motor, or your injectors may be clogged

Derick

shepherd79
09-08-2002, 03:42 AM
try the fuel injector system cleaner. i found out that more expensive they are the better they work. i buy one around $6. don't get those ones that have nice lable. I like Lucas fuel system cleaner. it is under $3 and it works great.
the other thing is that your distributor is sending weak spark. so try getting another distributor from junk yard. It is usually the igniter. i am sure yo ucan get that thing at junk yard for almost nothing. at least that was the problem on my car a week ago.

YK86
09-08-2002, 04:07 AM
Check plugs, wires, rotor and cap, fuel filters, etc first. Sometimes, things get worn out faster than we think (or corroded).

smufguy
09-08-2002, 01:47 PM
like carotman mentioned a long time back, check for brownish deposit on the distributor cap. Ur ignitor might be getting weak too unless u have an aftermarket one. Also the probability is that ur radio condensor might be fucking up.. check the capacitance of it and see if its bwt the tolerable readings.

on the other hand, check if ur exhaust smells funky or when u have the car started up and idling and rev it up and have ur driver side door open and see if u smell gas. check if ur flex pipe is messed up. UR timing might be kinda sloppy too.

rocky2
09-08-2002, 02:13 PM
next time out: feel rotors drums for heat after a cruize. Try not to use brakes much during run.

jigga225
09-08-2002, 02:35 PM
berryman chemtool in the tank might help

TeKKnoTeKK
09-09-2002, 12:37 PM
looks like you were right rocky! It is my damn brakes, I touched those mofo's and I'm sure a blister will follow. So what is it? I can tell my rotors are starting to warp from the heat :mad:

rocky2
09-09-2002, 02:02 PM
remove calipers and try to push cup in with bleeder screw open.. Its problley froze. I'd change both calipers and master cylinder, and look at rear shoes and just adjust them up if they look fine.

TeKKnoTeKK
09-09-2002, 03:13 PM
well how can it be the calipers if it is happening on all four brakes? I could see how there could be a problem with the master cylinder tho. I don;t have much understanding of brakes, or cars at all for the matter :D This sucks, my car has been giving me problems lately. :mad:

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-09-2002, 05:18 PM
So all 4 brakes are hot after your cruize? A kind of similar thing happened to me too, but it was because of a stupid defective master cylinder (still cursing it from the massive headache it caused me...grrr). My old MC went bad, so I replaced it with a reman one. Turns out the reman one was defective, and it wouldn't release all the way and made the brakes drag. While in the process of doing this, it was constantly adjusting the self adjusters on the rear brakes alllllll the way out as far as they would go until everything just locked up (not totally locked up, but not drivable either) and I couldn't go anywhere. Oh and this was with new calipers, rear wheel cylinders, and shoes. Replaced the MC with another brand and it has since worked flawlessly.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help, lol :rolleyes:

TeKKnoTeKK
09-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Yeah I am thinking I will try bleeding the brakes first, if that does no good I will replace the master cylinder. They are going to have to special order it too....Grrr.

TeKKnoTeKK
09-18-2002, 12:58 PM
damn.....I replaced the master cylinder and the brakes are still dragging somewhat! My steering wheel has also started shaking back and forth sometimes which is really annoying, something is going on here. Anybody have more ideas?