PDA

View Full Version : 87 lxi alternator

tomsmith
03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
having an issue with my alternator. at low rpm's the idiot light comes on, i get up over 3k rpms and it flickers a bit then goes out. just had it changed a couple years ago and doesn't seem like it should have crapped out on me already.

now my question is do i have to take off that drivers side halfshaft or is there some other way to get that thing out of there, like say taking off the air filter housing? i don't have the tools or space to remove it myself and i don't really feel like paying someone $400 bucks to do it for me.

88Accord-DX
03-30-2007, 05:10 PM
From what I know about these fuel injected models, you can pull it out the top. I beleive you take some of the air peices off the intake, or the intake plenum itself.

Sounds like the brushes went out too soon on your alternator.

Pico
03-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Just like you bot said remove the air box, unbolt the alternator. you'll need a 12mm wrench for the top bolt and the adjuster nut and a 14mm wrench for the lower mounting bolt, use a 10mm socket to loosen and remove the power wire on the alternator unplug the harness and you'll be all set to remove the unit thru where the airbox was sitting.
Dont forget to disconnect the battery first!!!

tomsmith
03-31-2007, 12:43 PM
thanks for the info guys. i was able to pull it out the top without taking the whole air filter box off, just the cover. wish i had known i could do that before, coulda saved myself 400 bucks from the last time it went out and had to take it to the shop.

and is it just me or does everyone have a love/hate relationship with
hondas? lol

Pico
03-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Arent you glad to know that you can get it done easily and then wonder why the heck they charged you so much to do it :(