PDA

View Full Version : Rack and pinion replacement

89hondaSOHC
03-30-2007, 09:09 PM
:) I have to replace the rack, it leaks like CRAZY. I fill up the reservior up everyday and by the end of the day (apx. 20-30 miles) its empty. I bought a new one and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to do this before i dive in.

AZmike
03-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Count the number of turns it takes to remove each tie rod end. This will help you keep your toe setting close to what it is now. If they're different, put each one back the average number of turns. Once the new rack is in, flush the system (rack will likely include instructions). Use only Honda PSF or a fluid specifically labeled for Hondas. I found that Honda PSF is cheaper at the dealer than the compatible stuff at autopart stores.

Here's what I remember about the procedure:
1 Remove subframe brace and exhaust section from under engine
2 Disconnect tie rod ends from uprights
3 Disconnect steering shaft U joint (from inside car)
4 Disconnect 4 hardlines from control valve (2 12mm 1 14mm 1 17mm iirc) flare nut wrenches would be best (have a pan, there will be a pint or two of fluid)
5 Push rack one direction (I forget, but from underneath it should be obvious), remove mounting brackets, then move the whole rack sideways then down and out.
6 Transfer tie rod ends to new rack, and move rack to the same position at full lock as old rack (this should keep the steering wheel reasonably close assuming you didn't bump it while disconnecting it)
7 Reverse of above, be sure the fittings are threaded properly before using a wrench
8 Get it aligned or I can explain how to do it yourself with if you're willing to spend some time to save the money.

89hondaSOHC
03-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I would like to know how to do it myself if you would be so kind as to explian. Does it really matter THAT much about the PS fluid? I have the honda kind but cant i just use stuff from autozone?

russiankid
03-31-2007, 02:22 PM
I would like to know how to do it myself if you would be so kind as to explian. Does it really matter THAT much about the PS fluid? I have the honda kind but cant i just use stuff from autozone?
If you put anything else besides Honda PSF you will ruin your rack. You will see sudden leaks, and some hoses may start leaking as well as the pump. Your whole power steering system was designed for Honda PSF, so use it, we don't just say it for our sake.

89hondaSOHC
03-31-2007, 02:50 PM
If you put anything else besides Honda PSF you will ruin your rack. You will see sudden leaks, and some hoses may start leaking as well as the pump. Your whole power steering system was designed for Honda PSF, so use it, we don't just say it for our sake.

Calm down there tiger. Ok i was just asking, i havent been useing it but i dont drive my car that much and the rack was destroied when i got the car. What is the difference between hone psf and the others?

russiankid
03-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Calm down there tiger. Ok i was just asking, i havent been useing it but i dont drive my car that much and the rack was destroied when i got the car. What is the difference between hone psf and the others?
I am calm, i was just saying. I'm not sure on the difference, i guess it is the particles and additives used in the fluid. I know for a fact when i replaced my fluid with Honda fluid there was a noticeable difference.

89hondaSOHC
03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
I am calm, i was just saying. I'm not sure on the difference, i guess it is the particles and additives used in the fluid. I know for a fact when i replaced my fluid with Honda fluid there was a noticeable difference.

Really? The only reason i didnt do it was becasue i had to replace the rack anyhow.i have to drain and bleed the system, so after that i will use the honda brand

russiankid
03-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Really? The only reason i didnt do it was becasue i had to replace the rack anyhow.i have to drain and bleed the system, so after that i will use the honda brand
Bleeding the system is easy. Just fill it up and start the car and turn the wheel left and right all the way about 10 times. Thats the way i did it.

AZmike
03-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Bleeding isn't the same as flushing. I do both when I replace a rack and pinion.