PDA

View Full Version : port n polished head with B16 intake. will i run lean?

newaccorddriver
04-01-2007, 11:24 PM
like the topic says. i plan to run elijahs head which has been ported and polished, along with a B16 intake manifold, a B18 throttle body, and a short ram. im not exactly if anybodys done this before, but i will definetely get some better numbers out of it, but my main question is, will i be running lean?

the ECU isnt programmed to see the higher amount of air that gets into the cylinder, so im wondering if i would run lean. would the ECU compensate for the higher flow, or would i run it to a point where i can cause some damage to my motor?

shepherd79
04-02-2007, 01:18 AM
get yourself wideband and SAFC and you should be able to adjust it if it starts running lean.

cygnus x-1
04-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Or at least a wideband O2 sensor so you can see if further corrections are needed.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-digital-wideband-controller-with-sensor-p-41.html?osCsid=b0ff43638d654bc441912069497755c0

Add a gauge and go.

C|

newaccorddriver
04-02-2007, 10:00 AM
ive already got a wideband, but im not sure if running these parts requires an SAFC. i dont want to spend money needlessly since i plan to go turbo and i already have megasquirt. the reason why im not going megasquirt yet is cause i dont want to wash away my cylinder walls before breaking it in.

newaccorddriver
04-03-2007, 12:13 AM
im not sure if this is a solution to the whole running lean part, but in the event i do run considerably leaner then what i expected, would i be able to turn up the fuel pressure and spray more fuel in as a quick fix before i decide to go stand alone?

also, the B16 mainfold will kill my low end, the ported head probably wont help it out much either. with an adjustable gear, would i be able to move the powerband lower in the rpm range to compensate?

LX-incredible
04-05-2007, 08:20 AM
im not sure if this is a solution to the whole running lean part, but in the event i do run considerably leaner then what i expected, would i be able to turn up the fuel pressure and spray more fuel in as a quick fix before i decide to go stand alone?
also, the B16 mainfold will kill my low end, the ported head probably wont help it out much either. with an adjustable gear, would i be able to move the powerband lower in the rpm range to compensate?
Good questions... Anyone?

MessyHonda
04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
yes you are right the b16 mani will kill some low end but it make it up on top end...you guys got to remember that the b-series engines like to run around 5-8k RPM and it was desined to flow at that type of speed. Yes the cam gear will help but then you wont see alot of topend.

i know you have a serious engine.....and i dont think you will notice it alot epecially with all the work eliah and you have done.

you said you were going megasquirt?

newaccorddriver
04-05-2007, 09:14 AM
yes you are right the b16 mani will kill some low end but it make it up on top end...you guys got to remember that the b-series engines like to run around 5-8k RPM and it was desined to flow at that type of speed. Yes the cam gear will help but then you wont see alot of topend.

i know you have a serious engine.....and i dont think you will notice it alot epecially with all the work eliah and you have done.

you said you were going megasquirt?

i find that low end/top end with this particular engine is a compromise unlike all the other B series engines. im not sure how id like to set the gear up on a turbo engine though

as far as the work on the motor goes, im not going all motor here, im just trying to break in the motor properly so i can quickly go megasquirt and then turbo. the main reason i dont want to go megasquirt so early with the new engine is because running rich will basically kill the engine like it did elijahs wifes skyline.

if everything is going right for me this summer, megasquirt shall be up and running, and if so, more likely be turbo as well.

kraftaroni
04-08-2007, 03:49 PM
No you should not run lean at all! no matter how much the head is ported. For that matter even with the b18 throttle body and the aftermarket throttle bodies for a b18/16 are 68 mm ourethrottle bodie on the a20 is only 55mm. The computer will compensate for the 10mm difference in flow without a problem, but if you have a wideband then you shouldn't have any problem at all dialing in your fuel pressure for a more acurate a/f ratio.