PDA

View Full Version : My shocks are shot... Need help!!

HondaManDan
05-07-2002, 06:18 PM
Alright guys... i have an 88 accord lx... the struts are shot.... i was wondering what you guys have in your cars... im gonna get a performance set of struts and some lowering springs... im thinking 1.5" drop... im looking for a riggid suspension with some smoothness to it... know what i mean? so when i hit a bump the car doesnt bounce an inch but i cant feel every little bump in the road?... please help me out here.
thanks.....
Dan:wtf: :stupid:

carotman
05-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Neuspeed makes an exact 1.5 inch drop for our car. I got this setup and I'm satisfied with it. It's not too low and I can go wherever I want....

I used Tokico gas struts to go with that. I'm pleased with the results.

Here is what the drop looks on the car.

http://pages.infinit.net/omus/blue89/160701/side.jpg

Jims 86LXI HB
05-07-2002, 07:13 PM
im looking for a riggid suspension with some smoothness to it... know what i mean? so when i hit a bump the car doesnt bounce an inch but i cant feel every little bump in the road?... please help me out here.

What your asking for pretty much describes koni's. A few member's with the tokico's are on record saying that they feel the tokico's are a little to soft in the front. I remember carrotman even telling me that he felt this way to, especially while going over bridge expansion joints. So what does this mean for you? If you had not choosen to ask your question the way you did, I would not blink an eye at a tokico strut+brand x spring combo. But when someone ask's for a ridged suspension that doesn't bounce (big bumps, little bumps, undulations, upheavels, ect) then I can only recommend the sep-up I HAD to go to, to get those results. I tried Bilstein H.D.'s and they did not meet the same requirement's you are asking for, they had bounce. I now have Koni specail's on my car. They are firmer then the Bilsteins, you do not feel every bump in the road, the car never ever bounces for ANY reason, and the car has a MUCH better feel to it, very sporty.(if you run oem wheels and tires with my setup the car will feel somewhat spongy, it does need at least 15"s to be the best it can be.)

What spring to go with is kinda up to you, I'm running H&R's and am very happy. Neuspeeds are the softest lowering spring you can get for our cars, nothing wrong with that, several members have them and are happy with them. The B&G spring from shox.com would be the firmest 1.5" spring you can get.

I can tell you that the best place to buy either the Tokico's or the Koni's is at shox.com $235 for the tokico's and $424+free shipping on the Koni's.

86AccordLxi
05-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Carotman, do you ever scrape your exhaust due to the lowering of your car? I ask because i want to lower my car (in the future) but I'm afraid of scraping my tips.

Alex

carotman
05-07-2002, 07:58 PM
No preblem with the exhaust at all.

But Jim is right, the tokicos are soft in the front.. expecially on the large bridges we have here....

Next time I'll get adjustable shocks... but they cost alot more...

RCracer
05-09-2002, 02:39 AM
Hi
I have Konis with H&R springs and as Jim said they are pretty much what you are looking for.
They are not that hard that you feel every bump but they are hard enough to make the car drive and handle nice.
One thing I have noticed since putting on the suspention is how better the car stops and feels when brakeing. There is a lot less weight transfer than before.