PDA

View Full Version : Battery to Alternator Wire

Pico
04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Ok I searched and found some answers, but still not to sure on the correct way to do this.
I want to run a fused 4 gauge wire directly from the alternator to the battery do I just disconnect the original wire on the alternator or do I leave that and the new one on. And if I do not use the original wire do I pull a fuse so it gets no power to it , I know the question sounds confusing but I'm just as confused.
Can anyone who's done this or has thought about doing this point me in the right direction.

Oldblueaccord
04-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Add the wire and leave all the stock stuff alone. The fuse may cost you some $$ it will have to be pretty big for a 4 guage wire.

wp

Blkblurr
04-03-2007, 04:28 AM
What's the point of putting a new fused wire from the Alt to the battery if you leave the old on in place? Hey that was my 1000th post.

skycam_313
04-03-2007, 08:01 AM
hey roger...... is that frank frazetta in your avatar????

2oodoor
04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Hey what is your goal here by doing this 4ga wire thing?
You really need to have a super good connection done at the fuse holder and both ends, this is hi amp connection prone to heat if there is any resistance.

You could use motorola fuse and wire harness from a trunked radio, which most emergency veh and commercial do not use much anymore so there should be some freebies around. Or competition type stereo equipment dealer may have something.

If you want alternator cut out for racing, you should use microswitch or toggle switch on small guage wire at regulator field on alt.

MessyHonda
04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
ok some background info guys...he moved his batt to the trunk.

when i was taking electronics class it said that 4 guage wire is good for like 100amps so just get a fuse around that...it cant be more than like 8 bucks at like a stereo store.

Pico
04-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey what is your goal here by doing this 4ga wire thing?
You really need to have a super good connection done at the fuse holder and both ends, this is hi amp connection prone to heat if there is any resistance.
You could use motorola fuse and wire harness from a trunked radio, which most emergency veh and commercial do not use much anymore so there should be some freebies around. Or competition type stereo equipment dealer may have something.
If you want alternator cut out for racing, you should use microswitch or toggle switch on small guage wire at regulator field on alt.
Just upgrading the wires on the alternator, I've always had trouble with dimming lights and so forth even after upgrading my grounds and changing alternators, this is the last thing I havent done so I figure it should help.
Like Messy said by battery is now in the trunk so I want to do all I can to help my electrical system out

mkymonkey
04-03-2007, 08:40 AM
well if youre going to "replace" the stock wire with a new one, why would you leave the stock on in there? maybe im just not understanding your question. a pic would help

Pico
04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
well if youre going to "replace" the stock wire with a new one, why would you leave the stock on in there? maybe im just not understanding your question. a pic would help
I found a post on google where they piggy back both wires together, but it didnt really explain why they do it that way

mkymonkey
04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Link!!!

nswst8
04-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Remove the old wire all together it will just act like a wick on a candle. Extra draw on the alt. Electricity travels the least path of resistance (ie. 4 gauge wire)

Pico
04-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Wire (http://www.alternatorparts.com/FAQ.htm#bat%20wire)
Link!!!

Pico
04-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Remove the old wire all together it will just act like a wick on a candle. Extra draw on the alt. Electricity travels the least path of resistance (ie. 4 gauge wire)
I'll do it that way.
Thanks

Blkblurr
04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
it's piggy backed to increase the ability to carry current. If done properly and only one fuse used for the connected conductors, you should be ok. The better solution would be to put a single conductor in that will handle the currnet of the system then size the fuse to protect the wire.

Oldblueaccord
04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Add the wire and leave all the stock stuff alone. The fuse may cost you some $$ it will have to be pretty big for a 4 guage wire.
wp

Theroy being that electricity will go to the path of least resistance.

Simplicity. Won't have to figure out what wire to cut what gets power from the wires your cutting etc. Only draw back on older vehicles that have a amp meter it won't read correctly.

wp

Blkblurr
04-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Theroy being that electricity will go to the path of least resistance.
Simplicity. Won't have to figure out what wire to cut what gets power from the wires your cutting etc. Only draw back on older vehicles that have a amp meter it won't read correctly.
wp
As long as the new wire goes to the same place as the old; ie; the battery, there will be no electrical difference in the car system. You will get more capacity in this connection, some goes through each leg based on it's resistance. It's best though to use one wire because you only need to maintain it's connection and that's what most people expect to find.

ahmad89
04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
wouldnt disconnecting the battery not give it any power?