PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil

ahmad89
04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
My car has another issue, burns or oil leak, when im driving and im stopped sometimes i see a very light smoke coming from the front of my hood its barely noticeable in day time but at night you can see it sometimes if you look at the front. When i have my car parked i see black spots under it, theres too much gunk and stuff to tell where its leaking and i havnt had time to check it out but its not burning or leaking that much. What can i do or product to use to stop the leak or burning? 1989 accord DX coupe.
Also forgot to say im back with another issue. hehe
Also how can i fix my a/c idle boost? when im stopped with the a/c on the rpms drop dramaticaly to around 500 or less RPMs and sometimes my car shuts off it gets so low. I tried to adjust it but when i turned the screw nothing happened. What can it be?

MessyHonda
04-04-2007, 02:05 PM
ish....maing....the only way to stop the leak is by replacing the gasket that it leaks from. i would start from top to bottom so replace your valve cover gasket..if you see oil under it....then power wash your engine bay and then if it starts to leak its going to be your oil pan gasket. mine has a small leak and it lands on the exhaust and it makes it smoke some times.

ahmad89
04-04-2007, 02:31 PM
How many gaskets are there in the engine just the valve cover gasket and head gasket? Are they easy to replace or do you need an engine lift?

cygnus x-1
04-04-2007, 04:33 PM
There are quite a few gaskets and seals in the engine overall but only a couple that would be leaking oil. The most likely candidate is the valve cover gasket. If it leaks oil will drip down onto the exhaust manifold and will smoke. And it will also drip down the side of the engine and onto the ground. I would almost guarantee this is the problem. They especially like to leak around the corners by the distributor and cam gear.

C|

EDIT: Fixed spelling.

Estimated Prophet
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
My hatch would smoke at times like yours and it was the valve cover gasket. I think there's a how-to on the forum somewhere. I've never done anything more than a tune-up to my cars and I followed the guide with ease. Solved my problem.

ahmad89
04-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone i will look into trying to do it myself but if its hard or requires special tools or something i will get a pro to do it. thanks again.

cubert
04-04-2007, 06:18 PM
if youre gonna put any form of water under the hood to clean it protect the electronics first...

ahmad89
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
yea i know about that but im not going to do that if i do i will get it done professionaly.

ahmad89
04-05-2007, 06:17 AM
yall know how i can fix my A/C idle boost issue?

nswst8
04-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Replace the A/c idle control solenoid.

On your oil leaks the one that was the greatest mystery to me was the OIL FILTER BASE SEAL your oil screws into a base unit under that base is a seal replace it. Its nortorious for leakinking onto the exhuast pipe.

ahmad89
04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
the seal where the oil filter goes? can i get it at walmart or autoparts store?

russiankid
04-05-2007, 04:15 PM
the seal where the oil filter goes? can i get it at walmart or autoparts store?
Order one from Honda. One reason is that it is very hard to get to, and a pain to replace(unless you have a helping hand). So replace it with a Honda seal and forget about it cracking or leaking for another 15 years.

ahmad89
04-21-2007, 11:06 PM
anyone know how much the seal for the oil filter is and where i can get it for cheap besides the dealer and is it hard to install?

shepherd79
04-22-2007, 03:41 AM
you can only get the seal from a dealer. If i was you, i would take it to a dealer or mechanic you trust and let him do it.
even for myself, replacing that seal is pain in the ass.
while you there tell them to replace the valve cover gasket as well.

russiankid
04-22-2007, 08:07 AM
you can only get the seal from a dealer. If i was you, i would take it to a dealer or mechanic you trust and let him do it.
even for myself, replacing that seal is pain in the ass.
while you there tell them to replace the valve cover gasket as well.
He could also get the oil pan gasket checked out and maybe replaced.

ahmad89
04-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Thx guys, i wasnt gonna change the gasket myself cause from when i changed my filter i was in an akward position. I just hope the dealer doesnt rip me off too bad.