PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Honda Accord Si?

2Fast_Fiero
09-08-2002, 11:07 AM
I know that the 88 Lude is somewhat similar to the 88-89 Accord SEi, I want to do a SEi conversion to my 89 LXi (Rear Disc Brakes), But I just started brainstorming, I just got back inside from looking at the 4WS System on my dads 88 Prelude Si and it looks Impresive, It looks DO-A-BLE, It looks like it will be as easy to convert your LXi into an SEi as you can to a Si, The Si has Rear Disc Brakes just like the SEi, but it has 4WS, I want to go to a junk yard and pull the rear end off of a Si Prelude, get the 89 Cord LXi on some sort of lift so that I wont have to lay in gravel to look at this, but I belive it can be done just as easily as the SEi Rear Disc Brake Conversion, This would help on my journy to making my '89 Honda Accord LXi into a '89 Hybrid Accord SiR-T, I will look more into it and get back at you all, I would realy like some imput on this Idea.

night
09-08-2002, 11:14 AM
doable but gonna take a lot of custom work.

good luck makin the rack fit....

2Fast_Fiero
09-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Rack? I'm talkin about taking the WHOLE rear end off the Si, and customizing it onto the Accord, I want to take the center peice that the control arms that control the Si are mounted to, I know a guy that does some KICK ASS welding, I was thinkin we could cut this in half to be the right size cause the Lude is wider down there then the Accord. That place that does brakes for a living might lemme store my car in thier shop since they also do alignments, I could probably just install the Si system with no customizations, (the wheels will be DREADFULLY off alignment) but I could just find out how much each side needs to be shorter, I think it will be a fun project. Time to start scavenging the Junk Yards for a 1989 Honda Prelude Si and 1989 Honda Accord SE-i :help:

2Fast_Fiero
09-08-2002, 11:29 AM
1989 Honda Accord LXi:

1988-1989 Honda Prelude Si Rear End W/Rear Disc Brakes and 4WS System.
AEM Big Rotor W/4 Piston Calipers Front Brake Kit
AEM Big Rotor W/4 Piston Calipers Rear Brake Kit

87Hybrid
09-08-2002, 04:21 PM
The prelude had a different mount on the strut more like a front strut mount on a different car where the teh strut fit in a pocket where the Accord had the lower control arms mounting. It is completely different and as far As I could tell not interchangeable.

2Fast_Fiero
09-08-2002, 04:46 PM
I didn't look that far up my dad's prelude's skirt, I mainly looked at the 4WS area, alot of those things l saw looked alot like some things on the accord. What I wanna buy both the SEi and Si rear ends is so I can have my rear end torn apart, and start building things on, like lego's but NOT :lol I wanna see if I can make an 4WS System for the accord with those two, if cuting and welding needs to happen, No problem, My last job I made alot of friends and I could most likely store my car in the smaller shop thats not realy being used other then for storage, and Just play around, I think I'm gonna do this durring X Mas Time so I can have like 2 weeks off of work and just play around, if it don't work and absolutely CANNOT be done, then I'm just gonna put the SEi rear end on and store the Si parts for my dads Lude just incase he needs it, or sell the parts to someone for a few bucks.

carotman
09-08-2002, 06:11 PM
if it's only a inch off, you'Re screwed...

good luck, you'll need it.

2Fast_Fiero
09-08-2002, 06:31 PM
No I'm not, if its only an inch off, I'll take it apart and put just the SEi rear end on

2Fast_Fiero
09-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Allright, now I'm officialy confused. I went outside and looked under the rear end of the 1988 Honda Prelude Si and it is like a Mimicing 4WS, There is a bar connected to the rear end that when the car goes into a body roll, the rear tires turn. Well on that brake and chassis repair program I have, it has a diagram of the Si 4WS, and it shows REAL 4WS, actual steering in the rear It has a bar going from the front steering to the rear axle type of thing that turns the rear wheels, This is not what I meant when I 'm gonna install the Si System in my car, I meant the MIMICING 4WS that is on my dads 88 Lude Si. Can someone explain where this other steering system came from>?

night
09-10-2002, 05:34 PM
:confused: you mean the sway bar ? http://www.g2ic.com/forums/images/smilies/crazy.gif

87accordlxi
09-10-2002, 07:48 PM
so yeah, this is the same car that will have the future F20 swap?

2Fast_Fiero
09-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Well, MIGHT have the F20 Swap, but no not the sway bar, this is trippy, I'll try and take pics, but on the brake program I have, it shows the SI as having REAL 4 wheel steering, and when I looked under my dads car, it had a mimicing 4ws. and what about it about me having the F20B? I'm seriously concidering it, as long as PRi comes though for me.

2Fast_Fiero
09-10-2002, 09:52 PM
What I was told about the Si Preludes from my mechanic, is when in a turn the car starts to do a body roll, the rear wheels will turn to comfensate for the body roll and help turn, Ive felt it turn cause its trippy as hell, and when I looked under the car, there is this bar that connects to the rear wheels that holds the steering, the rear end looks like its capable of steering, and this bar is like what makes it steer, but in the pictures, it shows actual steering box in the back and shit, I'll take pics and show you.

CARBurn
09-22-2002, 05:24 PM
I have to admire the way you think, but the only thing with that 4 WS system on the Prelude is maintaining it if you can get it on. I have heard the system can get expensive if something is worn and needs replacing. Since you will probably need to do some custom work, well the price for maintaining it can get higher.

Just thought you should know that, since you want to put it on the rear of your Accord. I'd definitely like to see it, if you can possibly do it.

2Fast_Fiero
09-22-2002, 05:36 PM
I can't do this until I understand WHY there are two totaly different systems on the same year USDM Prelude SI's

DarknessRS
09-23-2002, 02:52 PM
From what I understand, the 4WS system makes but only a minute difference in handling. Otherwise, Honda would have carried the system over and/or refined it for their newer vehicles.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by DarknessRS
From what I understand, the 4WS system makes but only a minute difference in handling. Otherwise, Honda would have carried the system over and/or refined it for their newer vehicles.

Certainly I'd read a road test from one of the big mags for that generation of prelude with 4ws, before I even thought about turning a wrench.

BTW darkness, a few S13's had super hicas, (4 wheel steering):D
limited slip and abs came with the package ;) :D

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
09-23-2002, 05:27 PM
So when are you gonna buy the 3G? Cause ur gonna need a car to do all of this!@@:lol

djsbon
09-23-2002, 05:29 PM
doable kinda like a goat in the eye.

MoonScryer
09-23-2002, 06:13 PM
OK,, not to be daft, but the 4WS was a waste of money, time, and likes to break. Plus, you can only get parts direct from Honda, and they are not cheap for that. Plus, fixing it? Ummm, no.

Sounds like a wonderful idea in principle, but it's like the HICAS on 300z's, best taken off. :D

2Fast_Fiero
09-23-2002, 10:35 PM
No, its not actual 4ws. Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,UGG I dunno. That program I have shows that the Prelude has TRUE 4WS, meaning if you are dead stoped and you turn the wheels, the rears will turn as well. My dads isn't like that. Its different, I dunno I'm gettin so confused...Ohh and Mat, I'm buying a NEW 3G. I allready got one remember..1987 LXi Sedan. And people only use 300Z's for drag racing, thats why they allways take the HICAS system off. My good friend owns one of the fastest 300ZXTT's ever. and I've driven a few, the 4ws is perfect for what I do. I dont realy give a shit about drag racing. I like doing the long S Curved Style Roads roads. Not like I'm complaining on the handleing of the Accord or anything, it takes the corners on this mountain better then most cars thats ever been on it. (Excepting that there was once a Dodge Viper up here a few times) but other then that. I want the best handeling posible. But I'm startin not to care about doing the 4WS tho. I'm more interested in other things at the moment. And Pluss. this shit is too confusing. One system shows a fucking steering box in the rear of the car, and my dads dont have that, but his is an Si, and when it does like a body roll kinda thing, the rear wheels turn to comfensate. I love the handeling of my dads car.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-23-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
I want the best handeling posible. But I'm startin not to care about doing the 4WS tho.

I double dog dare you to let me order your suspension system for you, I'll get you your best handling possible and you won't even have to drive all these folks crazy in the process:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RCracer
09-24-2002, 12:31 AM
No, its not actual 4ws. Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,UGG I dunno. That program I have shows that the Prelude has TRUE 4WS, meaning if you are dead stoped and you turn the wheels, the rears will turn as well. My dads isn't like that. Its different

The rear steering you are talking about (with the rear steering rack) is called a active rear wheel steer.
The other type where the suspension movement causes rear wheel steering is called passive rear wheel steering.
They are two totally differant ways of going about thuings.
I'm not sure that the prelude had passive rear wheel steer though (well not in the UK) I have seen the ones with the active rear wheel steer (when the wheels turn when you turn the steering wheel) but not heard anything about the preludes having passive rear wheel steer.

All I know is that the people that tune preludes in the UK prefer the non rear wheel steer type anyway.

2Fast_Fiero
09-24-2002, 11:29 AM
Ohh Realy Jim? And thank you Aerodeck for covering that up. but right now I'm to busy with other issues (Dealing with the Mentaly Retarded People.)

markmdz89hatch
09-24-2002, 12:11 PM
...And people only use 300Z's for drag racing, thats why they allways take the HICAS system off. My good friend owns one of the fastest 300ZXTT's ever. and I've driven a few, the 4ws is perfect for what I do. I dont realy give a shit about drag racing. I like doing the long S Curved Style Roads roads.

Ok, so who here was thinking.. "it's only a matter of time before Mark reads this and has something to say about it..".. Well, if you were one of em, congratulations, you thought right...

Hey MSI I happen to own a 300Z, and that's completly wrong about the drag racing thing. True, many do use them for drag, but for every person who does, there's another who uses it for other applications where handling is No.1. True, many people, once they've heavily modified their 300 will use the HICAS Eliminator kit. Reason for that is once they are generating enough horsepower, regardless of going straight or through the twisties, the hicas system can be more of a hinderance then help. When your whipping through the twisties at rediculous speeds, you want not only for the ass to be fairly tight, but most of all, you don't want to have to guess where it is gonna be. By using the hicas eliminator, your wheels no longer angle while steering, they stay straight. This gives the driver a better feel, and allows for less variable for error. Being that it's RWD, and NOT FWD, the ass end will kick out on you if you don't pay attention to what you're doing.

Secondly...
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MSIAccord_LXi
the 4ws is perfect for what I do. I dont realy give a shit about drag racing. I like doing the long S Curved Style Roads roads. Not like I'm complaining on the handleing of the Accord or anything, it takes the corners on this mountain better then most cars thats ever been on it. (Excepting that there was once a Dodge Viper up here a few times) but other then that. I want the best handeling posible. But I'm startin not to care about doing the 4WS tho.[quote]

...Ummmm... ...maybe it's just me, but are'nt you contradicting urself here? or are you just posting ur train-of-thought I really mean no harm in this, really, but some things just don't add up. BTW, WTF, I mean I frequent this board quite a bit almost everyday, and post when I see somewhere I want to. but you.. ...damn man... ..I mean you've only been a member here for like a month, and you've got damn near double my posts... ...what the hell do you do with urself all day other then sit on this board... ...and what the hell did you do with ur time before you joined the board?

markmdz89hatch
09-24-2002, 12:13 PM
holy shit.... ...sorry guys.... i just kept on typing, I didn't mean to drop that book on you.

I'll edit it if anyone feels that it was un-necessary, just let me know.

2Fast_Fiero
09-24-2002, 08:47 PM
What I did before I joined the board, was sit at my desk and the desk at work all the time when I'm not busy with a customer thinking of things I can do to my Accord. I never thought I would be this interested in it. What I do now is when I'm not on the board, I'm either outside doing things to my accord. Looking for head gaskets and a head, just incase it went that far. I've been trying to find out what on earth is wrong with my front passenger side wheel, its half an inch pushed back. I allways see something and say, hey lets ask the board what I can do to this......I never knew how much fun moding my 3geez would be until I found this board. Only reason I got that many posts is because my mind keeps brainstorming with thoughts that I cannot share with my best and only friend, I'm not a social person and my best friend is the one I talked to about these things. Now I relie on everyone on this boards knowledge. The thing that Aerodeck said about Passive Steering is what my dads lude has, I've driven my dads lude and I think its wicked on cornering...when I was looking under the ludes ass and the cords ass, alot of the things looked Identical. I know not everything, but most. So I would like to work with it to try and get it to work but not now. Not until I get my new car because if I can get this system to work on my LXi I got now. then I'll put it on my new one.

87Hybrid
09-25-2002, 04:03 PM
WOW you need to get your eyes checked. the accord has two stamped steel lateral linkes bolted to the unibody and the spindle, the prelude has a single cast lateral link bolted to the spindal. the mount for the reear shock on the accord is on the spindal and is on the lateral link on the prelude. You said in the engine mount post that you didn't trust your self welding up motor mounts, If you do this conversion in order to make it work you are going to have to cut parts of the suspension mounting points and weld them in to the accord. I personally would be much more comfortable welding motor mounts than suspension mounts.

I rresearched this extensively when I was considering using prelude disks in the rear of the accord and after looking at the differances and seeing no easy way to do the conversion I abandoned the Idea.

You keep telling us that you ask all of these questions to learn but when you have some one (like me) who has been building and modifing cars since I was 14 (my dad bought 2 wrecked vega's for me to make into one) and I am now 37 you don't listen and keep saying that you can do anything. If this is true then open your own motorsports shop and build show and race cars for a living. If not then quit beating a dead horse.

By the way tehre is this little button at the botom of the window that says "edit" you can use it to add to any post that you have just left. Like I just did. Then you won't look like a post whore.

PhydeauX
09-25-2002, 04:44 PM
Lucky, I wish my parents had kept their old vega for me. All I got from them was an old corolla with a bad carb (not that I'm complaining, I like my corolla), and no money or parts car to fix it.

The 3rd gen lude is kind of the black sheep of the accord prelude family as far as interchangability goes. Usually prelude parts will swap with an accord of the same or later generation. Not true on the gen3, off hand I can't think of one major component that will swap. I find it odd, from a few years of expierence diging though parts catalogs and junkyards hybriding cars, that honda would make a rear break setup just for one option package on one year of one modle of the accord. I knew the gen3 lude wouldn't work, neither would the gen2 lude, but I had hope for the first gen legend, its platform looks similar to the accord. Someone looked into that recently and unfortunately it came up as another dead end too. There is one flaw to my logic, I'm only taking us modles into consideration. I'd specualte that the 3rd gen accord Si (that is what the b20a powered accord was designated isn't it?) had a nice set of rear disks to help slow it back down. Someone probalby has already answered that, I don't pay that much attention. Maybe some of you overseas guys can make some money bringing over some rear disks to the states.

andy

87Hybrid
09-25-2002, 07:26 PM
I have had 3 corollas. all 3 were 76 2doors with the 2tc engine. The first one I bought with a thrown rod replaced the engine converted it to a manual after the trans went out, 13X7 slots on the rear with 50 series TA's and 13X5 slots on the front with pizza cutters, silfver in color.

The second got way more modified, after 265,000 miles the #2 cylinder lost compression so I replaced it with a 3TC and a 5 speed, webber carb, tuned header, 2 1/4" exhaust system, lowered 3" 14X7 turbo wheels, 185 60 14 toyo's, frenched antenna, tail lights shave door handles and locks with buttons in the mirrors and the alarm disarmed teh doors when armed, crx bucket seats, sunroof, SR5 console, and gauges, 280X hood louver on the drivers side of the hood, shaved marker lights with 60's mopar round markers in their place and SR5 flares.

The 3rd was a POS that I just bought to get me to and from work when My child support payment was 3/4 of my paycheck.

I always enjoyed those old toyotas.

2Fast_Fiero
09-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Dude, I said that I'm not interested in this any more. This was an old post anyways. not realy old but old enough, I allready said I had abandoned the Idea of doing this, I'm not interested in it, I am only interested now in getting the mounts, and the axles made for everyone that I'm promising them to. thats my goal right now. My goals in life now are to buy a new 89 Accord LXi, Repair the 87 LXi I own now, get it within running order and use it as my second car, Doing this engine swap even tho I'm not realy interested in the H22A since its been done allready. My goals on that are to get the list of people I need, hopefully PRI will allow me to grab less, if thats so then were in buisness, Another goal is to find someone wanting to do this in SoCal so that they can let PRi use thier car to prototype the mounts, my other goal is to get as man orders of custom made axles for everyone who does this. then after that my goal is to start college.

Another thing...I do listen to you, you are one of the people that I actualy trust in stuff like this, your one of few that I trust.

Grant2k
09-26-2002, 12:44 PM
87Hybrid, do you have any pictures of those corollas. i'd like to see those cars. My dad had an 83 i think that was just a commuter POS. i barely remember it.

PhydeauX
09-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Wasn't lucky enough to inherit a rear drive. I call it old but its an 87, a new comer as far as corollas go. My first project, the one I'll probalby never finish. At least I still work on it when I'm not working on the accord (which was supposed to be my beater untill I finished the corolla's motor swap)

andy

87Hybrid
09-26-2002, 03:28 PM
I will try to get them scanned at my dads this weekend.

HondaBoy
10-04-2002, 09:09 PM
hey if i wasnt mistaked. i saw a 4 door 3rd gen accord with the 4WS. i saw some kind of brochure that had it in it. i hope i can see it again.

madmod89lxi
10-06-2002, 09:03 PM
hey 87 hybrid leave the kid alone i give him props 4 trying my be som day if he keeps trying he will open a shop besides iown my ownshop ONELOVEKUSTOMS (little shot out there hehe) and i hate it i was much happier when i worked at another shop no name they still are my comp. and when i worked on nascar(whit my dad) ive been in pro car modding and racing since i was 17 working in shop part time since 14 so i give this kid props 4 trying

2Fast_Fiero
10-07-2002, 12:09 AM
Ever since I was able to talk and walk my parent's had me changing fluids n shit on thier GTO's and Chargers. My mom allways owned a Pontiac Trans-Am, her last one was a 91 GTA. I learned to drive at 5. I learned to drive standard at 7. I've been into racing and high performance since I turned 13.